Mantua: code 83 or code 100 track ?

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
There are a lot of steam locomotives for sale on eBay but the sellers don't mention if the locomotive being auctioned can be run on code 83 or code 100. If you ask them, a lot of them don't honestly know. So if I purchased a Mantua for example, can I run it on code 83. I wish I had a list of what runs on what. :confused:

LIRR

Dec 19, 2004
I think pretty much any american companys locomotives will run on code 83. The only ones you have to worry about are european stuff.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I would add older Rivarossi to the deep flange list. Most American made stuff, including Mantua, has been using the RP25 standard for quite a few years.

robt46

Nov 21, 2004
Hey thanks guys. I have a Mantua also. the same question was bugging me. Thanks for the answer. I get confused with the terminology too. But every body here is so helpful. Its just a matter of asking. My next question is about installing a DCC decoder in a Mantua. Heard something about isolating the motor but I didnt fully understand how. Any advise. Or should I post it.

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
XavierJ123 said:
Now you're confusing me with more terminology. What is C100 and RP25? Hmmm, is C100 short for code 100? So much to learn, so little time.
Ha Xavier, Yes c100/ Code 100. RP 25 is the NMRA standard for wheel profile.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
robt46 said:
Hey thanks guys. I have a Mantua also. the same question was bugging me. Thanks for the answer. I get confused with the terminology too. But every body here is so helpful. Its just a matter of asking. My next question is about installing a DCC decoder in a Mantua. Heard something about isolating the motor but I didnt fully understand how. Any advise. Or should I post it.

Sorry guys, I forget from time to time that terms used in the hobby aren't known to everyone in the hobby. An NMRA Standards Gauge provides all the necessary measurements for wheels and clearances including the RP25 contour. My bad... :eek:ops:

Isolating the motor is not difficult as long as the motor is separate from the frame. Mantuas use an open frame motor so this should be alright. The idea is to remove any dependence that the motor has on the frame for power pickup. On Mantuas this is usually done thru the motor mounting screws. By replacing these with nylon screws and placing an insulating piece of plastic or paper between the motor and frame. These screws can be gotten at any hobby store that specializes in R/C racers and airplanes. Once mounted, check for continuity between the motor and frame with a multimeter or continuity tester. If the meter doesn't move or the tester doesn't light, you've successfully isolated the motor.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The modular club I blong to once required code 100 rail because of the number of old Rivarrossi locomotives owned by members. One member who is chairman of the "standards committee" tried an experiment using an old Rivarossi on code 83 track and discovered that because of the smaller size of the "spike" detail on the code 83 track, the large flanges didn't have any problem.

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
It should be fine unless it's very old Mantua. I have a Mantua 2-8-2 that I bought shortly after changing over to HO (1989) and I've had code 83 track the whole time, and it hasn't had any problems with it. BTW it does have a can motor, most of the higher priced Mantua engines (2-8-2, 4-6-2, 2-6-6-2 etc.) began coming with can motors about that same time - mine was apparently one of the first to come from the factory with a can motor.

p.s. Mantua used to make replacement can motors for older engines, pretty easy to do but I don't if Model Power has / will offer it.

robt46

Nov 21, 2004
Hey guys, thanks for answering the questions. I understand it much better now. Xavier, sorry about throwing in the zinger on the DCC thing. But I do that, Ugghh! I dont know why! Interesting and informative. Anyway feel free to get me back anytime. I got my Mantua 2-8-2 in the mid 90's. I'm gonna look it over. Mabe I'll try tackling this myself. I want to go with code 83 on the trackwork . I want to go all DCC so here we go. Thanks again. Robt.

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
No problem Robt. I enjoy all the conversation. A fellow can learn a lot that way. Talk about getting off the subject; they had a TV show on the Discovery Channel tonight about Monster something or other. Anyway, this guy in New Jersey built the world's largest model train layout. He ended up buying a whole building just to build his dream layout and it's open to the public. It was really something. He had some cute ideas: for example: an old Ford Trimotor airplane that crashed into one of his mountains or the mountain couple who refused to sell their land to the mining company so the mining company developed all around their mountain home. Hope some of you got a chance to see it.