Michael

Hodgy

Feb 20, 2006
Maine
McFortner said:
Hi all, this is Michael's wife. He asked me to log on and let you know that he had a heart attack last night, and won't be around for a bit since he's in the hospital. If anybody wants to continue to be updated, feel free to email me at fortner_kate@bellsouth.net

Kate
May Michaels recovery be a speedy on. Gods Speed and Merry Christmas to the two of you

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Hey all! I've decided to create a heart healty recipe book for Michael, so that I can be sure to feed him properly. If ya'll can dig up your favorite heart healthy recipe, and email it to me at fortner_kate@bellsouth.net I would GREATLY appreciate it! He is allergic to fish, and MSG.

Michael will be having a cardiac cathider in the morning to determine where to go from here. If they determine he needs a stent, he will be transfered to another hospital. Thank you all very much for your thoughts and prayers.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Boy do I have heart-healthy recipes, books of them. Having just been through a stent, then a pacemaker implant, I can give you some ideas on dieting. There are heart-healthy products that are labeled such, but for heart patients, they aren't going to be good enough. My salt intake has been limited to 2000 mg per day and that's my guide. We have all these recipes, but for the most part we just watch the sodium content of what we eat, and keep a daily log just to be sure. Well, actually I have to bring it in to the doctor's office every two weeks when I get my heart-smart council sessions, so they're kinda making me do it.:eek:ops:

Do I have a favorite recipe? Not yet, we're too new at the game and still trying to adjust the salt and fat content of our regular recipes. So far we've not used any from the books we've bought.:rolleyes: There's a few guys here that have been at it longer than I have so let's hope they can offer you some suggestions. Maybe I'll be able to pick up a recipe or two from them as well.:D :D

Keep us posted on how Michael is doing.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Katie,
Hopefully he'll be better soon. My grandparents have both been through that in the past several years.

I don't know how familiar you are with some healthy products...but I'm a cooking fanatic so I'll through a few ideas out here for anyone that's concerned about their health...

Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil is really Partially hydrogenated death...it is what Crisco and margarine are made from. This is what trans fat actually is, but it can be hidden by a small enough serving size. Avoid it by reading labels.

Use Smart Balance Light spread in place of margarine or butter. Use butter as a back up and use normal Smart Balance spread for baking.

Avoid vegtable/soybean oil. It is unhealthy. Use Canola or Olive Oil in its place. Deep fry with Canola instead of vegtable oil. I'm not familiar with the healthyness of peanut and grapeseed oils.

Only eat red meat twice a week...work in plenty of chicken, pork, and fish once a week. Grill more and fry less.

Don't eat dessert very often.

Exercise to what ever extent you can.

Use 1% milk in cooking rather than cream or half & half...I've built up a good reputation in the kitchen eventhough my cooking is low fat.

Avoid mixes and eating out wherever possible...they typically use lower quality ingredients...stores typically only sell Grade A dairy, meats, and eggs...so what happens to grades B & C? They go to restraunts and such. Btw, don't eat the fat globs on steaks...pork chops...etc...trim it before eating because I want to see you at NRHS/NMRA/etc conventions of the next several decades!

EDIT: be sure to use the full spice cabinet to help minimize your salt intake...there are other things which can really do amazing things while minimizing salt. Here are a couple cream soup ideas: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cream-of-Broccoli-Soup-I/Detail.aspx and http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Delicious-Ham-and-Potato-Soup/Detail.aspx. By using Smart balance light in place of the butter and 1% milk in place of the whole milk...the fat and cholestral content gets slashed. Use Corn starch to help thicken the soup to make up for the reduction in fat. For the broccoli soup, I recommend boiling the broccoli for 10mins to turn it into mush and then purreeing all of it...add a little bit of the water to help the food processor to puree it...use white pepper instead of black pepper. Also, when adding water to the flour paste...add just a little bit at a time...that way you can eliminate the clumps in order to have a smooth soup and also take a little bit of the soup broth out and use it to dissolve the nutmeg and pepper in a small side container...otherwise they'll form little spice clumps in the soup that may overpower your taste buds.

Also consider using egg whites only in foods such as pancakes. A classic fine French cooking technique is to seperate the eggs, whip the egg whites into a foam, trash the yolk, and then fold the whites into the batter. This is one of the keys in making Crepes. This eliminates the cholestral content of the eggs and also allows people with certain egg allergies to eat eggs.

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Michael had 3 stents placed in his right artery today. It was 90% blocked, and the source of the heart attack. His left front artery is blocked 80% and they will be doing surgery for that in about 6 weeks. He is in ICU tonight, and will go from there as to discharge.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Whew! Probably not what Michael was wanting for Christmas I imagine! Our continued best wishes for his recovery and hope that he gets home soon. Thanks for keeping us informed Kate. When I was in the hopspital everyone was very attentive to me but didn't always remember that my wife was going through a lot so I wish you well and pray you have the strength and support you need.
Ralph