Marek Corsair Repaint

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cgutzmer, May 22, 2007.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Hello everyone!

I am going to try something new for me. If you have been following my threads as of late it probably wont be a big surprise. I am going to attempt a recolor of Mareks 1:33 corsair from dewaynes site.

[​IMG]

I hope to turn it into my personal livery in IL2 Sturmovik 1946.
    [​IMG]

I hope to pull this off in Illustrator and I intend to try and show how I did things as I do them. Keep in mind this is new territory for me so we will see how it goes.

If I have a good time with it, Dewayne has a special request for my second one!
    Chris
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Now this should be a real interesting thread!
    I am sure you can do it Chris! I have faith in you.

A good personal challenge.
    It will be enjoyable to watch your progress on this new endeavor!

Russell
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Good Luck Chris................ does Illustrator have layers?

One Big Tip.......................SAVE OFTEN...........and to different file names.
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I am pretty sure it has layers. I think they call it something different. I was pretty good with photoshop 5 and 6 back in the day and the interface still looks fairly familiar here. I am going to start out by going through the built in tutorials and decide from there if its the best product to do the recolor. Save often - heck yeah! :D I will still boff that from time to time though ;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence Russell :) I think this will either be super hard or super easy right off the bat. We shall see which it is. Luckily for me I have the skin my friend designed for that plane so it will help immensely. I wont be starting from scratch. This is what I have to start with.....
    [​IMG]
  5. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Go For it!
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Hey all,
    I have been working on learning photoshop (again) cs is a bit different but some stuff is falling back into place. I am going to start doing the provided tutorials in photoshop.

I have kind of hit a standstill early on here. I want to preserve the panel lines of the original model. I cant figure out how to get just the panel lines out and into their own layer. Any ideas? All else failing I might just try to use the new graphics alone but mareks panel lines are much better. Besides i know when I start my next repaint It will be from scratch and I will defintely want to preserve panel lines.... might as learn it up front :)
    Thanks!
    Chris
  7. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

All marek's models are done in Corel and exported to PDF.
    Corel 12 (maybe earlier versions too) can open it in original format so you should be able to get all the colors and markings out, leaving only the panel lines and outlines of the model. Then of course you can export it as JPG to continue working in Photoshop
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Then there is the old fashioned way..................

Copy everything into a new layer........... use the magic selection tool to select a color/area and with a lower limit set on the "select similar" click it and delete what you do not want.

Save layer as outline.

Does that make sense?

john
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

YEP!
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I turned the sensitivity wayyyyyy down (to 1) on the magic wand and it works like a charm! Thanks :) I had to use help to figure out how to turn it down then I saw the handy little menu thingy on the toolbars at the top - it changes based on the tool you choose - how convienent!
    thanks a ton :)
    Chris
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

OK photoshop gurus - I am pretty handy at getting all the colors out then creating a new layer with just the outline. How do I step the original layer back to colored. I think it would be handy to mask and unmask that layer for comparison reasons :)
    Thanks
    Chris
  12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Nevermind - I am getting smarter as the night goes on :D I will duplicate the whole page into a new layer first and work on the new layer. duh.... :)
    Chris
  13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Chris..................... Rob was the one that told me about the layers............. Now I ALWAYS put anything new to it's own layer.

Helpful tip (for me anyway)........... change the layer's name in properties to something specific to that layer............... then you don't have to figure out what the layer is/does when you pick back up after saving.

For example............ on barrys Tarawa I'm playing with here is a sscreen shot showing the layers I've messed with so far......
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thanks man - I am getting the hang of layers now - they are very handy indeed :)
    Chris
  15. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

This thread is a little gem, in it's own right!
    I am very green at this, and I am only slightly familiar with the methods but you guys make it easier to understand.
    Thanks for shedding some new light on an old yet still mysterious subject guys.
    Looking forward to more of your problems Chris!

That didn't sound right did it?:twisted:
    I just love hearing the great solutions as you work things out!
    No matter if they seem trivial to those with experience, there is plenty for someone to learn here.
    Someday, when I get caught up with my commitments instead of making more, I plan to do a couple repaints myself.:roll:
    Thanks again, guys!

Russell
  16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Well the recolor is coming along slowly but surely. I created a new layer out of the original layer for the base recolor. The majority of the original model consists of only three colors so this part was fairly simple. I magic wanded one part of one color then did a select similar to find everything that color then I did a paint bucket to fill in each section to all the color was replaced with what I wanted. Lather, rinse, repeat for each color. I pretty much have each sheet redone in the basic shades of black to grey. I will post a sample later. :)
    Chris
  17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That sounds pretty cool, can't wait to see it!

Russell
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Before and after - Mine is the all grey and black obviously :) I am not sure I am good with the shades I chose. Further tweaking may be needed - we shall see after I start adding the lightning and whatnot.

I do plan on two versions - one with weathering and one without - I figure since I am really out to learn with this one I might as well try both. I made a trip to the library tonight and came home with about 6 books on wwII aircraft so I can see pics of how they weather - even some corsairs in there. Luckily I stopped at the library store and found an awesome book for one dollar :)

The illustrated encyclopedia of combat aircraft of world war II - a technical directory of the warplanes of 1939-1945 by bill gunston. Every page 240ish has a plane with a three view drawing and at least one real photo :)
    Chris
  19. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Lookin' good! Keep at it!
  20. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Moving along slowly..... Took me a while to get the lightning loking how I wanted - I still might mess with the colors a bit on it to make it more blue but here is a quick shot!
    Chris