Millenium Falcon from Shinuchi Makino - building thread

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
It's impossible to tell from that picture, but if you put it on the model, took a picture from the spot it goes into, and measured the actual dimension of the hole Greyed out with tubes and stuff in it) to the right of it, using "Parametric scaling" (3 axis scaling), he could make it exactly the right size.

That looks really good incidentally. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The hole on his model is 2 cm, he told me. You could use "Pictureframe" in import the Picture, easier to work with than "Background bitmap", and scale your picture up or down with 3d scaling. This will give you the length of the dish, which will allow you to scale the whole model. I know you know how to do this but realized after I was asked, I may not have explained myself well. ;)

Reactions: starbuck

starbuck

Aug 15, 2013
Austria - Carinthia
IMG_3687.JPG @ Zathros: very cool thx for the illustration. The acutal model of the dish is app. 4,5cm as bigpetr said: a little bit too big.
--------------------------------------
In the meantime I managed the cannon and the cables. With these the model is ready.

Thanks to:
Shinuchi makino for the model
the mole for the engines and
bigbetr for the dish (although it might be a little bit too big I like it - and if a correction comes up I also will build it)

Attachments

• IMG_3680.JPG
    IMG_3680.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3681.JPG
    IMG_3681.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3682.JPG
    IMG_3682.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3683.JPG
    IMG_3683.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3684.JPG
    IMG_3684.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3685.JPG
    IMG_3685.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3686.JPG
    IMG_3686.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3688.JPG
    IMG_3688.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
I just uploaded new corrected model version in resource section. Thank you Starbuck and Zathros for help to make it better:Drinks:.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I just uploaded new corrected model version in resource section. Thank you Starbuck and Zathros for help to make it better:Drinks:.

It you guys I Thank, for a great thread. That square antennae just looks better than the old one. I always though the round one stuck out, and didn't make sense from a technical perspective, but then again, it is Star Wars.

They should make a movie called "Star Wars: Suspension of Reality", and make that episode based on known physics. ;)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
Me too! I remember seeing a doccie where they tried to create a real lightsaber. the solution was a telescopic plamsa "blade. Power supply tech still in it's infancy & not viable size-wise. But, it's there....

Reactions: zathros

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
man I just absorbed this thread, you guys are completely awesome! ''THE greebbling THE greebling'', in my best Marlin Brando. do you soak the paper in glue or just have ultra-sharp xacto blades? just sitting here in awe at the detail and hard work. GREAT JOB!!!

Reactions: starbuck

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Me too! I remember seeing a doccie where they tried to create a real lightsaber. the solution was a telescopic Plasma "blade. Power supply tech still in it's infancy & not viable size-wise. But, it's there....

I saw that, you would need a Plasma Cutter sized unit on a wagon behind you to power it, but plasma is just the 4th state of matter. Not really hard to achieve, just hard to maintain because of the energy requirements 440Volts, with around 200 amps would suffice. Now, what would happen when they both touched would depend on the polarity, and who had the stiffer Rod. The moisture content in the air would be an issue also, because the sabers would crack water into Hydrogen and Oxygen, so you would have "Brown's Gas" surrounding the both of you, and that stuff is extremely volatile. When it does explode, it returns back into it's molecular state, water.

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
Have to comment, that's the problem with dark matter theories, what Zathros just said. In space they probably would just form into nebulas. You don't see dark matter around nebulas much.

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
This is a text-book example of a joint venture! Major kudos to all of you and a big THANK YOU to @starbuck for this awesome build report, @zathros for his measurements tricks and @bigpetr for this great add-on kit! :Bravo::Drinks::Bravo:

They should make a movie called "Star Wars: Suspension of Reality", and make that episode based on known physics. ;)
But wait - that would eliminate all the fun!!! Imagine: NO SOUND IN SPACE !!! Ah well, however, the Mythbusters have proven that explosions in a vacuum are very colourful and HUGE, even more than everything we have seen in the movies! ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The "No Sound theory is not properly explained in "MythBusters", who's list of inaccuracies and implementation of "proofs' made the show unwatchable. The energy waves of such an explosion need hit the hull of a ship, and that would be turned into mechanical force. If you were in a space suit, the face mask, or helmet, would also pick up energy waves, and the air in your suit would carry that sound. If you naked in space, you wouldn't hear anything, but that could be because you would be dead.

Their improper mounting of a Hydrogen Booster on a car (they covered up the Venturi with a plate and ran a small hose) then feigned shock when it would not start. Lo and Behold, they discover running the car on straight hydrogen with no gas at all had the engine running like a bat pout of hell. Since they were running too much, they had horrific hydrocarbon backfires.

There are 100,000's of tractor trailer trucks and delivery trucks using these units, reporting a 5 to 105 increase in fuel mileage,m some of the long haulers more. That may not sound like much, but your car runs better. You have to lift the 02 sensor out of the exhaust stream, or your cars sensor reads a lean condition, and the computer enriches the system, defeating the whole purpose. You use what is called an E.F.I.E., to make the mixture right, and that is simple enough, but the fact is, your average car produces far more current than it uses, and it is dissipated at heat. Why not use hydrogen to make your gas burn better. It works, you can buy commercial grade systems, if it's easy to make Hydrogen, and if you have a leak, the stuff rises so fast, it dissipates, and leaves the atmosphere. The most abundant element in the universe. No money to be made though, no on the scale of fossil fuels, which America is now the largest producer of in the world.

I was so happy when that show finally went off the air. I hope it never makes syndication.

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
This wasn't Mythbusters, it was something I found on youtube, the ultimate authority on all things :rolllaughing::laughrolling::sticktongue::sticktongue:

I don't take mythbusters too seriously, I see it a bit like Top Gear (CHM version) for nerds :)

i.e.: While Top Gear does some car stuff with lots of arsing around, mythbusters do some nerdy stuff with lots of arsing around :)

Last edited: