Mechanically operated turn-outs?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Gary S., Nov 17, 2005.

1. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Instead of using electrically operate remote turn-outs, does anyone have info on mechanically operating them with a push-rod type device under the lay-out, or perhaps a cable in a housing or some type of arrangement?
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

There are lots of options here. www.humpyard.com makes an interesting "protoypical" lever that connects via a choke-cable type arrangement. There have also been articles in MR about how to do this, even including a small electricl switch for those turnouts with electro-frogs.

Andrew
  3. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

there was artical years back on using springs and string and one i rember was on using hydraulics for switch power.
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Wire-in-tube is a popular English method. They have supplies of the stuff, but I couldn't get it when I needed it. They also have miniature (not scale) signal box levers to operate it.
    The wire and tube that aeroplane modellers use should work. A slight bend will make the tube hold the wire more stiffly. I use similar methods to connect switch machines when I can't get near the switch. Stich a knob on the end or melt it into a plastic thumb tack.
  5. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

You can get choke cables from your local auto parts store, and cut them to the length you need.
  6. TrainClown

TrainClown Member

7. Waldbahner

Waldbahner Member

8. shortliner

shortliner Member

9. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Excellent links, exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!
  10. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

One other possibility for turnouts near the front of the bench work is to use Peco turnouts. They have a spring on the points. You can just use your finger to move the points. As soon as the spring goes over center, it snaps the points to the other position.