Maryland Terrapin Smack (it's a boat!)

Z

Zathros

I have been wanting to make a boat for a long time. I do better when working on models in parallel. So here's the smack. :)

Attachments

• smack1.jpg
    smack1.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 55
Z

Zathros

Some more smack pics. I love these kind of boats. I really enjoy making boat models. I know most here re into Sci Fi, and that's great, but I do love boats. The idea that you could take a 39 foot log boat like this. and raise the centerboard and just coat on in a sandy beach and park for the evening appeals to me This picture I'm posting is a complete rebuild with a bit more added.

Attachments

• Smack2.jpg
    Smack2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 27
Z

Zathros

Third time I have tightened up the hull. Learning more tricks in Rhino 5 I will never master this program, there's just too much stuff in it. Not that's it's hard, there's just a lot of stuff.

To any naval persons, the blueprints for this boat do not show a cockpit like you would see in most sailboats behind the companionway. I think it is because this was a work boat and there isn't much hull in that spot. In any event, here's where I am at. I don't see any interest, if anyone says they want it let me know, motivation is always nice. I like Sharpies and wish to make a real one, though time is running out.

Attachments

• Smack3.jpg
    Smack3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 36
  • smack4.jpg
    smack4.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 54
  • smack5.jpg
    smack5.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 31
Z

Zathros

Playing with some Render features.

Attachments

• smackrender1.jpg
    smackrender1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 20

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
These are interesting boats. One of my Junior high school teachers had one as a pleasure boat many years ago.
He would always talk about it and share photos with the class, after he would take a trip.
You are doing a GREAT job on the rendering. This will make a fine model.
I am looking forward to seeing how it will turn out.

Z

Zathros

Tanks a million! The new Rhino Render capabilities are going to take me a while to master but that water was kind of cool.

These are based on the classic "New Haven Sharpies" These boats could do 18 knots on a reach, which is purdy darn fast. It had only a 19 3/4" inch draft at the rear skeg. These boats were made for beaching. They were stable because of the low center of gravity and though they were flat bottom, when heeled over, they presented the water with a "V" from the side view. Multi chine boats can present flat surfaces to the water.

This boat used no stays on the mast. In fact, the rear mast could be taken out on a really windy day, and the forward mast would be repositioned into a mast hole just in front of the centerboard! :)