Mason's Shipping Depot (N gauge)

30 years ago I was introduces to American outline models. It was a book about the Ma & Pa RR. I was hooked in an instant.
N Gauge was fairly new at that time so I decided to go with it.

There's something about timber built structures that fascinates me. I subscribed to MR and MRC and found several dimentioned drawing in them.

Here is one of my 30 yr old 1st attempts at scratch building.
I used balsa wood and matchsticks with windows glazed with acetate from cookie wraps. Other than the figures and goods lying around I think it cost about $3.00 including the paint.
Polly "S" was the paint and dilute india ink for weathering.
I dug this out of storage a few weeks ago and felt it might get some others into the nostalgic period of Rail Roading. I hope it does because I'd love to see others work in order to inspire me again.

I have several other scratchbuilt structures to post here. The photos of them are ready for posting but I'll probably wait a wee while before I show them to you.

Catt, you sure came up with a good one when you got this forum started. It's great!

Errol

Attachments

• mason depot.jpg
    mason depot.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 241
C

Catt

Errol,I knew there were alot of excellent modelers here at the Gauge and figured they needed a special place to show off their handywork.

I think I'm right.:D :D

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
A structure like that would be welcome on any layout Errol. Nicely done my friend. Why are you waiting to post more pictures EH!
Is this rationing or what?

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Errol,
Balsa, and matchsticks, (sigh), that takes me back a minute or twothousand. This building has what is missing from the modern plastic kits, CHARACTER. The backdrop puts that character in place. I hope you find a prominent place on the layout for it. it deserves the attention.
Pete

WVRR

It's good to see people who keep this hobby in it's roots where a building is an extension of someone's prefrence and not what's commercially available. My father once told me that model railroading was an art, an art in which one could express him or her self by the model he or she builds. It's good to see that this concept still holds true today. I love the building, very nicely done. I agree that it holds a place of honor on your layout.

Your old timey building of long ago may get me started again. I was raised in the balsa wood era of the 30s and 40s, and have trouble with trying to scratch build with plastic. (or styrene or whatever it is called) It seems easier to make realistic looking with wood.

Beautiful job.

Lynn

Tyson Rayles

Errol I don't care if it was 30 years ago it is awesome!!! :cool: If we can get you away from the Horribly Oversized scale and building in the right scale again :D that building will look great on your new layout. Excellent work!

bobrien

another 'wow' Errol.
I have to agree about the 'character' of wooden buidings that just doesn't come thru in plastic - and work such as yours sure is an inspiration for wooden kit building.
Now where's those darn matchsticks...............................

Thank You

Thanks for your compliments guys. I have a few comments of my own :) .

Catt, Your reasoning for this forum is absolutely right. You know what Catt, you've created the perfect daily RR magazine for us. (Due thanks to the committee for approving Catts suggestion)

Robin, Me ration pictures? ... Would I do a thing like that? I only ration beer to visitors ...:p .

Lynn, There's nothing so satisfying as scratch building or kit bashing. No matter how it turns out it is a personal creation and something to be proud of. Go for it, get stuck in there friend.

Tyson and Pete, You have me crying in my beer again... I will build my N layout, Trouble is I like the oldtime stuff. The locos I have are BIG steam and diesels, hardly suitable for running in areas with these old structures. (sad).

Wvvr, Your father was correct, we create that which we feel within ourselves. Our creations are unique, a signature of our character and a depiction of how we see or would like to see the world, not perfect but pleasing.

Shamus and Sumpter, From where I'm sitting Shamus, you have the perfect theme in logging, the old and the not-so-old. I have a helluva long way to go before I could get even close to yours and Sumpters standards of modelling. Meantime I'm content to just drool over the skills you both have.

Errol

Drew1125

That's a really beautiful model, Errol!:cool:
Would love to see some more of your handywork...(regardless of what scale it is :) )
Since you do't presently have an N scale layout, maybe you could display the models in a diorama...maybe a museum-type shadowbox, or something? It's too good to keep hidden!

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Nicely said Errol but on the rationing I figured that from your statement.
"I have several other scratchbuilt structures to post here. The photos of them are ready for posting but I'll probably wait a wee while before I show them to you. "

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I guess turn-about is fair play after all Errol, now you have me cryin' in my scotch! You don't have as far to go as you think.
Pete

Vic

What can I say?......Errol has struck again!:D Must be a natural talent :D Can't wait to see more!!!!