Marek Corsair Repaint

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cgutzmer, May 22, 2007.

1. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Chris has graciously let me beta build his repaint. I'll be reporting on the build directly on this thread.

So far I've printed the kit on Wasau 90lb (165 gsm) Exact Index paper on a Canon printer. I've doubled up the formers with card stock (three sheets total) rather than using cereal boxes to see if it is easier to cut. Unfortunately the thickness is only 0.57mm so I'll have to add another sheet. There is no directions in the kit for what the thickness should be, but 0.8mm should be satisfactory.

This 1:33 kit contains a cockpit and other details not included in the 1:50 scale. I'll be starting the build from the cockpit. This should be fun.

Though this model is built using the butt join method, there are some joining strips. A question for anyone who has built this kit - the fuselage joining strips for the cowling (between parts 1 & 2) and for the tail section (between parts 19 & 20) are lettered in red. While it doesn't appear necessary, should the strips be doubled?
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I've haven't built this one yet but I would say the answer is no.
    Joining strips should be printed on regular paper and not doubled.

Russell
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I print the joining strips on the same 65 lb stock as everything else. When all the join strips are on one sheet I print that sheet off with standard copy paper :) that should suffice.

Also for the formers you can add another layer if you want, butt (hahaha) it prolly wouldnt really be needed.

Looking forward to seeing it! How did it print with all the dark colors?
    Chris
  4. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

I always print strips in plain bond paper, this allows better bending.
  5. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

The printing came out well. The colors are a bit dark, but they match the pictures you've posted. I doubld up the formers to 0.97mm and glued the last sheet perpendicular to the others to stiifen it more than if all the sheets had their grain in the same direction. I need to pick up some super glue to harden the edges o fthe formers so that I can sand them without the edges fraying too much.
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Excellent tip! I wouldnt have thought of that (the super glue) but it is an EXCELLENT idea - thanks :)
    Chris
  7. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I've completed the cockpit. It was a bit fiddly because there are no markings for where the dashboard should be glued. I ended up gluing part 7 (the interior skin) to the floor sides only and letting it 'float'. Then I installed the dash so that it was flush with the skin's opening wall. The dash took up the slack in the wall and rounded it out nicely. Note that part 11, the front bulkhead, should no be glued to the skin because it's shape does not match the dashboard. I then glued part 10 (rear bulkhead) to the cockpit and glued it to the floor and part 7. I then notched the skin above the dash to house the sight. I hope this doesn't bite me back later and interfere with the canopy. I replaced the joystick and the throttle, and added some seat belts. I don't know how accurate the model's cockpit is, but there seems to be some variation looking at photos on the web.

I have some pictures in the gallery. Please bear with me until I get more practice in macro mode.

1:33 Corsair F4U1A by Marek cockpit - Hobby Photo Gallery - Zealot.com

1:33 Corsair F4U1A by Marek cockpit - Hobby Photo Gallery - Zealot.com

Note the gap on the right side where I forgot to shape the side properly (part 9R).

I'll be away for the next few days but will then continue fuselage. I've already noticed that former B, between parts 1 and 2 of the front fuselage, doesn't have a cutout for the exhaust. Looks to be a small challenge.
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thanks for the update! Just as an FYI - I did no modifications to the cockpit so that wasnt my fault ;) heh heh

I noticed that on several planes I built that its kinda hard to tell where some of the cockpit pieces go. It looks to me like you got them where they should be though. Time will tell!
    Chris
  9. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

It's been awhile since I posted. Work has still been very busy. I removed the interior skin to the cockpit and also the dash. I then glued the formers fore and aft and placed a new interior skin back on. This seems to be the proper steps for assembly. The dash still doesn't fit as shown in the diagram. Not sure what to do about it. I was edge coloring the outer fuselage skin (part 6) but somehow got a water stain on it so I need to print off a new one. wall1
    Pictures tonight, with hopefully a few more sections completed.
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I seem to have dash issues in most of the planes I build. They never seem to fit right - I thought it was just me ;)
    Chris
  11. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I printed out new parts and edge colored with no stains this time. After trying to get the outer skins on the cockpit for over an hour, I realized that the inner cockpit skin was too thick. It should have been printed on paper instead of cardstock. I ripped it off, sanded the formers, and the parts now fit well. I stilll need to sand some more in order to add joining strips in place of the inner skin. I'm calling it quits for tonight. The saga continues.
  12. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

It's been quite a while since I last posted on this or any thread. Work has been hellacious. Plus, my mother-in-law stayed over for a week and commandeered my workspace! And last week there was a death in the family. My apologies to Chris for me dragging this build out. I will be posting again very soon.
  13. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

No apologies needed mate...

Life seems to get in the way of things at times. What happens to us is not the issue, it's how we deal with it. Once your comfortable to get back into building, your fine and your work will show it.

I'm glad people are actually showing more builds.

For me... I just got a new car which means I get back 4-5 hours of my day which means I can get paid work done and out of the way. I'll be able to build my hobby desk and with that I can have a whole table top which does not have to be cleared everytime I have to do digital work at home.

YAY!
  14. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Any updates on either the beta build of the recolor or the weathered recolor?
  15. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I'm finally getting back to the beta build and will be posting pics in the next few days. A weathered recolor may or may not follow (it's up to Chris).
  16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I have had nearly no time as of late. Building over the summer always slows down for me. After I see how thebeta build comes along I will work on a weathered version :D
    Chris
  17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Cool! A weathered version would be awesome!:thumb:

Russell
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

It will be a touch more than weathered actually if my abilities can match my desires. I am going to make some battle damage like a strafing on one wing, maybe bloodstain on the seat with some holes punched in the fuselage, some obvious field patch jobs etc etc :) (actually forget the etc etc thats all I can think of off the top of my head...
    Chris
  19. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Oooo, oil leak stains and smoke stains from a blown piston, black Flak marks!

We can think of all kinds of etc's! Hehehe:mrgreen:

Russell
  20. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Maybe I can get John Reid to make one of his stupendous little figures shot and bleeding in the cockpit :)