Marker Lights

absnut

Does anyone know if someone makes marker lights that could be mounted on the tail end passenger car? If not, does anyone have a trick for making them yourself?

Dick

jdh

i have seen this using small LEDs pointing straight out the back.
they drill the hole smaller than the led, so it only shows the curve of the top of the led.

this would not work for the side marker types though.

have you looked at tomar industries?

i have a couple of their herald kits.

absnut

jdh,

Tomar's all seem too new but, thanks for pointing them out. What I need are the older, side lanterns. They need not "operate".

Dick

jdh

ok, in that case...

precision scale co has something that might be too modern, part # 585-6739 & 585-6740

there are caboose lantern marker lamps that might be more in line with what you are looking for, sunrise enterprises 695-15652

sunrise also has ditch lights which may work for you, 695-15602 15613 15614 15626 156261

<part numbers are walther's numbers>

can you descibe the type of car you are using, and the era you are wanting?

absnut

jdh,

They're for my "transition era" pike, specifically for the rear of my passenger trains (See "Kit Bashed Coaches under Scratchin' and bashin'). This would put the time frame as 30's to 50's. Thanks for your interest.

Dick

Dick, it would be worth experimenting with fibre optics as the lamp lens fed from a high intensity LED (easier to mask off spurious light and also low voltage while train is stationary). As for a scale marker lamp housing.. hmmmmm, I have no idea.

Errol

absnut

Errol,

Years ago when I modeled British outline in N, Langley Miniatures (I believe it was) manufactured small lanterns in white metal and included small "jewels" for lenses. At the time, I had many..... all gone now (sadly) with my British equipment. I believe I could have "adapted" these to my pruposes.

Dick

Vic

Dick, At one time a company called Utah Pacific had some working markers just like what you are describing....they weren't any particular scale....although they touted them as being HO....They were very tiny and think they would only just be slightly oversized for N. They used a 1.5 volt axil lamp (about the size of a large grain of sand) Maybe there's still some of them hanging around somewhere.