Mikado problem

jjqgenesis

Aug 2, 2002
Southern California
www.geocities.com
Hello,
I finally have the new layout at a point where I can run a complete loop while finishing the rest of the track work.

All my power runs well on the track, (diesel and steam) and through the turnouts EXCEPT my two Mikado's. They stop at exactly the same places on the layout and spin their drivers. I have checked the track and the units for guage etc. No problems that I can see.

Anyone having or had this problem with their Makado?

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Originally posted by jjqgenesis
I have checked the track and the units for guage etc. No problems that I can see.
How about something sticking up just high enough to catch the Mikes but nothing else?

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I had a similar problem with a Kato SD90MAC. When it would go through a particular turnout, one of the fuel tanks would hang on the switch motor housing.

Check the frogs, too. I don't know about other brands, but Atlas insulated frogs aren't always flush with the rails.

Also...the "straight" line through Atlas turnouts aren't always perfectly straight. The "continuous" rail is often bowed inward slightly.

One other thing... Are these Kato or Bachmann Mikados?

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
When you check the pilots, look at the couplings (did you change to MicroTrains?) I often get the uncoupling pin snagging on ends of rails. Also look at the bottom; a low piece there might meet with a bit of wire or something from the switch.

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
I had a similair problem with my kato mike, with me it was
at the very start of an incline, there was a very short
section where the middle drivers didn't quite have enough
adhesion. My solution was to shim the track and make a
less severe transition to the gradient. I think the Mikes
have a very rigid chassis as I found that they were the only locos
to have problems.

hope this helps

Graham

jjqgenesis

Aug 2, 2002
Southern California
www.geocities.com
To all,
Thanks for the many suggestions. I won't be able to check them out this weekend with family gatherings for Easter but will get back and let you know what I find as soon as possible.
They are beuatiful looking engines and I want to see them running a schedule on the B&SPRY.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by grumbeast
I had a similair problem with my kato mike, with me it was
at the very start of an incline, there was a very short
section where the middle drivers didn't quite have enough
adhesion. Graham

Also, if this is the begin of a grade the mike may have problems pulling more that 5 or 6 cars - unless you convert one of the driver sets (I believe it is #4) to a set with traction tires on it. I did this and am now hauling 12-15 cars with no problem.

jjqgenesis

Aug 2, 2002
Southern California
www.geocities.com
Folks,

Found the problem. It had to do with the 2 thin wires coming from the engine via the drawbar to the tender. They are curved and need to be INSIDE and contacting the 2 tabs on the tender front truck that go up into the tender body and make contact there.
I hope this is clear. Apparently one or both on mine were outside and loosing contact.

Now they both run well however (always a however or a but) they have located EVERY part of the track where there is the slightest deviation of a smooth curve. Sometimes when placing a turnout, the track leading to the turnout, especially when placed close to a curve, may not transit smoothly. All the other units both diesel and steam have not had the same problem.

I will fix the track but sure wish I had the Mike's for testing when I was track laying.

Thanks for all the advice.