Mikado conversion

spitfire

Mikado conversion update

Today's mail contained the long-anticipated CN number plates for under the headlamp of the BLI Light Mikado I'm converting over to CN, so the project was suddenly a go again. :)

Previously I'd put in a feedwater heater bundle, water pump and some piping, and decalled the tender. The CN SIG that arranged for the number plates also has brass cab side numbers, so I used those as well.

I should say a little more about the brass number plates. Every single number from CN's all-time roster has been made out of photo-etched brass and they're totally amazing!! You paint with an appropriate red paint, and then lightly go over with a fine abrasive, like crocus cloth, and all the details just pop out!

Val

Attachments

• mike.jpg
    mike.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 30

CBCNSfan

Today's mail contained the long-anticipated CN number plates
Hi Val, I doubt I'll ever cease to be amazed by your work, another excellent job you can be proud of. Maybe I shouldn't have come to the Gauge, because now I'm getting a hankering to rework some of the old Bachmanns I have downstairs :D , well even if they don't run great they'll make great show pieces. :eek:
Which brings me back on topic who makes these CN number plates?
Cheers Willis

spitfire

Thanks Willis! :)

They're made for the CN Special Interest Group (by Athabasca Scale Models). The Projects page is at http://www.cnlines.com/proj/index.html

Scroll down until you come to the number boards. The raised cab numerals are usually available at hobby shops, and sometimes they'll order the sets of numberboards too and split them up. The whole set is kind of pricey, but when you think it's CN's entire steam roster, it's worth it, I think.

Val

CBCNSfan

Hi Val, and thank you for the link. At $150 for four sets of 720 number plates each I'd say it's a pretty good buy and worth investing. Definately worth it. Thanks
Cheers Willis

spitfire

Anytime Willis. I hope you do decide to get at those Bachmann's. The hardest thing about doing CN conversions is the lack of all-weather cabs. CP steamers often had just canvas curtains around the back of the regular cabs, but CN almost always had the enclosed variety.

Val

brakie

Hi Val. :wave: Great job! Looks great!..You modeling never fails to awe me..Keep up the good work! :thumb:

spitfire

Thanks Brakie! I did some weathering on it last night. I was kind of rushing because I was trying to get it done for my June website update. I'm not happy with the result, because I think the boiler has the colour that the smoke box should be and vice-versa. I used weathering chalks for the most part, so tonight I am going to remove the weathering and try again. In the meantime, here's what it looks like right now.

The other thing is that suddenly the lights don't work. I'll have to try to figure out what the problem is.

Val

Attachments

• mikeweathered.jpg
    mikeweathered.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 28

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Val,
Take the "shine" off the pilot wheel, and post that pic in "Real thing, Canada", and it would probably be a few weeks before anyone questioned if it was real!
You said chalks, so it would have to be dullcoted before the actual appearance came out. You have to overdo chalks to get it right. The boiler looks more rusty, than dirty, but some coal leaves a browner dust, and may be just right.
Overall impression?...............................

WOW !!

spitfire

Thanks Chris! And thanks to you too Pete for giving me the run-down on all the various part of a locomotive when you were up here!

I found the reason for the light not working - a detached wire. I can't get the screw undone to get the part loose - can't get enough torque with the little screwdriver I have. Anyway, I would need to get a much smaller soldering iron to tackle this repair, so it's off to the LHS tomorrow to turn it over to an expert.

Val