Marklin locomotives

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by stanC, Jun 24, 2007.

1. stanC

stanC Member

I was checking these on the Internet. They seem really expensive. Is there something special about them. I read that the Marklin track has a middle rail. Does that mean the Marklin locomotives will only run on a Marklin track

Regards
    Stanley
  2. Justin

Justin Member

Marklin does make some 3-rail tarins like you mentioned. They are AC powered too if that helps. No body else I know off make 3 rail HO track. I have some vintage Marklin track and power supply.
  3. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

European models in general cost more than North American models.

Marklin HO track doesn't exactly have a third rail like Lionel O, but a series of metal studs on the ties. Electrically, it's the same - AC 3-rail. And in HO unlike in O, there are no compatible brands.
  4. Fluesheet

Fluesheet Member

The expense is partly the exchange rate with the Euro and partly the labor cost in Europe. The upside is that Marklin (and Trix - Marklin's two-rail division) make very high quality items - at least the ones I've been exposed to. Germans love their toys.

I have a buddy that has a toy-steam internet shop (Wilesco steam engines, Wilesco, Mamod, Jensen steam engines). As a lot of his items are German, he attends the Nuremburg toy show yearly. He says it is something else - a huge affair both in size, quality and marketing of the displayed toys.