Mechwarrior 4 Mechs

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by shiftdel, Oct 30, 2007.

1. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

I built those 3 mechs as well, they look fine, although very tiny. In fact, I started my fever for building paper models of mechs from those small babies :D

The Madcat and Thor are MW3 variants, the Daishi is MW4.
  2. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

I already did a MW4 MadCat, but it's not ready to be released yet.

There is another MW4 one available by other designer, in a slight smaller scale (1/50):
    NEBULA STATION

Argus and Daishi aren't on my current plans, I could model them, but it would take a while, as I already have a lot of models in the works.

There was an Argus available some time ago, but the designer dropped the file from the net due piracy...
  3. SgtSki in MI

SgtSki in MI New Member

I have TWO different Mad Cats to build now!!!

Thanks for sending them!!! I've tried your links on the posts, but the government server I'm on blocks them as being "Game"-related! AAARGH!!! Gotta love the Internet Police!

Anyway, If anyone's willing to email some mechs, I can receive files on my email. I don't know about zipped files yet, but when I get a .zip I'll let you all know if it worked or not.

I've started working on one of the Mad Cats (it even had heads with different clan markings.....I'm doing a Jade Falcon 'Mech) When it's done I'll post a pic.

But if anyone else is willing to email me some more 'Mechs to build my email is: thomas.kamrowski@iraq.centcom.mil

Thanks again all!!!!

-SgtSki
  4. SgtSki in MI

SgtSki in MI New Member

Yes I can receive an unzipped file that size. Other members have been sending me files and the biggest one so far was a 9.2MB .pdf so shouldn't be a problem. I learned yesterday that I cannot recieve .zip files...the server quarantines them :(

I'm currently working on the Mad Cat from the Nebula Station website and the upper torso, head, and LRM launchers are together as of today. I'll probably do the lower torso and legs tonight then. I'll post a pic when it's done.

But if you or anyone else want to fire me any unzipped 'mechs to build please feel free with my thanks.

-SgtSki
  5. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Some pics of my Novacat test build. The first one shows the parts of sheet 1: center torso, including part of the shoulders and 2 bits of the shoulder's multiple parts.

The next pic is a closer shot opf the center torso, it is a complex part, but can be build without much trouble if you glue the tabs by steps.

Attached Files:

6. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

another pic, showing the parts of sheet 2, torso rear, and 2 shoulder parts, one still waiting to be glued.

To glue parts like that shoulder one, I use to put glue into all tabs, and then glue them all at the same time, laying the base into the table, in order to kept it straight and flat, it is easier than it seems.

Attached Files:

7. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Sheet 3 parts, front and lower torso and head top.

Attached Files:

8. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Some dry fitting tests that I did with the torso parts. The fitting is not bad, considering the complexity of the parts. The rear part attachs beautifully, the front one not so beautifully, but still good enough for me...

The first pic shows the torso front and center parts fitting, the 2nd the torso center and rear and the last one the torso center, rear and front parts. The only thing that holds them together in these pics is my hand.

Attached Files:

9. SgtSki in MI

SgtSki in MI New Member

Looking Good so Far!!

The Nova Cat's looking good so far Shiftdel. I can't wait to see it in all of it's (quickly overheating) glory! Not one of my favorite 'mechs to pilot (unless I'm standing in water with it...the same goes for a Wolfhound) but it's definitely a cool looking one!

-SgtSki
  10. Kjev

Kjev Member

Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty

Shiftdel,

the Novacat looks great! It always amazes me how fast you can crank these out. I'm still finishing up the ISSCV.

And the Novacat brings back fond memories. I've taken out many of them in MW4. Dual ultra AC/5s do wonders. . . until you run out of ammo.

K'Jev
    8)
  11. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

Thanks Shiftdel! This was a really fun build.

Attached Files:

12. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Very nice and clean build, doc, great job. I guess that Vulture is my model which had more pics released from modeller's builds around the world.

Thanks everybody for your contributions and kind words.
  13. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Thanks K'jev, I really like this design, it is one of my favorites, although I did not use to used play with it, due overheating, but it is one of nicest designs.

Btw, I'm not exactly fast, I stuck on 25 parts built since last week. I didn't have any more time to build it, I hope I can do something this weekend.
  14. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Loving these mechs :thumb:

Are these fresh built meshes, or is there some way to extract the models from MW4 ?

Whichever, they look really nice and clean without being over cluttered. Sizewise, I might have a go at making some of these scaled down a bit. I would want them to be around 3-4" high, which I think is about half the size. Looks to me as though I might have to abandon the paper joints and use some dowelling rods instead, but they wouldn't fit on my desktop at any size larger than that :mrgreen:
  15. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Maybe there is some way to extract the mechs, but I'm not aware of it, so I model all my mechs from scratch, using screen shots as reference, and orthographic views if available. Normally all that I have is a good side view (undistorced) and a bunch of screen shots, distorced by the forced perspective used in games.

To reduce the size you have 2 ways, the easier one is using Pepakura Designer, where you can resize the model freely, as I didn't block edition of my models. If you don't have Pepa Designer, you can export the sheets as BMP and reduce them using any image editing software.

I also have a PDF version available (only with the snow camo), which would allow resizing (I don't know how, actually, I just heard from someone that it is possible with PDF).
    link for PDF version:
    Paper Make iT ! - Downloads | Member Free Projects | Robots
  16. Kjev

Kjev Member

Not sure if it helps, Flarebaffled, but most PDFs can also be scaled and re-colored in Photoshop.

I play classic Battletech myself, so I understand wanting a smaller size. However, I have started working in 28mm/ 1:60 scale, and I kind if like the (relatively) larger models for a change. Plus it makes them handy to use in another game if one ever gets the chance.

K'Jev
    8)
  17. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Like I said ... great if you play Mechwarrior and need some mechs for 35mm figures as a backdrop.
  18. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Someone said 35 mm figures?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Kjev

Kjev Member

Shiftdel,
    Your Mauler makes me jealous.

K'Jev
    8)
  20. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Thanks, I'm receiving so many requests of this model, I need to go back to work on it (this prototype torso was not good to build, just 2 parts, upper and lower).