Maple Valley Logging & Millwork

Bill Nelson

gift cards.

Way back in the dawn of time , before they has styrene at the hobby shop, I used to cut strips of old credit card to make insulating material for some of my early Brass modifications.

I have used some for some styrene projects, You use what you got.
With the I tunes card you could get some Goose Creek Symphony first and listen to country/rock/ blues/bluegrass /fusion Jazz while you are chopping plastic!

Bill Nelson

Sawdust

Thanks Guys I do have somewhat of a track plan. I'm planning on lettering the Bachman Spectrum 3 truck Shay with "Maple Valley Logging" or just putting on "MVL&M". I 'm also thinking about using the Heisler since it already has the markings of a lumber Co.for hauling the milled lumber out of the mill. Any comments? My mill office will have an apartment upstairs for Mr. Woody Ingrain who will be living there since he will be the caretaker of the yard for any midnight activities that are not welcomed :twisted: I listen to mostly Bluegrass & Gospel on the Ipod while modeling.

Bill Nelson

logging railroad types and structure.

It is time to think before you work on your plan, or letter locomotives. Lots of variations to the theme here, and you want to have a cohearant vision.

As to railroad organization there are a couple options I can think of off the top of my head. The first is the railroad is just an arm of the lumber co.: In that case the equipment might be labeled Maple Valley lumber and Milling co. The second option is the railroad is a separate entity, while possibly owned fully or mostly by the lumber outfit, It might be incorporated as a common carrier. This has advantages (you can condemn land via eminent domain), and some disadvantages ( you are forced to provide services for others along the right of way, and you are exposed to more regulation from the state. In the second case, the equipment might be labeled Maple Valley Railroad; have stations, passenger equipment, and other accouterments associated with a real railroad.

A third option is the railroad is a separate business, although possibly with very close ties to the lumber company, up to and including interlocking directors. My railroad follows this third path

Another major consideration is weather the mill is on a main line railroad or not. If it is not on the main line railroad, then there will have to be a separate interchange with the main line railroad, and tracks to connect that interchange to the mill. This track will be much more permanent than woods trackage, and might have a very different look to it than the woods track. This is the case with my railroad, where the valley Division has a ruling grade of 3.3%, and except in Harlow 21 inch radius curves; and the Mountain Division has 8% grades and 18in radius curves.

This has some advantages and disadvantages, but my railroad is essentially two different railroads (hence the Divisions). I have a place for the geared power, and there is a place for rod engines, including the 2-4-4-2's I love so well.

Now if your railroad is on the main line of a real railroad, you could have a big loop and a big staging yard, run through freight and passenger trains past the sawmill, as well as local freight and passenger service, which could be very interesting and fun. In this case, you might just have a mill switcher that would spot the flats and boxcars for lumber loading, or alternately this could be handled by a switch engine from the main line railroad (I'm thinking the mill switcher option would be more fun).

So those are my quick thoughts on lumber company/railroad operations. In any case do a lot of thinking before you lay the track.

Bill Nelson

Doctor G

Rail Road planning

Thanks Guys I do have somewhat of a track plan. I'm planning on lettering the Bachman Spectrum 3 truck Shay with "Maple Valley Logging" or just putting on "MVL&M". I 'm also thinking about using the Heisler since it already has the markings of a lumber Co.for hauling the milled lumber out of the mill. Any comments? My mill office will have an apartment upstairs for Mr. Woody Ingrain who will be living there since he will be the caretaker of the yard for any midnight activities that are not welcomed :twisted: I listen to mostly Bluegrass & Gospel on the Ipod while modeling.

It has got to be fun dreaming of your new layout!!! Brother Bill Nelson has certainly given you some good ideas. Think and think some more before you build.

Only 2 cents I would throw in here would be consider a totally fictional short line that connects with a real world common carrier. Bill and I chose the Southern RR.

What is fun is that you can use a variety of locomotives and rolling stock that way. From a scenery perspective you get to model two different roadbeds and supporting structures.

In the picture below you can see a Shay sitting on the C&S short line RR and that it interchanges with the Southern RR where the steam engine is poking out of a tunnel. The Southern RR has a nicely ballasted mainline using crushed limestone. The C&S branch line RR sits on a dirt roadbed as it is definitely low budget.

Also you can see the nice metal water tank on the Southern main. Down the line aways the C&S gets by with old shay water tenders on cribbing to quench the thirst of its lokies.

Have Fun!!! looking forward to your progress.

Doc Tom:wave:

Attachments

• Southern interchange.jpg
    Southern interchange.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 31
  • rural water tank.jpg
    rural water tank.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 40

Sawdust

Saw Mill Office Progress

Well I finally got to do some more work on the office building. I thought I would have more time this past week because of so much rain but I actually bidded a painting job :eek: in which I hate doing being a trim carpenter but I got to keep working. Now I have both inside & outside work going which is a good thing being self employed these days. Since I'm on the subject of painting I recently painted a concrete door stoop using the new paint at the orange box store that has primer & finish coat combined. If you like using water based paints for modeling it is fantastic & they have a lot of nice colors especially if your like me the earth colors. They also sell this stuff in pint cans & will mix it for you. We are not allowed to mention brand names on here anymore so if you want more info email me.

Here you can see I stayed with the MVL&M color scheme. I need to add the bottom window trim. Some of the windows are a little crooked to depict structure movement & settling that you see in some older buildings.
DSCF4690.jpg

I will have a wooden side entry for the second floor apartment. I normally build my steps but these are pretty long so I might go with the plastic steps.
DSCF4691.jpg

DSCF4692.jpg

Bill Nelson

nice work

Nice work as usual. Keep it coming.

When my house sags it takes the window openings with it. My modeling is getting the short shift also, as I try to get a wall back on the downstairs bathroom before the show flies. I have plywood up, but the studs are just tacked in till I'm sure of the window position. I've mainly been a trim carpenter, and cabinet guy, so doing frame work, patching onto 130 year old work, none of which is level square or plumb, keeps me busy splitting the difference.

Bill Nelson

Doctor G

Super nice work

That is a beautiful building!!! Thanks also for the tip on the primer+paint at the unnamed depot store near home.

I had seen ads on TV about it and wondered if it could be used in modeling. Did you use it in this recent structure? If so it sure covered nicely and I may have to find that depot near home to get me some.

Doc Tom:thumb:

Sawdust

No Doc I haven't used it on plastic yet but have wood & it covers very well. I mainly like the color options & the pint size cans that are availiable.

Sawdust

I managed to get some more framing done on the porch & steps.
DSCF4789.jpg

DSCF4788.jpg

I normally cut my steps but I opted for the plastic this time since they are so long.
DSCF4790.jpg

DSCF4795.jpg

I will install the windows & maybe some curtains, put the metal roof on & some of the trim next time. Any comments are welcomed & Thanks for viewing.

Bill Nelson

I really like the front porch and the exposed stairs to the upper level. It is coming along very well are those Central Valley stairs?

Looking really good.

Bill Nelson

Sawdust

Thanks Bill, Yes on the Central Valley stairs. They make very nice steps,ladders,rails & fencing & their not expensive.

Bill Nelson

great stuff

Yes those central valley stairs and fence sets are grear. thier prat truss is awsome as well.

I'd like to play with their track system some time, it looks like it would produce exceptionally good looking track relatively easily.

This is one of those companys that has been around forever, they used to make some fine old time boxcar kits out of thin plywood. as an interesting touch, they had the board lines and nail marks printed on the inside of the walls.

Bill Nelson

Sawdust

Thanks guys for the nice comments, I'm going to try to finish this little project up this weekend. We have a local train show this weekend so I will probably get some more toys :mrgreen: I'm really trying to get my Coal Mine out & start working on it soon. My biggest interests are Logging & Mining, but both of these are rather large projects of mine. Not having a layout up & running is forcing me to build these as modules for future placement on the layout. It is hard trying to figure out where to stop with the detail to keep these in mobile forms until finished. I laid the Mill project out a few weeks ago & with the pond area it will take an area about 32"w x 60"L. The mining project won't be as large so I may just concentrate on that for awhile right now. I will be posting it real soon. Thanks again & have a blessed weekend.

Sawdust

Well I finally finished this Mill office, been a long time coming.
The first pic shows Woody Ingrain playing a game of checkers with the office manager to start the day.
DSCF4862.jpg

Here is the upstairs entry to Woody's apartment.
DSCF4873.jpg

DSCF4867.jpg

DSCF4869.jpg

DSCF4874.jpg

Thanks for viewing & I hope you enjoyed it. Any comments or questions are welcomed. Don't be shy.

Doctor G

Beautiful Work

This is really beautiful!!!! I love the cut and stacked firewood on the front porch and the blowing curtains in the open windows. Very good color selections in the building and trim too.

Doc Tom:thumb:

Bill Nelson

Very nice little scene! This is interesting. almost all of us build the railroad first, and then build buildings for it. I can't wait to see photos of the whole set up.

Do you have any phot's of the coal mine yet?

Bill Nelson

Sawdust

Thanks guys for your comments.
Doc those curtains are small pieces of toilet paper (unused Charman) :mrgreen: rolled up like an accordian & then opened slightly & glued to the inside of the wall.

Bill since I don't have a RR up & running I have been building things as diaromas or modules. I plan on building the layout as modules for easy take down when we move. This is working well with the Mill & Coal Mine project since I can move them around. I haven't taken any pics of the CM yet. I might go ahead & take some & post what I have this weekend.

steamhead

That's a gorgeous little structure...!!! The secret's in the details, and you've hit them right on the nose..!! :thumb:
Can't wait to see what you come up with on that coal mine....