Mini Layouts??

Tileguy

So, is this also to be the place to discuss Mini layouts and mini modules or will we be keeping that in its respective gauge??
I am going to begin a Mini layout today similar to Tysons winter project to give as a gift to a friend.It will be a bit larger(enough to increase the radius somewhat as I know tyson had a bear with laying that track),but the same scale and basic split backdrop 2 scene idea. Some idea's are just so good they must needs be copied(although not quite verbatim).
I believe he built his 1' x 2' and mine will be 18" x 36".This will give me a bit more leeway on equipment and wont be quite as restrictive as those challenge layouts Tyson was involved in.I couldnt believe how fantastic his turned out considering it was N scale and a continuous loop.
The extra width should lend enough room to add a facing point with a runaround track/passing track.
I need something to work on in the motel room while I am on the road these next couple of weeks so I thought what better way to while away the evening in a motel room :)

Now, the question is....................Is this the right place for this or is this area for Ntrack type stuff only.
If so, it wont hurt my feelings to have our new moderator move this thread to the appropriate forum.
I'm not really track planning,thats pretty much a given.I guess N scale forum would be the only other area to put it if this spot isnt right :)

NORC

If you have any Please post some photos and a track plan.

I also tryed to make a 18" x36" layout but I could have planed it a bit better.

Just put in the bigest curves you can.
You sould be able to fit in a small passing track. Mine can only hold 3 cars.

Looking forword to seeing it.

William

Tileguy

I can only show you Tysons which mine will be based on.differance being he had limitations due to it being a challenge plan.I dont have those same limitations so am going a bit larger with a larger radius.Instead of 2 turnouts I will likely use 3 per side.
For those of you who havent seen Tysons Mini, I'm sure he wont mind me posting a pic or 2.He really did a great job with a great concept :)

Attachments

• tysons mini layout trackplan.jpg
    tysons mini layout trackplan.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 398
  • tyson2.jpg
    tyson2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 383

Brewer

Cool. I'm making a small layout too and it's good to see others doing the same. The expense is lower and the work is faster. The challenge is getting it to run smoothly. My new rule: Anything over 40 scale feet is history!!!!:thumb:

Tileguy

Ive got a feeling i will be modifying 2 or 3 flat cars.I have some old time 36' boxcars i could play with.
I am not going to make a passing track for sure after playing around with laying out track.Oh well,we shall see what fits :D

Tileguy

I have some inspirational Photo's that i will be using as i design this mini.
I am sure not all will fit but this will give a sense of the direction I am leaning towards.I am hopful the extra 6" in width and 6" in length provides enough room for some of this.compression will be used of course out of necessity ;)
I have a Main street shot,granite quarry and slab loading, an old elevator along with a couple others.
Shall we start with main street :)

Attachments

• main street silver plume.jpg
    main street silver plume.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 382

Tileguy

Heres an old Mill building and a loading yard

Attachments

• granite mill 1 old timer.jpg
    granite mill 1 old timer.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 372
  • granite loading yard.jpg
    granite loading yard.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 375

Tileguy

The mill in the above post will have to be adapted for quarry type work but it at least gives a sense of the look i am after.

Here we have a shipping yard for processed granite.This will be adapted to fit,
The granite quarry will ship to the processing plant which it owns.

The Mill also owns the railroad and as an interesting twist,there actually was a prototype Granite Mill RR.In fact,it was the first RR to get a charter in these united states way back in the 1820's. An incline was also built to bring the rough blocks up out of the quarry.

Attachments

• granite packaging jpg.jpg
    granite packaging jpg.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 368

Tileguy

Here we have a granite surfacing yard

And finally an old feed mill exchange.it is questionable wether this one will make the cut and i think it highly unlikely i will have the room.Better to have another industry in the lineup and not use it than scramble for something later i say.
Besides, this one may at least find a home on my larger layout one day :)

Attachments

• granite surfacing.jpg
    granite surfacing.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 369
  • old feed mill-elevator.jpg
    old feed mill-elevator.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 364

Tileguy

Well, i ended up with a passing siding afterall.(surprised Tyson??) ;)
Here is a sketch of the mini track plan.
The Green line in the center is an 1/8" hardboard backdrop to seperate the scenes.
The ridge will be built using it as backing.This should work out pretty well particularly for the quarry area with block cutting being done along the ridge and the wall sheer and nearly straight up and down with some square cutting ledges .

Attachments

• Todds Mini Sketch3.JPG
    Todds Mini Sketch3.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 298

Tileguy

Track Testing was done last night.I found a few area's to fine tune but nothing that required a demolition hammer thankfully.With those kinds of radiuses i was really wondering.
After fine tuning i ran an Atlas RS3 through its paces.She ran at full speed not only on the main loop,but also switching to the passing loop(yes i was nervous at first).
It had trouble negotiating a couple of the turnouts in reverse but this is due I am sure to not having any positive locks on the turnouts yet.I need to install the caboose ground throws.
More next weekend.I'm outa town all week :)

Here is a thought for you, for what it is worth.
I don't have the space to have a big layout. I can squeeze in something though that measures 18"X 43" and have it in place permanently. It will be based off of Tysons' as well. I was all set to start building it when he came out with this new challenge of 1 sq ft. That seemed intriguing and a good place to get my feet wet. What I ended up deciding is this. I do have space for the main layout. I also have space to store 2 or 3 smaller modules when not in use. What I have decided to do is make the current challenge I am working on a module to the larger layout. I will have to adjust my original track plan but it will be a minor change. That will take care of one side. After the main layout is build I plan on building another module that will function fully as a stand alone but also attaches to the main layout. The idea is that thre isn't much mainline modeled between the modules but you have much more room to model the industries. In essence each module is an add on industry to the larger layout but they can all function on their own as individual railroads. On a layout with this size I could even see being able to operate with 1 other person on this small of a layout due to the seperation. The dispatcher role would be largely done ahead and 1 operator would just double whenever trains we operated on the main layout.

Just my 2 cents, again, for what ever it is worth to you.

tillsbury

Just something that came to mind... I love your Main Street picture, and I've seen lots of layouts like the one you show, but they have one of two problems -- either the buildings front on to the tracks (which is patently ridiculous) or they back on to them, so you can't see the street itself that you've spent so much time making. How about having Main Street at the front of the layout (with or without the road at the extreme front edge), and then the scruffy back yards and loading areas can be next to the tracks?

Charles

Tileguy

Being a Mini layout,downtown will be backed up to a ridgeline.the rural area will be off layout with a road crossing the tracks to get to the small downtown area.the right corner will be a waterfront scene.I'll scan another scrbbled drawing this weekend and scan it in .

After thinking about operations on my drive down i have decided to consider the outside loop as my connection to the rest of the world in the form of a regional or class 1 branchline.the inner point to point belonging to the industrial or local road.blocked seperatly this gives me the option of running 2 trains yet the small road can use the ragionals track for switching purposes.

The motel I am at is online so i may be able to pop in on occassion :)

Tileguy

After working through late saturday afternoon and getting home about 4PM,
I managed to get the inside track wired up as a second Block this weekend and spent some time working on tunnel portals.
I also looked high and low for an article on a stone milling operation I knew i had seen in one of the Modell rr mags.Now this may not seem like a big operation at first until you look at the enormity of the piles of mags i have managed to collect over the years.
Yes,i did find the article finally.It was in a 1966 MRC and includes plans for scratchbuilding the mill.
It will need to be modified to work on this mini layout, but its a good jumping off point for this particular building that will be much needed.

Of course Sunday it was so nice out i had to get the Honda out of the Shed and fire it up.Well that was that,i got back late last night after a nice long wind in my face fabulous spring ride!! :)

Tileguy

Moved forward today with the Mini.Tunnel entrances were placed and hard shell has been started.I will try to get the hardshell work finished this weekend and perhaps some rock castings and painting.depends on the weather.It was cool today ,but a nice day could put me back on the bike for awhile :)

Tileguy

Hardshell work is done and painted.Wiring is done for 2 train operation.Ive taped a couple of buildings (kitbash DPM parts) together to see what is going to fit and how things will look.
Initial gut feeling has downtown off line.No way,its just to small to get a good industry and a lil downtown area in without compressing it to the point of looking out of proportion.
Live and learn.this is my first mini afterall.
I also learned something about tunnel entrances.Make em bigger with tight radius's.Now ive got to weather my RS unit as if it scraped a stone wall :D

I planted a few temp Pine trees to see the effect and get my holes in before doing groundcover, it makes cleaning up of plaster dust easier.

Next step,Parking area's, roads, weathering track and initial ground cover plus buildings.
Structire outlines will be set up on the layout so I can work on the buildings on the bench.
Now, where did I put that Scenery bible by Frary ;)