Mini 1:480 Apollo Saturn V on LUT

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by londonbluemisty, Aug 16, 2007.

1. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

:wave:
    A Few pictures of my just finished Mini 1/480 scale Apollo Saturn on LUT designed by Mike B.
    It stands about 12" high....
    I thought I would start off small before I attempt the 1/96 LUT pictured aswell,that I have just received in the post from DM Productions(It is the one George B is currently building 1/60 scale(See his thread))...
    I will keep to the 1/96 scale to go with Ton Noteboom's 1/96 Saturn V.

Wayne

Attached Files:

2. George B

George B Senior Member

Help if needed

Hi Wayne,

Glad to see another LUT. LONG LIVE THE LUT :!:

That mini is a fun build, Mike did a great job on it! Be prepared for a little more detail work on your 1/96 version. I hope you can share build photos of it.

If you have any questions with regards to it's build don 't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    George

Here's mine. :)

Attached Files:

3. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Thanks!!

Hi George:mrgreen:

Thanks for that, My LUT build is a couple of builds away
    (SO MUCH TO DO SO LITTLE TIME!!)sign1
    After seeing the LUT graveyard photo's on the web,with my recent visit to Florida and KSC and seeing just 1 level preserved!!!!!!! I scoured the internet for a model to purchase to remind of things that once were,
    then I came across the one that you had purchased....
    I would love to add the detail you have but being 1/96 it might prove to small for my modelling skills!!
    After scanning I will still add stairs to each level and I will have to see how small or large railings would be for cutting??
    But I will definitely call upon your build skills if and when I encounter a problem.
    About your Build??...
    Are you building the Power Carrier Array from scratch?
    Because it ran up inbetween levels and I was just wondering how you was going to do it?...

Regards,
    Wayne
  4. George B

George B Senior Member

Hi Wayne,
    Yes I'm building the Power Carrier Array from scratch, I just recently started the design work. Instead of installing long pieces through the floors (disadvantage would be having to cutout and remove alot of the floor material) I decided to design smaller pieces which will fit in between the floors. They will be telescopic so as to achieve a tight fit against each floor.

Also, I'm going with different sized white paper straws (spiral wound) for all the propellant piping instead of rolling my own paper tubes. I like the idea of the slight spiral wound look which simulates the look of some of the real ones nicely(see photo).

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

5. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Mind Reader!!!!

Hi George,
    I must of read your mind!!!!:eek:
    These are 4mm paper straws,6mm paper artstraws are on there way!!

Regards,
    Wayne

Attached Files:

6. George B

George B Senior Member

Ha, same here. I figured I could use the 6mm when they arrive to fashion larger dia pipes. The only problem at this point is to figure out how to create a sweeping 90 degree angle.

Regards,
    George
  7. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Hi George,
    For the sweeping 90 degree angles.:confused:
    The only thing I have thought of but have not tried yet is getting some Pipe Cleaners to create the bend.
    Glueing one of these into the two ends of the straight run piping(paper straws).
    Then getting a long strip of white paper the same width as the paper straw spiral.
    Edge glueing the strip of paper and wrapping it like a bandage around the pipe cleaner!!
    As I say just a thought at the moment, got to try it!!
    Regards,
    Wayne
  8. ekuth

ekuth Guest

If the paper straws are wax coated, you could try gently warming them with a heat gun or some other method and gently bending...
  9. WeeVikes

WeeVikes Member

Wayne and George,I'm Mike B, the guy who designed the little LUT model. I'm glad you like it, and am gratified someone other than Jon Leslie and I actually built it!I've done a lot more research into the LUT while designing and building a 1/96 scale launch pad for a flying conversion I did to Ton's 1/96th Saturn V. As a result, I've found a lot of things I want to tweak on the little model, and will hopefully do so in the near future and ask Jon to re-release it. In fact, I've found a lot of things I wish I'd have done differently in my big LUT as well, but didn't know until it was too late. In fact, had I had a copy of the kit you two have, based on what I've seen in George's construction thread, my launcher would have been a lot more accurate in it's detail. Oh well, it's close enough for me and I'm happy with it.George, your work is amazing. I am in awe!Anyway, I'm new to the group and just wanted to introduce myself.Mike
  10. George B

George B Senior Member

Welcome

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the group!!!

Your talents have been enjoyed by many (me included). We'll all be looking forward to Mini LUT V2.0. :mrgreen:

Regards,
    George
  11. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Hello Mike,
    The same as George 'Welcome to the group':wave:
    I enjoyed making your 1:480 Saturn V & LUT!!!:thumb:
    Your 1/96 LUT & Saturn V flying conversion sounds interesting??
    Maybe you could post a few photo's of both on a thread sometime?....

Wayne
  12. WeeVikes

WeeVikes Member

Wayne,

Sure, I'd be happy to put some pictures up. As soon as I get some training on my wife's digital camera... That's what teenage sons are for, I guess. The Saturn V is based on a couple of conversions to Ton's model I saw on Jon's website. The LUT framework and the crane are made primarily of wood, sort of like an RC airplane, and the decks, arms, & other details are paper/cardstock. The plumbing is 1/8th inch diameter dowels. I made the launcher deck out of foamcore which I clad in posterboard, detailed with 1/8th inch square "beams" (for the side reinforcements), and spraypainted gray. The crane and tower are removable for transport to the launch site. The launch rod goes thru the hold-down arm furthest away from the tower, and is anchored to a large piece of wood under the launcher deck, which also acts as a blast deflector. Some of the colors and details of the model are not correct, and like I said, had I seen George's model and some other references I currently have access to, I'd have fixed some things, but it's close enough for my purposes. Overall, I'm happy with it, and anticipate "finishing" (I'm sure it'll never really be finished) it this weekend, and hopefully launching soon thereafter. I would like to put a video of the launch on YouTube, if I can figure out how to make it happen. I will try to keep you posted.

Mike
  13. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

:thumb:
    Fantastic!!!
    announce1Keep us informed on the future countdown to launch day!!

Wayne