Mantua 2-6-6-2 Articualted Logger

Steam Donkey

Jul 9, 2002
Maple Ridge, BC
Visit site
What a beauty! (said with Jon's famous imitation Aussi accent)

Nicely done, Ian! :cool: Looooove those Mallets. Nice lookin' bridge approach in the background. Do you have any logging scenes on your layout? Is it free lanced or do you following the West Side Lumber prototype?

Stan

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
She is beautiful, Need one just like that
Shamus
wink.gif

camelot

Jan 12, 2003
Perth Western Australia
Visit site
Hi Stan,

My layout is not really photogenic at the moment with only trackwork being done , most of the hardshell as been done but thats about it .

I have get a little distracted detailing some locos and rolling stock , i seem to put my limited time into those these days.

As for following the WSLC , not really , i am not too fussy about prototype , i don't know if WSLC had much standard guage let alone a articulataed logger , i just like the look of it.rolleyes:

Thanks for your thoughts:

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by camelot
Hi Stan,

My layout is not really photogenic at the moment with only trackwork being done , most of the hardshell as been done but thats about it .

Sir Camelot, I'm with Steve, th eimportant thing is that you are doin it, and I might add what you've done is mighty goooood loooookin too! :D :D :D Keep the cool pics comin and rock on baby!

Dragon

Nov 13, 2003
Western NY
www.dragonmnt.com
I hope ya'll will forgive me for resurrecting an old thread. I've only recently learned of The Guage.

I bought this old Mantua logger from a fella online for $5. I replaced the boiler, cab, and walkways by getting replacement parts from Mantua. Scratchbuilt the monkey-deck out of styrene sheet and styrene square tubing, and the plow was a Presicion Scale brass piece.
The walking surfaces on the Monkey deck and "running boards" along the boiler were covered by brass diamond-plate.

I figure I've got ~$60 in extra parts tucked into it (including a new NWSL can motor).

I'm going to be posting newer pictures very shortly (if I can stop the online gaming long enough). Everything is complete except the final paint on the boiler.

This engine now runs quiet and smooth, and has reversible lighting. I've left the tanks in place, but have converted the cab to the tender-engine style and am running an MDC short Vanderbuilt tender behind it. I'm trying to model it like the short period of time when the Sumpter Valley converted these from tank to tender. this leaves me room to pack a lot of extra weight on it.

Oh, and I lucked out finding the spoked lead and trailing trucks. Precision Scale seems to sell out of these on a regular basis.

Here are some early "work-in-progress" pics:

http://www.dragonmnt.com/Pictures/Models/dmlc251-1.jpg
-as bought, with the new bogeys set in place beneath it

http://www.dragonmnt.com/Pictures/Models/DMLC2662-2.jpg
-start of driver system rebuild, start of monkey-deck bashing, and the MDC Vandy tender

http://www.dragonmnt.com/Pictures/Models/dmlc251-2.jpg
-"Getting closer!"

And, finally, a shot of the plow and monkey-deck sticking out of the scratchbuilt engine house I'm also working on.
http://www.dragonmnt.com/Pictures/Models/NewEnginehouse-3.jpg

Michael

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hello Michael and welcome to the gauge and the world of logging. Thats a real nice looking engine shed you are working on.
Keep up the good work.
Shamus

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
What a splendid piece of work, Michael! A big thumbs up for your work. :thumb:

This brings up a question. In the last few ads for Trainworld ( I saw this in MR...They might be in other mags, too) there have been Mantua 2-6-6-2 units available for just $ 84.99 - This seems like a good deal to me. Is it? I'd love one to convert to On30 for the logging line.

Can anyone offer their advice?