Mid River Power and Light update

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I've just added a series of transformers next to my electric company. I based them loosely on a Walthers kit I've seen pictured in model magazines. I used cheapie electrical components that I bought at a liquidator's store to represent the transformers, etc. Insulators are made from small beads.
Ralph

Attachments

• grid1.jpg
    grid1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 211

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Very nice Ralph. Looks realistic. I was planning to build one but didn't have any idea how to go about doing it so thanks for showing us how.

shaygetz

The club layout has a power plant on the other end of the town I've been assigned to build. This will help me a lot. Great Job.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Ralph,

Good work. I'm planning on building a small sub-station on my N scale, and although I've done work in a few, I didn't pay attention to details, so a few weeks ago I went to a local station and took pictures. I did have to look over my shoulder though just to be sure no one got the wrong idea as to why I was taking pictures.:eek: :eek:

What kind of "electrical components" did you use for the breaker bodies and transformers? I know Model Power has a sub-station kit, but I cannot find anyone that has it in stock, besides, like you, I'd really like to build mine from scratch.

Don

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Hi EZ,

I went through a great store around here called Axeman Liquidators that carries bins of all kinds of stuff. I figured that small electrical parts might mimic larger ones so I looked for things that might seem "right". I found connectors that had handy screws on top so I could string wire and thread it for insulators. I glued two of the gender changer things together to approximate the transformer I saw in the Walther's ad. Wish I'd thought to photo the parts prior to assembly. I've sketched them below.
Ralph

Attachments

• component2.jpg
    component2.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 110

ezdays

Out AZ way
Ralph,

I see what you're doing. Just a bit too big for N, but there is stuff out there that I can use. I have a bunch of very small transformers that I might be able to use and a box full of assorted parts that will probably take me two years to sort out.:eek:

I'm always interested in what people use to make their models. Thanks,

Don

shaygetz

Who'd of thought to use barrier strips and other electrcal whatzits and whodats to model a power station. Well done.