Millennium Falcon

dhanners

Mar 16, 2004
st. paul, mn, usa
Speaking of "Star Wars".....

This is my build of Shunichi Makino's Millennium Falcon. It is a well-designed kit and a relatively easy. I shrunk the original model to 80 percent and it works out to about 1/96th scale, a good scale fore space modeling.

I followed the clear instructions, but deviated in a couple of areas. Instead of using the supplied round "rectenna" dish -- knocked off by Lando when he flew through the Death Star in the Battle of Endor -- I scratchbuilt the new, rectangular version and its support structure out of gray card. I used online references and guesstimated the size. (In a bit of "Star Wars" trivia, I discovered the MF's new rectenna was scavenged from the CR90 corvette, otherwise known as the Rebel Blockade Runner. Speaking of which, it would be cool to have a good card model of that....)

I thought of using wire or solder to replicate the surface plumbing but stuck with paper. I laminated a double thickness of gray cardstock and cut it into very thin strips, and bent them to shape and glued them on. In this scale, it looks ok.

IMG_5650.JPG IMG_5652.JPG IMG_5655.JPG IMG_5657.JPG

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Whoa!! You greebled that beauty to life!! Those closeups show excellent seams. Nice job on the antennae, a lot of people had problems with that, yours look s just right. The back of the antennae looks so robust. Excellent craftsmanship! :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That looks like it could take a beating, especially as it was intended to take atmospheric re-entry and flight. ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Absolutely amazing work! I'm thinking of building an enlarged version with lots and lots and lots of greeblies. And lights. And sound. The Revell kit comes with a very nice sound module that could do the job; maybe new speakers, who knows. :)

dhanners

Mar 16, 2004
st. paul, mn, usa
Absolutely amazing work! I'm thinking of building an enlarged version with lots and lots and lots of greeblies. And lights. And sound. The Revell kit comes with a very nice sound module that could do the job; maybe new speakers, who knows. :)

I think this model would scale up well. If you printed out multiple copies, you could add plenty of 3D detail. You could even apply individual appliqué panels. At 1/96th scale, I thought it might be overkill, or at least bad for my aging eyes. As it was, I wanted to detail the ends of the cannons -- mine don't look accurate -- but didn't. Maybe Rey has upgraded the Falcon with different guns....

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
When you can take pictures of details that close, that much bigger than life, and it still looks excellent, you have achieved your goal with flying colors. :)

Reactions: Revell-Fan

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
Really admire the job you did on this. Should be the greebled of the month or something! Inspiring!