Mig-31 Firefox

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by Stev0, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Janx

Janx Member

I have finally put a Beta/Gamma pdo together of the Firefox, the model is in basic white for now as applying the textures would be time consuming if I have to change anything. I know there are a few errors (alot) Any one out there want to have a go at building this one? If so just let me know in a message.

There are over 100 parts I really did try to keep the number down but...

Attached Files:

2. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

I'd love to have a go at it but I feel I'd let you down by not getting it finished in a reasonable amount of time, I'm having enough trouble finding time to spend on my current build as it is, poor neglected thing :D

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out though, keep up the great work :thumb:
  3. Janx

Janx Member

Sorry I have not been back for a while, RL has been a bit busy, almost done on the 4 sheet instructions and Version 8 is almost ready, alot of the problems on V7 have been erased.
  4. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

Sorry, Janx. I have been busy with finals for the past two weeks....I do have it prinited out, however....
  5. Janx

Janx Member

No worries Doc, I have tried to eliminate alot of the probs with the wing's bulkheads having to be bent in odd ways, the new version hopefully will sort that. It has textures applied too, so I am not sure if you want to hold off finishing V7 atm. Only the wings and Engines are different on version 8. Posting both it and Instructions soon.
  6. Janx

Janx Member

Hmm I think I'm going a bit over the top with the instructions, but oh well.
    Here is the reason, part 1.

Please note Beta Guys, the number may be different due to the changes on the model.

Attached Files:

7. tazman3

tazman3 Model Designer Wannabe

Looking super nice Janx...great work, and thanks!
  8. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Impressive! Just for instructions too! This is going to be a great model.
  9. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

Trust me, you can never go overboard on the instructions.

Attached Files:

10. Janx

Janx Member

Wow that's a lot to live up to Armor :)
  11. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

I just assume that the person I am designing the instructions for has never made a model before (ok...is an idiot and lives in his parent's basement....;)).

Just find your groove and style. My background is technical illustration.
  12. Janx

Janx Member

Same background, progressed from pen and paper to Maya about 6 years ago, I suspect I have forgotten how to use a Technical Pen now.
  13. Master-Bruce

They all very nice. Maybe a lesson for me there then as I hate doing instructions.
  14. Janx

Janx Member

Lol my numbering/naming system leaves a lot to be desired though, just realised how silly it is.. WPS-2R, WSR-4 What was I doing, I know it made sense at the time, I just hope the beta guys can understand it.
  15. Janx

Janx Member

I have a prob guys and can't seem to find a solution, the numbers are not showing up in the PDO files I sent to the Beta testers, any one have any ideas?
  16. Master-Bruce

Export as BMP and number in Paintshop or Photoshop?
  17. Janx

Janx Member

I'd really hate to do that skupil, I think it is a font problem, even though It is an arial font, maybe i should try a test pdo with a new font.

Beta Guys can you try this pdo, a stand for the Model, I've used Times Roman.

Attached Files:

18. Janx

Janx Member

Ive attached a few images of the beta textured model. Sorry for the poor quality, had to use a camera phone.

A few probs that I found apart from the wing issue. The bulkheads (xs1-2) did not fit so had to be trimed/sanded to size. this may have been due to the 120gsm paper used for the exterior.

The strips for the joins were too thin. Bulkhead 2 (XS2) should be attached along with it's strip (2) to the main fuselage first to help maintain the shape. I found the join between the lower and upper body of the main fuselage tricky but this was probably just me :)

I have revised the wing and rear fuselage and in the process of numbering with a different font and updating the instructions, hopefully with you soon.

Attached Files:

19. Janx

Janx Member

One Mig 31 Firefox about 90% done. Quite a lot of probs building this, made me realise how hard a job it is to make a 3d model into a kit, my respect goes out to you guys who make the brilliant kits from scratch.

A lot of joining Tabs were missing from the model I sent to the Beta guys, sorry about that, remind me never to try and do these things when I am ill.

The wing engine joints left some huge gaps, going to have to have another go at fixing this. Also the Enginr inserts and intakes are possibly too complex.

The stand has a problem too, for some reason i missed an obvious error where it is too wide at the rear.

Apologise for the poor quality, I still have not got a camera that works, so low rez camera phone images are all I can do atm.

Attached Files:

20. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

Despite the camera quality, it looks like it's going to be a wonderful model, Janx!