Mechwarrior 4 Mechs

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by shiftdel, Oct 30, 2007.

1. blaar

blaar Member

Finished the work on a salvage mech. Download the paper model from my FileFront Page if you guys want it.

Attached Files:

2. blaar

blaar Member

Yet another awesome model made by Dark133 from the mech3.org forums. I just helped with the trouble shooting and unfolding work. download it from my FileFront page.

Attached Files:

3. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Another model in the works, this time is MekTek's Grizzly, a wonderful model from one of the MekTek's team guys...

Attached Files:

4. Kjev

Kjev Member

I think it looks better than the original!
  5. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Yep, Matthew_TS did a great job on this. Too bad that he could not gave me the high resolution texture that he did for it...
  6. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Unfolding done, now I will start the beta testing of this beauty.

18 pages and 98 parts!!

Attached Files:

7. Kjev

Kjev Member

Piece of Cake!
  8. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Finally I did start to build the Grizzly model.

I had to splitting the center part of the torso, cause I initially did it in one piece, but when I test fit it, I noticed that would be a pain to build, due to several weird concave foldings.

So I split the center part in 4, each one with just one lateral concave folding. The parts count raised to 101.

[​IMG]

At the pics below you can see the completed parts, and a test fitting of them.

The most complex of them all, the top part, went together pretty well, however, I put a reinforcement inside to avoid any undesirable warping, it did works, and also made the part stronger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Some more progress, torso parts already glued, and other bits built...

[​IMG]

This is not an easy model, and I did not started the hardest parts yet.

The fitting is not the best I did, I will need to make some adjustments at the final release model.
  10. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Torso parts glued in place, you can notice several fitting problems, I will correct these in the final release (I hope).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  11. Kjev

Kjev Member

It looks great Shiftdel! But then, your models always do.:thumb:
  12. plutobot2004

plutobot2004 New Member

hi

hey guys, this is some awesome stuff, first time ive seen paper models of battlemechs. i was wondering if there was a way to export these models into a 3d program. if anyone knows could you please let me know? i could animate these badboys and let you guys see your models in action. :mrgreen: if you dont mind that is. i have a few models ive started to make in soft image, but this would really save me alot of time.
  13. Kjev

Kjev Member

Some of them were made from scratch. Some were pulled from Mech Commander II and Mechwarrior games. It depends on the source. As for using the 3D models, you'd have to ask the individual creators (I'm not one, just a fan/builder). Shiftdel is one of the most prolific. Armorman is another, along with Whammy.
    The mechwarrior3.org papercraft forum might also have some more details for you as well.
  14. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

After almost an age, I'd finally finish building Grizzly's parts (total 102 parts, if I'm not wrong).

Now I'll start building the sub-assemblies till the final build. I'm planning to put some joints, so I can disassembly it for storage purposes ;)

[​IMG]
  15. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Surely my Grizzly will take more to finish then I thought. To be honest, I didn't have time to work on it, but I'm posting some progress pics of the sub assemblies done till now:

[​IMG]

I pinch a hole on Grizzly torso, so I can make it movable and can disassemble it to store, the second pic shows the torso and hip attached. I used my new generic joints set, altough I did have to reduce the height of the joints. I should have glued the female joint from the inside, before building the torso, so the tabs wouldn't be visible:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

These parts are very important, and weren't too hard to build, although they are smaller then a finger nail. They are the joints between the legs and the hip:
    [​IMG]

Here I'm holding one of them where it belongs, you can see the size of the part. The fitting is perfect :)
    [​IMG]
  16. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

Take your time Shiftdel. Forcing yourself to model while there's more important things to do is just as bad as over modeling. Both burn you out, and we don't want that.
  17. thokamous

thokamous New Member

i will DEFENTALY be building these mechs and then clearing the garage to be playing some old school battletech :)
  18. haught70

haught70 mech ethusiest

haha:thumb:
  19. SektorStar

SektorStar Mech Enthusiast

Alright Lets Keep them Comming, I got a lot of Models to build lol:thumb:
  20. blaar

blaar Member

Shiftdel asked me to beta build his Hauptman mech. This baby is huge. 18 A4 pages and close to 30cm but luckely not to many parts, only 60 odd parts. Will update as I go along.

Attached Files: