Man did we make the right choice!

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
I still receive catalogs from that "other medium" and thought this might put a bit of perspective to our craft. The following 3 kits are 1/32 scale on sale at a hobby supplier. Notice that after the large price for the basic kit you still need to "upgrade" them with "detail" kits. And this is just basic, you can get "photoetched" seatbelts and buckles, extra canopies, tires with differant treads at about the same price as a "basic" Halinsky kit! And the usual upside of paper is you can make as many parts as you need if you mess one up. Try writing to Academy or Monogram for a replacement.

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
I still receive catalogs from that "other medium" and thought this might put a bit of perspective to our craft. The following 3 kits are 1/32 scale on sale at a hobby supplier. Notice that after the large price for the basic kit you still need to "upgrade" them with "detail" kits. And this is just basic, you can get "photoetched" seatbelts and buckles, extra canopies, tires with differant treads at about the same price as a "basic" Halinsky kit! And the usual upside of paper is you can make as many parts as you need if you mess one up. Try writing to Academy or Monogram for a replacement.

Attachments

• File0002.JPG
    File0002.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 380

hpept

Oct 29, 2005
São José dos Campos - Brasil
This is one of the reasons that made me turn into a paper modeler. I still have stocked in my parents' house something like two thousands euros in plastic and resin kits. Now that i'm a little on the edge for living, paper is the only kind of modelling that i can afford without taking food away from my son's mouth.

hpept

Oct 29, 2005
São José dos Campos - Brasil
This is one of the reasons that made me turn into a paper modeler. I still have stocked in my parents' house something like two thousands euros in plastic and resin kits. Now that i'm a little on the edge for living, paper is the only kind of modelling that i can afford without taking food away from my son's mouth.

cdcoyle

Nov 21, 2005
And those are the prices for aircraft models! Ship model prices, naturally, are proportionally worse.

cdcoyle

Nov 21, 2005
And those are the prices for aircraft models! Ship model prices, naturally, are proportionally worse.

GEEDUBBYA

Sep 26, 2005
PINE BLUFF, ARKANSAS
Howdy Guys,

Well, as I sit here, I am looking at about 71 different plastic model kits I have purchased in the last few months, the least expensive of which was the $5.00 Canberra produced in the old soviet union.
However, most of my plastic kits cost somewhere between $25.00 and $50.00 each.
I did however pick up a lot of great deals at the local IPMS show at Little Rock, Arkansas recently where I met Popala (Member here) and was able to view some of his paper models first hand.

This is to hpept: I am sure there would be plenty of people over at http://www.scale-models.co.uk who would love to know what you have at your parents house, I am sure you could even "recoup" some of your money on those models that are collecting dust by advertising them for sale over at that site.

Anyway, I am well on my way to having near the amount of money tied up in plastic kits that I had tied up in them back when I was married. (Back then I had several thousands of dollars worth of kits and several more thousands in airbrushes, compressors and paints).
But hey, plastic....paper......popsicle sticks, whatever you make your models out of, its all a hobby and relaxing to those of us who build models no matter what they are made of.

Have a good day,

greg

See my plastic model gallery at the scale models site by clicking here: http://www.scale-models.co.uk/gallery/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=398

henschel3.JPG

boeingstearmanpt171.JPG

GEEDUBBYA

Sep 26, 2005
PINE BLUFF, ARKANSAS
Howdy Guys,

Well, as I sit here, I am looking at about 71 different plastic model kits I have purchased in the last few months, the least expensive of which was the $5.00 Canberra produced in the old soviet union.
However, most of my plastic kits cost somewhere between $25.00 and $50.00 each.
I did however pick up a lot of great deals at the local IPMS show at Little Rock, Arkansas recently where I met Popala (Member here) and was able to view some of his paper models first hand.

This is to hpept: I am sure there would be plenty of people over at http://www.scale-models.co.uk who would love to know what you have at your parents house, I am sure you could even "recoup" some of your money on those models that are collecting dust by advertising them for sale over at that site.

Anyway, I am well on my way to having near the amount of money tied up in plastic kits that I had tied up in them back when I was married. (Back then I had several thousands of dollars worth of kits and several more thousands in airbrushes, compressors and paints).
But hey, plastic....paper......popsicle sticks, whatever you make your models out of, its all a hobby and relaxing to those of us who build models no matter what they are made of.

Have a good day,

greg

See my plastic model gallery at the scale models site by clicking here: http://www.scale-models.co.uk/gallery/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=398

henschel3.JPG

boeingstearmanpt171.JPG

wunwinglow

Jan 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
www.kipperboxes.co.uk
I agree with you Greg, whatever floats your boat.... I just spent £500 on archery equipment, I don't NEED a Yamaha FJR when a £50 bicycle would get me to work just as well (and fitter, probably) and I sometimes buy plastic kits just because they are fantastic things to look at and build. Exactly the same reason I bought a Modelik Flower Class; two, indeed, one each in 1:100 and 1:200 scale. I doubt if I will ever build them, I just like looking at them!
We are all different; rejoice in it! There are some digital kits that I wouldn't have on my hard disk, which others more dedicated and skilled than me will get hours of enjoyment from. I doubt if any GunDams will pass through my printer, but I still recognise the enjoyment they can bring to them's that do.

No-one is forcing you to buy plastic and resin kits. If you don't want them, don't buy them! And if no-one makes a paper kit of your pet subject, design your own! It isn't rocket science! (OK, maybe a SCUD missile is.....)

Tim Perry (wuninglow)

wunwinglow

Jan 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
www.kipperboxes.co.uk
I agree with you Greg, whatever floats your boat.... I just spent £500 on archery equipment, I don't NEED a Yamaha FJR when a £50 bicycle would get me to work just as well (and fitter, probably) and I sometimes buy plastic kits just because they are fantastic things to look at and build. Exactly the same reason I bought a Modelik Flower Class; two, indeed, one each in 1:100 and 1:200 scale. I doubt if I will ever build them, I just like looking at them!
We are all different; rejoice in it! There are some digital kits that I wouldn't have on my hard disk, which others more dedicated and skilled than me will get hours of enjoyment from. I doubt if any GunDams will pass through my printer, but I still recognise the enjoyment they can bring to them's that do.

No-one is forcing you to buy plastic and resin kits. If you don't want them, don't buy them! And if no-one makes a paper kit of your pet subject, design your own! It isn't rocket science! (OK, maybe a SCUD missile is.....)

Tim Perry (wuninglow)