Mayewood Railroaders Goes Corporate

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Well...due to the many suggestions I have been recieving concerning giving the big boys a chance to help our cause I have decided to contact manufactures of HO products. Here is the letter that I have faxed out.

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Leroy Steigerwalt and I am a sixth grade mathematics teacher at Mayewood Middle School located in Sumter, South Carolina. My principal has agreed to allow the teachers to conduct clubs this school year. I belong to several large forums on the web and discussed the possibility of doing a HO layout at the school for the kids. The response has been tremendous. To date we have received items from Japan, London, Australia, Canada, and The United States. It is from the urges of many hobbyist all across the globe that I am writing your company. The students have two main goals concerning their layout. The first is to have it ready for the GATS show this coming April in Columbia. The second is to complete it and build a small switching yard that can be housed on a hollow core door in order to take to other schools and educate their peers about the hobby. For its ease and many advances we have chosen to use DCC on our 6X8 layout and the switching yard. However, we have not been able to secure all the items necessary to reach our goals. A gentleman from the states has donated a DCC starter kit which has the kids hooked on its apparent ease and versatility over DC. If possible we would like to expand upon it and use 5 hand held throttles to operate the locos on the 6X8 and 2 on the switching yard. We still need a system to operate the separate switching yard. Which brings to mind another set back. Our 6x8 layout will be able to handle five independent trains, and the switching yard will handle two, but we only have one engine that runs on DCC. We have five of the turnouts necessary to complete the layout but still lack the remaining eight and the 13 switching machines. We have the foam and roadbed to lay the track on but have no ballast, ground cover, and are very limited on trees. Please understand that any help no matter how small will be a great benefit to their club and my cause (getting them interested in math and wanting to come to school). A local sign shop has agreed to make a banner for us to display the names of all those who have contributed to our layout which will be going with us to the shows and various school functions. We would love to add your name to our list and hope you consider offering a helping hand in creating a passion in children that have so many trials to overcome in life. I thank you in advance on behalf of the many students and people you will impact through your generosity. I can be contacted several ways and eagerly look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Leroy Steigerwalt

Here is a list of the companies I have contacted. I will keep you all updated on the list as the contacts return. Lets see if the companies that make all the great items we love to use are as generous as those using them.

Broadway Limited

Internet Trains

Trains-usa

Jays Trains.com

Bachmann

Central Hobby

Mainlinehobby

A-Line

Accurail

Alpine Models

American Model Builders

Intermountain Railway

DigiTraxx

Kadee

Katousa
Life-Like

WoodlandScenic

Wish us luck

77Railer

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Kadee sets the pace....

Broadway Limited

Internet Trains

Trains-usa

Jays Trains.com

Bachmann

Central Hobby

Mainlinehobby

A-Line

Accurail

Alpine Models

American Model Builders

Intermountain Railway

DigiTraxx

Kadee :D - Contacted 02-16-05...talks of sending couplers, coupling system, and possible cars:D

Katousa
Life-Like

WoodlandScenic

Wonder who will be next...:thumb:

77Railer

E Mo Ry

Mar 14, 2004
Near Chicago
home.mindspring.com
I'd urge you to send your letter to Athearn, Walthers and Model Railroader. MR in particular is always looking for ways to bring young people into the hobby, i can't think of a much better way to do it than the way you are pursuing.

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
77Railer, that is an awesome idea. Hmmm....maybe if you get enough corporate responses I might start my own "club." :D Ah, I doubt that my story of being a financially burdened modeler would be too unique. :D

Anywho, I found a fax number for Athearn on some old instructions, don't know if they still work but it is worth a try.
Phone: 310-631-3400
Fax: 310-885-5296

Also here is one for Walthers
Phone: 414-527-0770
Fax: 414-527-4423

Good Luck and keep up the good work. :thumb:

Freelancer

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Kadee Kame Thru

Well gang,
Kadee, which most of you know is a small company of 30 employees opened in 1946 by two twins, whos family still runs the business, has agreed to send us couplers, an uncoupling system, and freight cars. Talked to Alan the general manager....nice guy. Props go out to Kadee for helping us out. :)

77Railer

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
I Googled both numbers :

Magnuson Models Inc, (414) 527-0770, 5601 W Florist Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53218

Walthers Wm K Inc, Model Train Manufacturer & Distributor, General Ofc, (414) 527-0770, 5601 W Florist Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53218

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATHEARN INC
19010 S LAUREL PARK RD. CA
310-631-3400

Looks like they are both good numbers :) :) :)

Linux-

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Hey Leroy,
Glad to hear things are still going strong for you guys!! :thumb:
Somebody mentioned getting in touch with Model Railroader Magazine, that's a great idea!! They are currently co-sponsoring the 'World's Greatest Hobby' campain. I think what you and your kids are doing is exactly what that is all about. Here is the contact info.

MR News (News about the hobby)
news@mrmag.com

Railway Post Office (letters to the editor)
rpo@mrmag.com

General
mrmag@mrmag.com

If nothing else they should do a story in the magazine about what you and the kids are doing, but they have a lot of manufacturers the are co- sponsors so you never know!

Good Luck and keep us posted. :thumb: :wave: :thumb: :wave:

2slim

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Well I emailed the letter to all three of the addys for mr magazine....hope we hear something. I will also contact walthers, Magsun, and athearn tomorrow. Wish us luck....

77Railer

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think the Laurel Park Rd address is Athearn's old address. They were moved into a bigger facility after Horizon bought them out. I don't know the new address. I just checked Google and got a web site for Athearn www.athearn.com. I just checked their site and found their new address on the site. Their new address is Athearn Trains, 1550 Glenn Curtiss St. Carson, Ca 90746. Phone # is (310) 763-7140 The fax # is310-763-7449

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Thanks for the tip spitfire....Kadee said the stuff would be in the mail by monday....so far they are the only ones...I will be faxing athearn and walthers this afternoon.

77Railer

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Broadway Limited

Internet Trains

Trains-usa

Jays Trains.com

Bachmann

Central Hobby

Mainlinehobby

A-Line

Accurail

Alpine Models

American Model Builders

Intermountain Railway

DigiTraxx

Kadee
biggrin.gif
- Contacted 02-16-05...sending couplers, coupling system, Freight cars and Height Gauge
biggrin.gif

Katousa

Life-Like

WoodlandScenic

Model Railroad - Contacted 02-17-05 donating various books about modeling and prototypes

Athearn

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
I contacted MRC again today and spoke to one of there associates and they are supposed to be letting there supervisor know about us to see if they can help...she said that they often give things at discount...which is nice but wont help us without money,lol. We recieved the books from MR magazine...nice donation...12 or so books on various areas of modeling. Hoped we would have got more of a response than this...what are ya'lls ideas on the matter? Has corporate really gotten that out of touch with its customers?
77railer

rksstl

May 24, 2003
St. Peters Missouri
Visit site
I really don't think that corporations are out of touch with there customers, their probably just bombarded with donation requests. I manage and do collision repair in a medium sized shop and you would not believe the number of orginzations that request some type of sponsorship. Everything from school year books, sports teams, to the dozens of local race teams. We now limit to about one little leauge team, and one race team. Its not that we don't want to we just can't afford it.

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Ok, I would agree with that...but how long does it take for someone to drop an email or fax saying we are sorry but we cant help. Kadee has my business forever b/c of the way they jumped on board and helped us out. Just as many from the gauge have a friend for life b/c you showed compassion for a bunch of knuckle headed kids you've never seen. Model Railroader also has me and several others as lifetimers now b/c they sent us some literature to help explain things and give us ideas. Sorry if it sounds like Im ranting....just got my hopes up I guess when I got a response on the same day I faxed out.

77Railer