Mantua 2-6-6-2 Articualted Logger

Discussion in 'Logging, Mining and Industrial Railroads' started by camelot, Jan 14, 2003.

1. camelot

camelot Member

Recently detailed this logger , thought i would post a picture of it for all to view.

Cheers

Ian

Attached Files:

2. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Ain't she a beaut! :D :D :D Nice weatherin'
  3. Steam Donkey

Steam Donkey Member

What a beauty! (said with Jon's famous imitation Aussi accent)

Nicely done, Ian! :cool: Looooove those Mallets. Nice lookin' bridge approach in the background. Do you have any logging scenes on your layout? Is it free lanced or do you following the West Side Lumber prototype?

Stan
  4. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Well, I'm not a logger but I like it! :cool:
  5. shamus

shamus Registered Member

She is beautiful, Need one just like that
    Shamus[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. camelot

camelot Member

Hi Stan,

My layout is not really photogenic at the moment with only trackwork being done , most of the hardshell as been done but thats about it .

I have get a little distracted detailing some locos and rolling stock , i seem to put my limited time into those these days.

As for following the WSLC , not really , i am not too fussy about prototype , i don't know if WSLC had much standard guage let alone a articulataed logger , i just like the look of it.rolleyes:

Thanks for your thoughts:
  7. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Love Those Articulated Locos...

Beautiful work! Photogenic or not, your layout is still nicer than mine! Don't be afraid to keep posting!
  8. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Sir Camelot, I'm with Steve, th eimportant thing is that you are doin it, and I might add what you've done is mighty goooood loooookin too! :D :D :D Keep the cool pics comin and rock on baby!
  9. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

I like it too! Nice detailing!, and I know it wasn't easy. I did a similar modification some time back.
    Pete

Attached Files:

10. camelot

camelot Member

Very Nice Sumpter , i too like articulated steam logging , presume it is Mantua like mine and not Brass.

Thanks for the picture.

Cheers

Ian
  11. sumpter250

Ian,
    I take that as a high compliment!! :D
    The saddle tank, and most of the cab came from the MDC battle mountain narrow gauge 0-8-0, 3 in 1 kit. I had used the frame to build a tender type outside frame 2-4-4-2.
    Pete
  12. camelot

camelot Member

I Love it !!:D

Any chance i could twist your arm to post the 2-4-4-2 you mentioned any other logging articulated fpr that matter?

Cheers

Ian
  13. sumpter250

I know I have posted this somewhere before, but couldn't find it so,, here it is again.

Attached Files:

• 2442.jpg
      2442.jpg
      File size:
      47.6 KB
      Views:
  14. sumpter250

This is the shot I use for my avatar, it's the Sumpter Valley Railways 2-6-6-2 #250, a 3' gauge loco that was originally a 2-6-6-2t on the Uintah Railway.

Attached Files:

15. camelot

camelot Member

WOW

Wow..oh wow....

WOW

Very nice Locos , i love shays , but these loggers are something special .Thanks for the pictures.

Do you have a web site per chance?

Cheers

Ian
  16. sumpter250

Ian,
    I'm about at my limit with the posting I do here. The only web site I have is where the spiders are catching the bugs in the basement! :D :D :D
    Pete
  17. Dragon

Dragon Member

I hope ya'll will forgive me for resurrecting an old thread. I've only recently learned of The Guage.

I bought this old Mantua logger from a fella online for $5. I replaced the boiler, cab, and walkways by getting replacement parts from Mantua. Scratchbuilt the monkey-deck out of styrene sheet and styrene square tubing, and the plow was a Presicion Scale brass piece.
    The walking surfaces on the Monkey deck and "running boards" along the boiler were covered by brass diamond-plate.

I figure I've got ~$60 in extra parts tucked into it (including a new NWSL can motor).

I'm going to be posting newer pictures very shortly (if I can stop the online gaming long enough). Everything is complete except the final paint on the boiler.

This engine now runs quiet and smooth, and has reversible lighting. I've left the tanks in place, but have converted the cab to the tender-engine style and am running an MDC short Vanderbuilt tender behind it. I'm trying to model it like the short period of time when the Sumpter Valley converted these from tank to tender. this leaves me room to pack a lot of extra weight on it.

Oh, and I lucked out finding the spoked lead and trailing trucks. Precision Scale seems to sell out of these on a regular basis.

Here are some early "work-in-progress" pics:

http://www.dragonmnt.com/Pictures/Models/dmlc251-1.jpg
    -as bought, with the new bogeys set in place beneath it

http://www.dragonmnt.com/Pictures/Models/DMLC2662-2.jpg
    -start of driver system rebuild, start of monkey-deck bashing, and the MDC Vandy tender

http://www.dragonmnt.com/Pictures/Models/dmlc251-2.jpg
    -"Getting closer!"

And, finally, a shot of the plow and monkey-deck sticking out of the scratchbuilt engine house I'm also working on.
    http://www.dragonmnt.com/Pictures/Models/NewEnginehouse-3.jpg

Michael
  18. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hello Michael and welcome to the gauge and the world of logging. Thats a real nice looking engine shed you are working on.
    Keep up the good work.
    Shamus
    [​IMG]
  19. interurban

interurban Active Member

BEAUTIFUL JUST BEAUTIFUL Ian...:thumb:

And Sumpter those are nice shots of encougment from your L/O

Sorry Michael, your links did`nt work for me:(
  20. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

What a splendid piece of work, Michael! A big thumbs up for your work. :thumb:

This brings up a question. In the last few ads for Trainworld ( I saw this in MR...They might be in other mags, too) there have been Mantua 2-6-6-2 units available for just $ 84.99 - This seems like a good deal to me. Is it? I'd love one to convert to On30 for the logging line.

Can anyone offer their advice?