Marx 666- 11 Cars

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Counting the coal tender and the caboose, I've got 11 cars on this pull. It's all the working rolling stock I've got right now. (Aside form one more coal tender and antoher caboose) the Marx didn't even break a sweat. Transformer was only running at about 55/60 so there was plenty more to give but it didn't need it.

YouTube Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCjB66cAJHg
  2. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

It's a good puller. I'm not sure the max I've pulled with one, but I'm sure it's at least 15, especially the 1970s and newer Lionel cars with the needlepoint axles and Delrin trucks. I think the practical limit when you're pulling postwar cars is more like 10.
  3. nachoman

nachoman Guest

nice. I always wanted one of those locos. how do you couple the marx loco to the lionel cars?

kevin
  4. Cannonball

The Marx has the same hook coupler on the back as the Lionel steamers do. I just hooked a Lionel coal tender to it and the tender hooks to the cars.
  5. lionelsteam

lionelsteam New Member

Wow, really nice looking set there, and the smoke looks so real, like the real thing back in the day.
  6. Cannonball

Thanks. :)

Here's a better one of it smoking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gMvcFoKb7E
  7. Marxed

Marxed Member

wow!! awesome! i haven't been on this forum in awhile and did a quick search and found that you had a handful of marx-related threads! nice to see a fellow fan!
  8. Cannonball

Dave and Ozzy are both really into them as well. I just have this one steamer but I wouldn't say no to another one just like it. :D One of these days, I'd like to get ahold of some of the tinplate passenger cars as well.
  9. Marxed

Marxed Member

:D nothing looks better than tin plate passenger cars being pulled by a commodore Vanderbilt :thumb:

i don't have any pictures on this computer at the moment, or else i would post. my all marx collection has continued on since i've last posted here
  10. Cannonball

I'd love to have a Vanderbilt but I don't know if it's fat tires would work on my 027 track.
    I've seen quite a few of them on eBay and get really tempted from time to time.
  11. Marxed

Marxed Member

i run mine on Lionel track without a problem. what about it causes the problem?
  12. Marxed

Marxed Member

this picture is of the Commodore Vanderbilt's underside on track... i also put the 666 on this piece for comparison and they aren't that different
  13. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Cannonball...I'd take a look at your video, but with dial-up...No go. How 'bout some pics...???
    Hey Marxed...!!! Glad to see you're back. Let's see some more of your great trains...!!!
  14. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

That gear on the left will hang up on Lionel switches, unless you swap the motor out for a Marx double-reduction motor like the 666 had. There are non-smoking double-reduction motors that will fit in a Vandy (Marx 591 and 400 locomotives are a good place to look) but since so many people do it, those motors are a little hard to come by.

Aside from the switches, Lionel and Marx track are functionally identical. I have a mixture of Marx, K-Line, and Lionel track on my layout, with Marx switches. I'll work in some Ives track too if I ever find some. :)
  15. Marxed

Marxed Member

ah! get some cool marx switches then!! :D

[​IMG]

bad image, but theres a handful of them on ebay, including the remote switch versions

[​IMG]

Lionel engines work on them too
  16. Marxed

Marxed Member

Hey, nice to see you and everyone else again, i'll eventually get more pics up, i haven't taken any in awhile, so i got to get some updated ones!
  17. Cannonball

I don't have any of the pull taken but you can see my engines on my website.
    Should be dialup friendly- http://www.stjosephfreight.com

I'll try ot set up the pull again and take some pics in a few days or so.
  18. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Thanks guys...
    Although I model HO, I'm crazy 'bout 3-railers, of whatever vintage (Go figure...). The folks over at The Caboose forum post some great shots...!!!
  19. Marxed

Marxed Member

cannonball, if you really wanted a commodore Vanderbilt.... as a layout suggestion, you could add another inside switch loop or replace a set of switches to make a Vanderbilt accessible loop?
  20. Cannonball

Actually, I'm redoing my entire layout as soon as I get my tax check.

http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=25859

I might look into changing the switches after the layout is complete but I won't have enough to get new switches and a Vanderbilt, so it will have to be a little at a time.