Mechwarrior 4 Mechs

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by shiftdel, Oct 30, 2007.

1. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

I thought the legs looked a bit thin as originally designed, but since I'm not a gamer I really couldn't say for sure. I haven't gotten to the legs yet in my catapult build, so I'll be sure to take advantage of the new file. The newly provided detail parts can only add to what is already an outstanding model. Thanks shiftdel.
    Regards,
    Don
  2. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

They looked okay to me based on the "Mechassault 2" Catapult.
  3. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

The legs are thin. Maybe mine are too thin, maybe not. Here is a pic of the original MW4 Vengeance mesh:

BTW, the small side view at left (obviously much bigger) was my main source to model this mech. I got the pic from MW4 game manual.

Attached Files:

4. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Nice work here buddy. I like mechs, there should be more of them. You ever looked at the Palladium Books, RIFTS roleplay books? Lots of mechs there. I'm thinking of trying on as my next design.
  5. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

6. allhallowseve

allhallowseve Member

Just wondering when that Mauler will be download able ????
  7. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Thanks Skip. Certainly more of them will follow, not just from me, but other guys around are modelling mechs. I already have 5 mechs released (MW3 Orion and Awesome, MW4 Catapult, Shadowcat, and Vulture), and some more in the works, maybe 3 or 4 almost finished... I didn't see the Palladium or RIFTS books, here in my country this kind of stuff is not easily available...

Great find, I was not aware of it, there is a lot of stuff to look there, thanks!! :)
  8. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Not sure, the torso of that beta in the pic was a pain to build (just 2 parts top and bottom), so I redesign the parts break, splitting into 6 parts, but the feedback from a beta tester was not positive about the change, so I'm stuck on this point, trying to decide how to split the torso in a easier way to build, while keeping the original multifaceted beautiful shape.

I'm even thinking about an internal frame
  9. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Member

I finished building Catapult. Here is how it looks.

Attached Files:

10. allhallowseve

allhallowseve Member

Maybe try asking if any of the designer here. They Mite be able to help ???
    Worth a shot It a great looking Mech Hope it works out ??
  11. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Nice build, Cuthbert!!!

Is the sand color due to the light or is it a custom skin that you made for it?

Great job!
  12. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Sorry, allhallowseve, but I didn't understood your question.

I'm not the designer of the model, it is from Microsoft game Mechwarrior 4, but I modelled the 3D mesh and created the paper model from it, I will be happy to help.
  13. allhallowseve

allhallowseve Member

Ha Ha OH no !! i knew you just took the model from the game , I was just saying
    That the problum with the Mauler torso , Maybe some of the Members on the forum could help you with the beta , like Webdude he works a lot with pdo , just throwing it out there ,
  14. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Oh, my bad, now I understand what you meant.. lol

In fact, I didn't took the model from the game, the MW4 models are not extractable, at least no one did it till now. I'd modelled the 3D mesh from scratch, basicaly from a side view of it, which gave me the correct proportions.

It's not a matter of unfolding the model on Papakura, I'm good on that too - at least I think I am :)

It is more the way that I will choose to split the torso parts, in order to make them buidable as easy as possible, without sacrifice the multifaceted detail of the torso. Another point is, when I split a part, I have to compensate the thickness of the cardstock, it is much more difficult in multifaceted parts then in more squared ones.

Any help will be wellcome, but one day or another I will pick this model and finish it... I used to do this sometimes. I left a project for a while, so when I start to work on it again, I will do with a new spirit, normally it works.
  15. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Member

Thanks, Shiftdel
    The color is due to the lighting. I haven't figured out how to create custom skins yet.
  16. Millenniumfalsehood

Hey shiftdl, shoot me the problem part and I'll see if I can't find a way to make it fold better.
  17. allhallowseve

allhallowseve Member

No problum Shiftdel !! i know how it is you start one project then see something new :) So you start that project but you put the frist one aside to collect dust etc... been there still doing it :( Well my problum is i work night and sleep days that leave me little time , and the 2 days off are spent do thing that i don't do when i working :(

i just like to see someone build a good "Axeman mech " i've used that mech in many games and won !!
  18. Millenniumfalsehood

Really? What do you normally load it out with(if you're talking "Battletech" and not "Mechwarrior")?
  19. Kjev

Kjev Member

I've got several of the 'mech at home, but I've been hunting for the Mauler. My brothers and I are thinking of doing a large-scale Battletech game, but the cost of the resin models . . . . the makers are rather proud of them aren't they?

I'd love to try the Mauler. If there are any you are looking for, let me know and I will see if I can e-mail them. For those who wonder: NO, none of them are my work and this is no attempt to rip off my friends who have made them. Credit where credit is due.

K'Jev
    8)
  20. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Thanks for the offering, Millennium, although the problem is not exactly of folding, but it is related with the multifaced nature of the part.

It's hard to explain without pics, but due its size and complexity, the torso can't be build in 1 piece. I tried to split it in 2 pieces, but the result was still difficult to build, although still buidable with some pain. I tried again, splitting it in 6 parts, but the result was even worst, due to fitting problems.

Probably splitting in 3 parts would be the best approuch, or create an internal frame, to keep the shape and make the skin to be glued over it, these are the solutions that I'm working right now.

Anyway, if you want to give it a try, I could send it for you, can you open Metasequoia files?