Milwaukee IPMS Contest Report

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by sakrison, Oct 23, 2006.

1. sakrison

sakrison Member

The Milwaukee-based Richard Bong Chapter of IPMS held a contest on Saturday 21 October at the Midway Best Western in Brookfield, just west of Milwaukee. There were nearly 300 models entered and more than 150 modelers present. The contest theme was “Battle of Midway.”
    I’ve been attending IPMS meetings in Oshkosh and was invited to bring a paper models display to the Midway Contest. I took several of my best efforts, along with a few of the models from the Paper Models Exhibit at the EAA AirVenture Museum in Oshkosh. (I created that exhibit four years ago.) In all, I took about three dozen aircraft and spacecraft models, ranging from a Fiddlers Green J-3 Cub to Halinski’s Hurricane. I also took about 50 unbuilt kits—airplanes, ships, and armor; published and downloaded—so people could see the variety that’s available in paper. I also had a ring binder of photos of models I’ve downloaded from contest reports from Europe. I took along 100 copies of a small flyer I wrote on “Getting Started in Paper Modeling.” Half of them disappeared.
    The modelers and visitors at the contest were very interested in the paper models and kept me busy talking about the tools, skills, time, techniques, and costs involved. The sort of comment I heard over and over again was, “I had no idea you could do this kind of thing in paper.” A lot of the modelers and one of the judges said that the paper Hurricane, GPM F-4 Phantom, and Fly Model Ki-45 “Toryu” rivaled the best plastic models.(Thank you, Halinski, Fly Model, & GPM!)
    The other paper models that attracted the most attention included a GPM E-2 Hawkeye, Emil Zarkov’s H34g helicopter, the cockpit of GPM’s Do-17, and a GPM Blenheim. Several people were especially interested in Ralph Currell’s Link Trainer, which to my knowledge, has never been issued as a kit in any other medium. A dozen or so people asked for Ralph’s Web address.
    The unbuilt kit that attracted the most attention was GPM’s Leopold Rail Gun in 1/25 scale. People kept dragging friends over to my display to show them the kit, which includes two pages of color photos. I think I’ll try to build it for next year’s show. I’ve started it; a year should be almost enough time to finish it.
    I met one modeler who grew up in Poland and now lives in Chicago. He is an expert plastic and wooden ship modeler, and he spent time poring over Halinski’s “Jeremiah O’Brien” Liberty Ship kit. He also got excited about an unbuilt Maly Modelarz kit of a T34 tank that I took along. He said it was the first model kit he ever built as a kid in Poland. He said he used a black cement (the kind you’d lay tile with) for the internal structure, saving his more expensive, clear-drying white glue for places where the glue might show on the finished model. That, he said, was pretty typical for modelers in Poland in the 1970s.
    I’ve attached a photo of my display and a copy of my “Getting Started Flyer.” I guess I should have taken close-ups of some my models but, to be honest, I was too busy gabbing with modelers and gawking at the plastic models. (Old habits die hard.)
    The IPMS Club did not charge me for “Display Only” tables, and gave me more than ample space, despite a last-minute shortage of tables for vendors and contest models. And they very much want me back next year, and encouraged me to display at other IPMS meets in the Milwaukee/Chicago area. I encourage any of you to find a local IPMS group and participate. I had great fun and got some great compliments on my models. And I just might have lured a few plastic modelers over to the Dark Side. (Or is it away from the Dark Side? I forget.)

No worries,
    --David
  2. sakrison

sakrison Member

The Milwaukee-based Richard Bong Chapter of IPMS held a contest on Saturday 21 October at the Midway Best Western in Brookfield, just west of Milwaukee. There were nearly 300 models entered and more than 150 modelers present. The contest theme was “Battle of Midway.”
    I’ve been attending IPMS meetings in Oshkosh and was invited to bring a paper models display to the Midway Contest. I took several of my best efforts, along with a few of the models from the Paper Models Exhibit at the EAA AirVenture Museum in Oshkosh. (I created that exhibit four years ago.) In all, I took about three dozen aircraft and spacecraft models, ranging from a Fiddlers Green J-3 Cub to Halinski’s Hurricane. I also took about 50 unbuilt kits—airplanes, ships, and armor; published and downloaded—so people could see the variety that’s available in paper. I also had a ring binder of photos of models I’ve downloaded from contest reports from Europe. I took along 100 copies of a small flyer I wrote on “Getting Started in Paper Modeling.” Half of them disappeared.
    The modelers and visitors at the contest were very interested in the paper models and kept me busy talking about the tools, skills, time, techniques, and costs involved. The sort of comment I heard over and over again was, “I had no idea you could do this kind of thing in paper.” A lot of the modelers and one of the judges said that the paper Hurricane, GPM F-4 Phantom, and Fly Model Ki-45 “Toryu” rivaled the best plastic models.(Thank you, Halinski, Fly Model, & GPM!)
    The other paper models that attracted the most attention included a GPM E-2 Hawkeye, Emil Zarkov’s H34g helicopter, the cockpit of GPM’s Do-17, and a GPM Blenheim. Several people were especially interested in Ralph Currell’s Link Trainer, which to my knowledge, has never been issued as a kit in any other medium. A dozen or so people asked for Ralph’s Web address.
    The unbuilt kit that attracted the most attention was GPM’s Leopold Rail Gun in 1/25 scale. People kept dragging friends over to my display to show them the kit, which includes two pages of color photos. I think I’ll try to build it for next year’s show. I’ve started it; a year should be almost enough time to finish it.
    I met one modeler who grew up in Poland and now lives in Chicago. He is an expert plastic and wooden ship modeler, and he spent time poring over Halinski’s “Jeremiah O’Brien” Liberty Ship kit. He also got excited about an unbuilt Maly Modelarz kit of a T34 tank that I took along. He said it was the first model kit he ever built as a kid in Poland. He said he used a black cement (the kind you’d lay tile with) for the internal structure, saving his more expensive, clear-drying white glue for places where the glue might show on the finished model. That, he said, was pretty typical for modelers in Poland in the 1970s.
    I’ve attached a photo of my display and a copy of my “Getting Started Flyer.” I guess I should have taken close-ups of some my models but, to be honest, I was too busy gabbing with modelers and gawking at the plastic models. (Old habits die hard.)
    The IPMS Club did not charge me for “Display Only” tables, and gave me more than ample space, despite a last-minute shortage of tables for vendors and contest models. And they very much want me back next year, and encouraged me to display at other IPMS meets in the Milwaukee/Chicago area. I encourage any of you to find a local IPMS group and participate. I had great fun and got some great compliments on my models. And I just might have lured a few plastic modelers over to the Dark Side. (Or is it away from the Dark Side? I forget.)

No worries,
    --David

Attached Files:

3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Impressive, to say the least David!
    Your display is very eye catching and it is quite surprising that they gave you so much room! I can see why you attracted so much attention! What a wonderful display loaded with eye candy!

Great job on promoting the hobby too!
    I couldn't think of a better way to spend a couple days.
    The only thing better than paper modeling itself, is showing and discussing it with a captivated audience!

Here's to you David, Way to go!

Russell
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Impressive, to say the least David!
    Your display is very eye catching and it is quite surprising that they gave you so much room! I can see why you attracted so much attention! What a wonderful display loaded with eye candy!

Great job on promoting the hobby too!
    I couldn't think of a better way to spend a couple days.
    The only thing better than paper modeling itself, is showing and discussing it with a captivated audience!

Here's to you David, Way to go!

Russell
  5. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Here, here!

Props for promoting the hobby in the presence of the enemy!

(I can say this, being a "reformed" plastic modeler...) :wink:
  6. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Here, here!

Props for promoting the hobby in the presence of the enemy!

(I can say this, being a "reformed" plastic modeler...) :wink:
  7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

This is fantastic! And the level of interest is certainly encouraging. Perhaps the 'P' in IPMS will come to have 2 understood meanings in the future!

I'm wondering if there is way to find another way to host the FAQ, since the cardfaq.org site is down? Has the author ever responded as to whether he'd allow it?

Perhaps it's even time to consider publishing a more up to date version? The wealth of knowledge and links that could be drawn together from these forums could surely fill many pages and put in one place to be able to provide prospective card modelers a one stop place to start! Even though I'm a newbie, I'd be happy to participate in some grunt work for something like this!

Rick
  8. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

This is fantastic! And the level of interest is certainly encouraging. Perhaps the 'P' in IPMS will come to have 2 understood meanings in the future!

I'm wondering if there is way to find another way to host the FAQ, since the cardfaq.org site is down? Has the author ever responded as to whether he'd allow it?

Perhaps it's even time to consider publishing a more up to date version? The wealth of knowledge and links that could be drawn together from these forums could surely fill many pages and put in one place to be able to provide prospective card modelers a one stop place to start! Even though I'm a newbie, I'd be happy to participate in some grunt work for something like this!

Rick
  9. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Very impressive display. Many kudos for expending the time and energy to promote a hobby that you love. Whose DC-3 is that in the display. Looks particularly nice. Most of the civilian aircraft I've seen are less so.

Cheers --- Larry
  10. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Very impressive display. Many kudos for expending the time and energy to promote a hobby that you love. Whose DC-3 is that in the display. Looks particularly nice. Most of the civilian aircraft I've seen are less so.

Cheers --- Larry
  11. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

That is a good report. Nice of them to give you the space,too. Maybe you should include some Darth Vader models next time.:lol:
    "You mean that's paper?!" or the many variations is always something good to hear.:)
  12. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

That is a good report. Nice of them to give you the space,too. Maybe you should include some Darth Vader models next time.:lol:
    "You mean that's paper?!" or the many variations is always something good to hear.:)
  13. sakrison

sakrison Member

Larry,
    That's a GELI kit, probably one of their nicest. PMI might have one.
    --David
  14. sakrison

sakrison Member

Larry,
    That's a GELI kit, probably one of their nicest. PMI might have one.
    --David
  15. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Ah...thanks. I don't know GELI at all. I'll check with PMI.

Cheers --- Larry
  16. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Ah...thanks. I don't know GELI at all. I'll check with PMI.

Cheers --- Larry
  17. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Very neat display indeed, David!!

It seems that this year is being a very good year for paper modeling in the shows across USA (I bet in Europe they are as impresive as a paper-only show can get). And now that IPMS is adopting paper for the contests, well... that says something.

I've been collecting members' photos of the shows they had been in, and I think I can make a little electronic souvenir for all here - not as good as Woodengraver's, though. I'll let you everybody know.

Can we jump-upgrade David's rank from Junior to Supreme? I wonder.
  18. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Very neat display indeed, David!!

It seems that this year is being a very good year for paper modeling in the shows across USA (I bet in Europe they are as impresive as a paper-only show can get). And now that IPMS is adopting paper for the contests, well... that says something.

I've been collecting members' photos of the shows they had been in, and I think I can make a little electronic souvenir for all here - not as good as Woodengraver's, though. I'll let you everybody know.

Can we jump-upgrade David's rank from Junior to Supreme? I wonder.
  19. n8hfi

n8hfi New Member

cardfaq.org is expected to come back--it's just a matter of finding time. In the meantime, the content is still available at the "backup" http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/n/8/n8hfi/card-faq/

Yes, the author has responded as to whether he'd allow it. It was deliberately made easy to mirror the FAQ. Internal links structured properly, and tar archives of the whole thing at cardfaq.org. (The tar archive isn't available at the backup, but that's an oversight of the scripts that do the updating--since wget is available, it's really moot.) The intent was to make it easy for people to grab a local copy for their machine and save their bandwidth, but it's just as easy to put your copy on a website. Also note the license granted in the FAQ itself: