MARS Center Shuttle -- Atlantis

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by dhanners, Nov 23, 2008.

1. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks for the kind words. Alas, I didn't do them on my computer. I'm not that talented or capable on the computer. Wish I were...
  2. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Its ok sir!!! Besides your'e doing a great job anyway!!!

But, I do want to see a full image of your PBDs, I also want to apply it to my model here :-D
  3. dhanners

dhanners Member

I don't know if this is a better photo, but here it is....

Attached Files:

4. Hans Christian

Oh yeah sir!!! That will be just right!!! Thanks!!!

:-D
  5. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks. Maybe I can take better photos of it soon.

I should note that I did do one of the PBD features on my computer, though. On each door, there are 16 small rectangles, each with eight small dots on them. I have no idea what they are in real life; maybe vents or attachment fittings of some sort. But they show up in photos. I made them in Word, using periods in a real small font size. I typed two periods, hit the space bar, typed two more, hit the space bar a couple of times, typed two periods, hit the space bar and typed two more. Then I cut and pasted the whole thing several times, printed it out and cut out 16 little rectangles, each with eight dots on it. That's my low-tech approach to designing things on the computer.

Also, the black hinge attachment areas are small pieces of black cardstock. Once the PBDs are attached to the fuselage sides, I'll add small pieces that will replicate the hinges.

I hope to start on the fuselage sides tonight or tomorrow. I'm still thinking through how to put everything together. I'll need to add the AFRSI blankets to the fuselage sides, but I haven't decided whether to add them before or after I've attached the fuselage sides to the cardboard formers that will make up the frame of the model. And I also have to decide whether to add the payload bay doors to the fuselage sides before I glue the sides to the formers, or add them later. If I add them later, then I'll be able to trim (or add to) the doors to make them fit better.

I've just got to think all this through. It's kind of my version of "measure twice, cut once." It's "think it through a dozen times, measure five or six times, cut once."
  6. Hans Christian

That's an interesting method there... I was wondering about thise dotted rectangles as well before... I'll try it!!! :-D
  7. dhanners

dhanners Member

For what it's worth, the font for the dots is Times New Roman, in 10-point, and the line spacing is set at "Exactly" at 2 pt.
  8. Hans Christian

Checked!!! :-D
  9. dhanners

dhanners Member

Didn't get a whole lot done last night, but I did get the AFRSI applied to the fuselage sides. Here's a photo of the sides, as well as a photo of the starboard side taped to the payload bay door to give an impression of what it'll look like when it's finished. There's still some tweaking and clean-up to do, like aligning the black PBD hinge areas on the front half of the doors (the rear half hinges are offset like I've depicted) but like I said, they're just taped together.

I left the AFRSI off the edge that will attach to the nose section of the model. It'll be covered later, to hide the seam.

Next, I'll glue together the internal frame, then glue the fuselage sides to the frame. In thinking through the construction (something you really have to do when you throw the instructions out the window) the PBDs will be the last thing on because I'll want to be able to reach inside the payload bay opening to get the compound curves and shape of the nose section correct.

And is it just me or has this website been acting hinky the past couple of days? I'll click to load a page and nothing happens, but I'll click again and things will come up ok. Then the whole thing will happen all over again. It took about a half-dozen tries to upload the photos. Frustrating....

Attached Files:

10. Hans Christian

This thread just keeps getting better and better!!!
  11. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks for the kind words, but now I've got a question for you since you've already built this thing. There's a discrepancy between the way the kit parts fit and a drawing in the instructions that has me confused, and I wanted to clear it up before I start gluing things together.

It involves the fuselage side formers and cross-pieces that are glued together to form the internal structure and provide the contour of the lower body pieces. The drawing in the instructions (and the drawings aren't always the best) show the fuselage side formers and cross-pieces glued so that everything -- the bottom edges of the side formers and the bottom edges of the cross-pieces -- aren't flush on the bottom. The drawing in the instructions show the side formers raised a hair from the cross-pieces. Yet when you cut out the little slots in the side formers and cross-pieces and fit the pieces together, all the bottom edges are flush.

The "everything-is-flush-on-the-bottom" approach makes the most sense to me. But since this is kind of a major component of the assembly and the wings have to fit on it, I thought I'd ask what your experience was with the model. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.
  12. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

From my experience building the model, I had the pieces flush and it turned out to have better shape then the first try. I would love to take pictures of the bottom form for you but Challenger is currently in one of my school classrooms having been used for a project. Hope this helps.
  13. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks for the info. Flush seems to make more sense, and when I stick the rear section on, it appears to fit. So I think that's what I'll do.

I will say this -- I'm coming to appreciate the internal structure that Leo Cherkashyn provides with his Buran model. It goes together very well and makes for a sturdy model. Plus, I think of the MARS Center folks had offered a version of their model with a closed payload bay, it would solve a lot of fit issues. But that's just me. I've never designed a model in my life (other than what I've scratchbuilt) and so I offer my kudos to people who can do it.
  14. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Hah, there are always models that are a pain to try and put together, but in the end when it is finished. It was worth the effort. Good luck with the rest of the build David.
  15. dhanners

dhanners Member

Got the frame done. I added triangle-shaped cardboard pieces at the corners where the fuselage sides and cross-pieces met to keep them square, and once all of them had dried, I added pieces of balsa (or was it basswood? I can't remember...) on the pieces to keep them straight. (And those are big pieces of basswood glued to the fuselage sides to keep them straight. (While some cardmodeling purists might frown on using pieces of wood as internal formers, I figure paper is made out of wood so they're just "pre-paper." The whole thing is still organic.)

The first couple of pictures are the frame and fuselage sides, and the last photo is of some of the components taped together, so ignore any fit problems.

Next up: the wings....

Attached Files:

16. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

looks great. I see that the door doesnt fit to the OMS pods too well on yours either. We have all had that problem. But it still looks very impressive. Keep up the great work on it.
  17. dhanners

dhanners Member

The stuff is taped and I haven't done the final bending and shaping of the PBDs. I'll fiddle with the PBD/OMS pod interface after everything else gets assembled. If the problem still exists when it's all together, one solution that has struck me is to cut off the forward sections of the OMS pods from spare sheets I have and form them to fit. Since the AFRSI blankets provide something for the spare piece to butt up against, it could work.

One other thing I did today was take some 1/200th-scale drawings of the shuttle/ET/SRB combo I have to a print shop and enlarged them to 1/96th scale to get a sense of what size this thing is going to be once done. Jeepers. It'll be big. But it'll look nice next to the Energia/Buran.

It also makes me wonder why none of the plastic companies never did a 1/96th-scale shuttle. I know Tamiya did one in 1/100th scale, but it would've been nice to have the other scale.
  18. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Well I hope it works out for ya and that the problem gets solved so the pods fit to the PBDs.

Anyway, about the size difference, It should be about the same size.
    here is a picture

[​IMG]

you can also find more pictures of my shuttle build in my album, feel free to browse around.

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll112/underwoodl06/
  19. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks. The photos are helpful. You've got some impressive models in your album....
  20. Hans Christian

I agree also to the "flush on the bottom" method... And from what I remembered from building Atlantis, I did cut those slots on the side formers and cross pieces...

But beware sir when you glue the belly on the structure... they tend to warp... which can result to the underside following the contours of the formers, but leaving you with large regions not following the characteristic "curve" of the Shuttle's belly

I'll take a shot of my models here too... I'll just need to install the EVA toolboxes on Atlantis' docking adapter :-D