Maly Modelarz HMS Bounty (1:100)

Jim Krauzlis

I don't know, Rob, I have a feeling Raimund is going to show us how to make those gaps disappear! :D

I suppose the Maty Modelarz designers like to make a single bulwark piece rather than a number of smaller longitudinal planks like Shipyard does, but those slits to help make the compound curve always bother me. JSC uses them a lot too, but in a waterline hull they don't seem as pronounced as in a full hull.

I am sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to see what Raimund does next! This is a really great thread, Raimund. And absolutely great photos!

Jim

Darwin

Raimund, this is why they call it paper modeling and not paper assembling. Your build is coming along quite nicely. My first attempt at a Maly kit is why I now build them only from redrawn scans (at least all those issued prior to the very late 90's).

Al hazlet

It's too late for this build, but if you cut out the hull-cover along the run of the planks, it might not be as obvious as the vertical joints that this one shows.

Al hazlett
studying nautical archaeology and ship construction

Jim Krauzlis

So, Al, you saying to cut the hull covers horizontally along the planking and copper planking lines, and join the sections snug at the vertical joints? That's a good idea! I bet that would minimize if not eliminate those vertical slits that Maty seems to favor.
I'll have to try and keep that trick in the back of my head when I try one with this type of construction.
Jim

rkelterer

hi everybody,

I just scanned two detail pictures from 'Bounty, John McKay, Delius Klasing Verlag' (the designer should have a deeper look at these book :roll:)

cheers from austria
raimund

Jim Krauzlis

Raimund, that's a pretty good source for the Bounty, and you are absolutely right, any designer of a Bounty model kit should refer to it in their design efforts...I'm just not sure if that book was around when this kit was first designed.

It could be the effect of perspective or because the upper bulwark/hull sides were not yet pulled tight against the hull formers, but I thought I also saw a spacing problem in the transom to hull sides area. I hope I am wrong (most likely with these old eyes :D ) or you are able to figure a way around that.

Looking forward to further updates!! :D

Jim

rkelterer

jim,

the gap you saw (it's there, your eyes are good :wink: ) will dissapear after fixing the part with glue - not yet done - the formers have to be adjusted before applying the handrail.

cheers
raimund

Ajax

A very nice looking model, Raimund! You're doing a great job overcoming the flaws of a kit. Myself, I'm lost whenever I encounter a part that doesn't fit quite right! :lol:

AJ

Peter H

Just found your Bounty ship building thread Raimund and it's marvelous.

I know this sounds a bit rough but I'd slide a scalpel under the skin and into the gap for about 4 to 5 millimetres and cut away some clearace then lift a tiny bit and get glue into the gap with a piece of fine wire and finally close it and stroke the seam with the back of a finger nail to create a smooth joint.

All said, still do what you feel makes you confident.

Keep it going, I'm hooked watching the progress and many thanks for showing your work.

rkelterer

after several tests for masts and yards i continue with the hull :D following the motto : step by step you will reach your goal 8)

cheers from austria

Jim Krauzlis

Nicely done, Raimund!

Can't wait to see how the transom came out with the added strip once it all dries and you then attach the aft ends of the hull sides. :D

Thanks for the photo updates!
Jim

rkelterer

now the hull will be closed (all further parts will applied only on the surface of existing parts)

cheers
raimund

rkelterer

the handrails next - all supporting piers are trimmed to bring the handrails behind the ship's side. to cover the surmounting handrail I cut a small stripe from 'rezerwa'.

jrts

Hi Raimund

Looks fantastic, if nothing else they gave the ships style with the paint and gilding work.

Keep the posts coming and looking forward to the next stage.

Regards

Rob