Metal Etch Primer in my eye

Sempak

Jun 19, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Does anybody know what getting a small amount of Metal Etch Primer (I'm guessing phosphoric acid) diluted 50/50 with Methylated Spirits (98% Ethanol) would do if it got in your eye? I managed to splatter some while cleaning my air brush. Yes I know I should have been wearing safety goggles but what's done is done!

The most sensable thing to do would be to get to an eye doctor and have it checked out. Acid and solvent burns of the eye can be very damaging. I once had an employee accidently get sprayed in the eyes with acetone...he went to the emergency room of a local hospital and had his eyes flushed out. Although burned, he recovered in a few days and wasn't seriously injured. The best protection is a full face shield.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Chris,

Don't know, but if it were me, I'd have been to the ER by now. Even if it doesn't feel bad, I think you need to be checked to see if it caused any damage. It may not have, but you should find out anyway. Our bodies have a remarkable way of healing themselves, but go and get professional help anyway, they may just wash it out good, or just tell you to go home and be careful the next time.

Good luck.

Sempak

Jun 19, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
I washed my eye as soon as i got the primer into it and it was only a very small amount. My eye feels fine and doesnt look red or anything. I can still see straight so I'm guessing things are ok.

But yes... it's a lesson learned, i shall wear safety glasses from now on!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Glad that you got to it quickly and it didn't do damage. Eyes are one thing you can't risk taking chances with. They seem to have replacements of sorts for most other parts, but not the eyes yet.

docsnavely

Sep 20, 2004
Zushi, Japan
Make sure your irrigate your eyes (which you have done already). At the first instance of any pain/irritation irrigate with clean water again for at least 15-20 minutes and then head to your doc's office or an acute care facility (ER). You may feel fine now, but in the morning you may have some complications (you just never know). At the least, you need to schedule an appointment w/your optometrist/opthamologist. That's just my professional opinion! :thumb: :D

-doc

Why me

Mar 29, 2004
london uk
Visit site
Yes your right whats done is done you still need to get your eyes looked at by a doc for peace of mind if nothing else also try and think SAFTEY FIRST ItS hard I KNOW