Masonite

rockislandmike

Okay, I was just at my local hardware store (yay Revy), checking out supplies for some projects, and I couldn't for the life of me find masonite. And, of course, trying to find a spare employee during the lunch hour is impossible.

Is it known by another name ??? Perhaps especially up here in the sweltering savannah known as Canada ???

billk

Or maybe tempered hardboard? Masonite is a brand name, but I think it may be something like Kleenex, where it's become more generic.

Masonite IS a brand name, but like they say, it is a universal name. A hardware store probably wouldn't stock it. Mostly it is foun in lumber yards/building supply stores. Also, it comes tempered and untempered. Only a few places carry both. Tempered has a hard shiny surface on one side. Untempered is dull colored, but still hard. Not much difference in cost, so they probably dropped the untempered several decades ago.
I guess I dated myself on that one.

Lynn

rockislandmike

Thanks everybody.

PS - when I say hardware store, I mean "everything under the sun that has to do with building and repairing stuff" store. Aka, Revy here in western Canada.

Gary Pfeil

Mike, Yellowlynn made a good point about tempered and non tempered masonite. If you are looking for the masonite in order to build a viaduct, get the tempered masonite. Good luck finding some, try lumberyards.

Gary

rockislandmike

We do have Home Depots, Matt, but Revy is exactly the same thing, except Canadian owned. So my wife and I usually support them, unless they don't have what I need (they're a tad closer, too).