MDC Got Bought (we all know)

Ray Marinaccio

Maybe since Walthers won't be an autherized Horizon dealer they want to unload and wash their hands of the whole lot.
If I was a smart dealer I would make Walthers a reasonable offer for the whole lot, and stash them in the back room for a few years.

If by some chance these lines become discontinued, Would anyone be interested in buying stock in a company that intends to buy discontinued molds and the production rights and start reproductions of these classics?

NYC-BKO

They would have to do this when the train fund money is low, I'm sure there are some things I can use. -:cry: I will have to peruse the list and maybe go in debt!!!!:eek: Who knows what Horizon has planned for the line.:confused:

Glen Haasdyk

It does indeed look like a fire sale, but there isn't anything there that I want, and what I want isn't there. Isn't that the way it goes?

brakie

Guys,Not to sound mean but,I never did like the MDC line of cars except for the bulkhead flat car and the Railgon...I am sure we will see these cars again. :thumb: I wonder if Athearn will produce these cars as a new line of RTR cars?

petey

Fellas,
Why will Walthers not be an authorized dealer? Standard Hobby Supply is strictly, according to their claim, mail order only , yet they continue to solicite, and have my pre-release order, for an Athearn Challenger.

F

Fred_M

Because Horizon is going into direct and open competition with Walthers and Horizon now owns MDC and Athearns. Kind of like how you can't buy Cornersone kits from Horizon. Fred

RioGrande

brakie said:
Guys,Not to sound mean but,I never did like the MDC line of cars except for the bulkhead flat car and the Railgon...I am sure we will see these cars again. :thumb: I wonder if Athearn will produce these cars as a new line of RTR cars?
Certainly it has been a mixed bag with MDC - but I have found selectively that a goodly number of cars are useful to me:

-FMC 3-bay covered hopper
-bulkhead flat
-50' FMC modern box car
-3-bay coal car
-Hi side gon
-Bath tub gon
-5-bay rapid discharge coal hopper
-Railgon

Unfortunately, many of MDC's cars were "generic" freight cars and don't match any real car.

Glen Haasdyk

Well, I do like the MDC line of old-timers and logging cars. I have several that fit into my branch-line themed layout. with some work and weathering they look good to me.

Russ Bellinis

I don't know what Horizon is going to do at this point with MDC. They have moved everything to Athearn's facility here in So Cal, but Athearn was already using their facility to capacity. It looks like "blue box kits" & MDC kits are both gone.

jon-monon

With most folks, it was a love/hate relationship with MDC, because they made what we needed.

I'm guessing, what survives will say "made in China" on the bottom.

I wonder why the model 40 "Critter" seems to have dissappeared
:O

AIGI

Glen Haasdyk said:
Well, I do like the MDC line of old-timers and logging cars. I have several that fit into my branch-line themed layout. with some work and weathering they look good to me.
yes the old time cars were great, especially for those of us modeling pre-1900. they had a great selection and wide enough variety to cover most aspects of old time operations. I do hope Horizon's keeps making the old time stuff, otherwise we'll be stuck with very limited choices.

brakie

Jon,Rather then start another topic I will piggy back Walthers other sale for those that might be interested.If you don't mind since the two goes together.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/search...m=&keywords=&instock=Q&split=30&Submit=Search
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.walthers.com/exec/search...m=&keywords=&instock=Q&split=30&Submit=Search
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very interesting sales don't ya think? Who would have ever thought that one day Walther's would no longer carry MDC and Athearn seeing that both brands are the stable for the majority of the hobbyist...Yes,sad times indeed. :(
But,I fear we have not seen the last of the buyouts.. :(

Alan B

brakie said:
But,I fear we have not seen the last of the buyouts.. :(
Indeed we are. I won't speculate about who is next, because I wouldn't be speculating. But, look at the age of the owners of most model manufacturers. None of these are public companies. If there are is not a second/third generation interested in the business, a sale must take place sooner or later. Either, the IRS will force it when the owner passes on, or his/her own retirement will mandate it. That's the way good small businesses go.

Alan Bradley

RioGrande

Russ Bellinis said:
It looks like "blue box kits" & MDC kits are both gone.
People have been saying the blue box kits will be discontinued but Athearn has repeatedly said "not so". So don't draw conclusions yet - my guess is Athearn my keep some blue box kits on the market, but it will be on a very limited basis. Time will tell.

mykroft

I'm suspecting that Blue Box will get thinned down as the better stuff gets moved over to RTR, and will eventually be comprised of the cheap stuff they'll never get more money for (Widebody loco's, F7's, Cabooses in all those incorrect roadnames and three-dome tanks for starters)