MDC Shay part

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Okay, so I got the MDC shay handbook and I've been studying it a bit on and off, trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my little narrow guage two truck. I'm intrested in building an oil burner out of it but the oil bunker for the MDC shays only came in the three-truck unit. is there anyone out there that built the three-truck but did not build it as an oil burner? Either that or could someone look at their three-truck instructions and tell me the part number for the oil bunker so I can order the part from MDC/roundhouse? Thanks

alastairq

May 20, 2007
UK
as I recall...I haven't dug the boxes out..for good reasons....but the 3 trucker actually has a shorter rump?

gluing this onto the back of the 2 trucker will make it look a bit 'close coupled?'

As a suggestion.....why not simply build up a small box-like structure to sit over the top of the rear end, between the coal rails? Platicard/evergreen??
Then make/find/rob/buy a casting for a filler hatch, maybe an ullage pipe, perhaps also a breather?

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Actually the oil bunker sits on top of the 'rump' (as you called it) it's a separate piece that just glues on. The shay handbook states that you can attach it to the two trucker as easily as the three. I could build it but I thought I'd check if anyone had one spare first.

N

nachoman

Sorry Glen, I am using mine. Try contacting athearn...they still have some of those parts. BTW, if you decide to scratch something, I've been looking for some kind of oil fill hatch casting and am coming up dry. I figure the hatch might have to be scratched as well.

Kevin

alastairq

May 20, 2007
UK
I'll dig out my 3 truck boxes an have a look......although I suspect you might find one an awful lot closer to Kelowna than the YuK?

(I'm persona non grata in that area...family reasons, usual sort of rubbish!)

If all fails let me know, I'll post it if I have one

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Thanks. I checked on the HOseeker site and figured out the part numbers. After that I sent MDC/roundhouse a note asking them if they had the parts. They've helped me out before with another engine that I resurected from the scrap box.
As far as scratchbuilding one. I already have to for an MDC narrow guage 2-8-0. The bunker would be easy, except for maybe rivets (they would be rivited right? or welded) and the hatch but I figure companies like persicion scale or cal scale would have one.

alastairq

May 20, 2007
UK
As far as scratchbuilding one. I already have to for an MDC narrow guage 2-8-0. The bunker would be easy, except for maybe rivets (they would be rivited right? or welded) and the hatch but I figure companies like persicion scale or cal scale would have one.

heck, its your model, you can have whatever you like?
who is to say it wasn't welded up at some later date?
Rivets are easy....suggestion being, an overlay of thin plastic sheet, embossed from the blind side using a blunt pointy thing? (do it on a 'soft' or 'forgiving' surface...ie not the dining room table!)

Welds or rivets will largely depend on your actual era modelled?
I may be wrong, but didn't arc welding really only come to the fore around WW2?

for a 'filler' cap (it doesn't HAVE to work , honest)....a short bit of 'tube'..with a circle of..whatever, glued on top, 'top-hat' fashion?
Then perhaps a bit of bent wire for a 'handle' to undo it with?
MAybe a coil of hose? (solder wire?)

what about a (scrap) tank dome/filler from an N gauge tank car?

Unless you follow rigidly a specific prototype..then you're stuck with the expensive route?

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I got a message from MDC roundhouse. The bunker is 7.50 plus 5.50 shipping. the cap is not available. Needless to say I'll be making my own. could someone tell me how long the bunker is? the width isn't important since the tender tank will give me that. I;ll probably construct it out of fairly thick styrene so I can sand the edges round to make it look like a welded tank. I'll also cratch the hatch using styrene tubing.

oleirish

Nov 6, 2005
Central Point,oregon
Here are my two MDC roundhouse shays both are oil burners.I did the tanks my self.
myshaysxs2.jpg

They have been re-motored,and extria power pickup they run the shay: speed (slow and powerful)
JIM