Mechanically operated turn-outs?

Gary S.

Instead of using electrically operate remote turn-outs, does anyone have info on mechanically operating them with a push-rod type device under the lay-out, or perhaps a cable in a housing or some type of arrangement?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
There are lots of options here. www.humpyard.com makes an interesting "protoypical" lever that connects via a choke-cable type arrangement. There have also been articles in MR about how to do this, even including a small electricl switch for those turnouts with electro-frogs.

Andrew

jim currie

there was artical years back on using springs and string and one i rember was on using hydraulics for switch power.

Pooh Bah
Wire-in-tube is a popular English method. They have supplies of the stuff, but I couldn't get it when I needed it. They also have miniature (not scale) signal box levers to operate it.
The wire and tube that aeroplane modellers use should work. A slight bend will make the tube hold the wire more stiffly. I use similar methods to connect switch machines when I can't get near the switch. Stich a knob on the end or melt it into a plastic thumb tack.

Russ Bellinis

One other possibility for turnouts near the front of the bench work is to use Peco turnouts. They have a spring on the points. You can just use your finger to move the points. As soon as the spring goes over center, it snaps the points to the other position.