Mikey's Speakeasy... Where nobody knows your name...

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Fred_M, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

After building four coaling towers in a row it's time for a change. Thought about a wood watertower, but that's too much like a coaling tower. I'll do it and a sand dryer next maybe? So I decided to do Mikey's Speakeasy Tavern... "the place where nobody knows your name". I like that name, gives a feeling of the stereotypical "keep your mouth shut taverns" that were sometimes ran by people with crooked noses. :wave: :D

So I started by working on the front tonite while I watch WWE and drink some brew to get in the mood. :cool: Fred

Attached Files:

• m1.jpg
      m1.jpg
      File size:
      46 KB
      Views:
  2. belg

belg Member

Fred that looks like a great store front I'm interested in the type of material you used is it a moulding of some type?? Thanks Pat
  3. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

If this is anything like your towers it should look great. Can't wait to see the progress.
  4. CharlesH.

CharlesH. Member

A hooch parlor. This ís a good one!
  5. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

That looks Great So far, Fred!! :) :)

Is it gonna have a door - with a "little Door" in it?? - (Whispers) "Jon sent me" LOL
  6. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

That looks great Fred.

Gary
  7. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Thanks guys, and actually yes Mikey, and scratch built from wood at that. No cheap plastic doors on this joint. BTW, its 2 soft and 3 hard, followed by another soft. Fred
  8. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Pat, the building is made from strip and sheet basswood from Hobby Lobby, no special wood products. The widows are Grandt's Line. The second story went up tonite. The paralax is my camera, the building is straight. :) And I miscounted, I built 5 coal towers in a row. Fred

Attached Files:

• m2.jpg
      m2.jpg
      File size:
      54 KB
      Views:
  9. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

Looking good, Dash. :) :thumb:
  10. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Another "good looki'n" project Fred
  11. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Made a thingy for the roof. Anyone know what they are called? I'm thinking on making some shutters from wood. I'm gonna think on that as it's a detail part and can wait a while. The big picture windows I'm thinking need to be dirty because this is a speakeasy and the entrance will be at the rear. I'm thinking acetate and make a wand and spray dullcoat and use the wand to keep the middle of the windows cleaner than the edges. Maybe even mist on some alcohol to really get it dirty. Anyone ever do that? Fred

Attached Files:

• m3.jpg
      m3.jpg
      File size:
      49.4 KB
      Views:
  12. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Hmmmmm...Early '80s, Saturday night at "The Bearded Clam" in Ocean City, Halloween weekend, upside-down Magaritas, just won a case of Buds for dressing in drag. Nearly got kissed by some toothless biker wannabe in desparate need of a bath...a part of my testimony I'm glad I won't have to take into eternity with me :rolleyes:

Great work, love those open windows :thumb: thanks for the trip down Memory Lane...I think :p
  13. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Looking good so far. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  14. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

That's looking really good Fred! :cool:

"Hmmmmm...Early '80s, Saturday night at "The Bearded Clam" in Ocean City, Halloween weekend, upside-down Magaritas, just won a case of Buds for dressing in drag. Nearly got kissed by some toothless biker wannabe in desparate need of a bath...a part of my testimony I'm glad I won't have to take into eternity with me "

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much information Bob, wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too much! :p :rolleyes: :D
  15. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I know, I know...just hadda get it out there should I ever run for an NMRA National Office. Don't want my opponent thinking he can pull a National Enquier on me :thumb:
  16. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Real nice looking Fred! Can't wait to see some more.
  17. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Forgot about these guys. Found a tommy gun. :) Now, do I dress this guy up or give his gun, er, weapon to another LPB?

Attached Files:

18. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Added a small vestibule and door with transom. This isn't the entrance. It will be in the side.

Attached Files:

• m4.jpg
      m4.jpg
      File size:
      46.4 KB
      Views:
    • m5.jpg
      m5.jpg
      File size:
      63.5 KB
      Views:
  19. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Added a roof to the vestibule and a 3mm white LED for a light. Also removed the spacer from the bottom.

Attached Files:

• m6.jpg
      m6.jpg
      File size:
      56.9 KB
      Views:
  20. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Dirtied the windows with dullcoat and alcohol. Applied to the dullcoat when wet, the alcohol turns dull coat white when it dries. This gives it the abandoned look I'm after.

Attached Files:

• m7.jpg
      m7.jpg
      File size:
      46.7 KB
      Views: