Messerschmitt BF109-G8 Modelik 1/33

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by dansls1, Sep 5, 2007.

1. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Thought I'd share some pictures of where I'm at with my build of this plane. I actually glued the sides onto the cockpit last night and will start wrapping fuselage segments tonight. So far the kit has been great - other than having to mix a few colors of paint to match the light green color in the cockpit.

Attached Files:

2. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

That's a mighty fine lookin build, great detail
  3. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

That's looking good - a very neat job :)
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Yeah baby! That's some beautiful workmanship there! Yes sir!:cool:

Keep them pics a comin!:thumb:

Russell
  5. RTomedi

RTomedi Member

Beautifully done! Excellent finishing.
    Keep us updated.
  6. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Thanks guys. I will share the rest of the build as I go. I've also picked my next plane - the Marek JU-87B Stuka. One thing I plan on doing different in that build versus this one is my edge coloring method. I've been using enamel paints for all edge coloring on this model. I want to try the water color pencils next. I like the look of the parts I'm painting, but it's more of a hassle so I want to see if the pencil idea is quicker / easier but still give an acceptable look for me.
  7. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Here's a couple pictures of the latest progress.

Attached Files:

8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Looking sweeeet!!!
    I like the color shades on this one. I think I need to find a copy for myself, now!

Russell
  9. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Got mine from here ;)
    Next picture - got the front section and one section backwards added. The seams on the other side aren't quite as nice as this side - but the overall effect isn't too bad.

Attached Files:

10. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

Very nice. The cocpit looks great.
  11. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I've added the next 2 fuselage sections - only the tail one to go. That one has a bit more going on - there's a middle former with a hole where the tail gear feeds through, plus the top is the stablizer structures.
    The second picture shows the fuselage is pretty straight - no real twist or banana'ing.

Attached Files:

12. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Here's some more progress. The first picture is the last fuselage segment including part of the horizontal stabilizer support. The second picture is the horizontal stabilizer frame with one side glued on. The 3rd picture is the beginning of the wing frame. One of the interesting things I found with this model is how the front landing gear is incorporated into the wing structure. If you look closely, the front spars on the outside are triple layered. The center layer has a slot cut out. This gives a hole for the landing gear wire to feed into and provide support.

Attached Files:

13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looks great! I appreciate the little tips about nice design features :)
    Thanks
    Chris
  14. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Not much to show, although I am moving forward on this build. Note the former at the bottom of the vertical stabilize. Even though the build diagram includes it, this piece is not included in the kit. Jorg's builds at kartonbau do not have it there, but I wanted it to make sure I keep the shape and symmetry. I copied the shape of the former used below the horizontal stabilizer and shortened it to the correct length.

Attached Files:

15. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

with work like u i just say
    "thank god i not have internesional vias :) "

kip doing great job my friend
  16. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I've been progressing on this build but haven't been updating with pictures so here's a few. I also wanted to talk about build sequence here. I don't like having potentially fragile pieces on the model when I'm still doing structural type assembly. I've already skipped the air intake and the bubbles in front of the cockpit in what I've shown so far. After the first picture here, the next step according to the part numbering would be the stabilizer control surfaces. Again - potentially fragile and I don't want them on while I'm gluing wings and wing fillets on so I don't damage them by ripping them off - so I went straight to the wings. After the wings are attached, I want to get the plane on it's wheels to progect all the rest of the fiddly bits as best as possible, so I'll do them next.

Pictures here show the completed stabilizers and the wings from top and bottom.

Attached Files:

17. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Next I'm going to show an 'oops' and something I'm pretty happy with. The oops is a gap in the wing skinning. This happens to be where the movable surfaces were optional, so I've got a piece of the original skin I could cut a patch from if I decide to.
    Second is one of the wing tips. There are no formers in here, and this is my shaping of the piece before it gets glued on. I know I've seen people put tissue in there to maintain the shape, I'll probably do that when I'm ready to glue it to the wing.

Attached Files:

18. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Another update - wings are attached and one 'fillet' is done.

Attached Files:

19. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Well, here's some updates. I did run into one thing - delaminating of the paper when I was rolling the guns. They are tightly rolled paper, and printed on the same card stock as the rest of the model. I was able to paint them up and hide where I didn't like it - but in retrospect I'd have been better off printing at least that part from my scan onto regular paper instead of card stock. I now know why Halinski puts those 'tightly rolled' bits onto the former sheets ;)

Attached Files:

20. exzealot

exzealot Member

Dan,

Looks like a nice tight build. I have had the same problem with cardstock delaminating when rolled. You are right... the answer is to scan and print them on standard paper. AND, you end up with a much thinner edge where the roll terminates. Much more realistic. The guns look great.

Ken