MDC Roundhouse

Steve Lancaster

MDC Roundhouse Shay

Hi,
I am building the kit version of this engine and have a few general questions
I am relatively new to Model Railroading (except for a N layout that I built as a
kid), but I am having a good time working on this project. I hope to build a small
layout in HO in the future.I know these are basic questions, but this looks like a great forum.
Questions:
1 What is a good gear lubricant?
2 What kind of glue works best on die cast materials?
3-Is Polly Scale a good paint for die cast materials?

Well this is all for now THANKS Steve :cool:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Hi Steve,

Welcome to The Gauge!

As for your questions, I would offer these answers:

1 - Labelle makes a great line of lubricants from light oil to grease that are plastic compatible.

2 - I would use a contact type cement for large areas (Walthers Goo) or CA (superglue) to attach detail parts.

3 - I have used Polly acrylic paints brushed on die-cast parts with reasonable success.

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Steve...

Great news! As far as the noise goes, sometimes that's just the way they are, especially geared locos. I am not entirely sure, but I think that the external moving parts may in fact be part of the drive train, and not just for show. Make sure they get lube as well - but not too much. Put it on with the end of a pin, and run before adding more. Too much lube can be a problem too.

Glad to hear you are up and running :thumb: :thumb:

Andrew

The shay's are noisy, this is due to the moving parts on the outside, not the gears. and no the outside assembly is not part of the drive train, they have driveshafts underneath to the trucks.

Now a question, did you get the 2 truck or 3 truck version?

DWP

I give you credit for building the Shay as a "beginner" .
You might want to get a book by Jeff Johnson
The MDC Shay Handbook.
DP