Maly Modelarz 1:300 Vittorio Veneto

I've seen that hobby Scott. I've never seen it in person, but it must be tons of fun. I can only imagine how fun it must feel to see your own ship take some one else's out. 8)

Although seeing your own go down must be difficult.

Cool hobby.

Port Side Secondary Guns

Well, that took some time. Finished with the port side secondary armament.

Two triple-6" turrets and six single-3.5" turrets. The barrels for the 6" guns are painted aluminum tube. The barrels for the 3.5" guns are painted styrene plastic.

I'm test building some blast bags at the moment, and I've about got the technique and look that I like down. I'm going to go back and add these when I've finished all the gun construction. I'm in a groove with the guns right now and don't want to lose my momentum.

I've been adding handrails as I go as a good break from the gun construction. The pictures will show some new port side hand rails (second deck) that I've added along with the 3.5's.

Starboard side is up next.

C

cgutzmer

That is looking most excellent! Thanks for keeping us involved with the pics :)
Chris

Jim Krauzlis

She's looking great, eibwarrior!

You did a wonderful job on the railings, as well as the AA guns.

Coming along very nicely...looking forward to more!:grin:

Cheers!
Jim

Starboard Side Finished

Just completed the starboard side guns. The ship is looking much more complete now. It's the home-stretch time.

Next up, the blast bags. I've made a few test runs on these and they should go pretty quickly. Multiple layers of tissue paper cut to fit and then painted with a custom "canvas color" acrylic.

I should have some shots of these up by the weekend.

Next will be all the small AA arms. Many of those, so here comes the monotony... 8)

C

cgutzmer

Looking really good! good luck with the treads - errr I mean AA guns!
Chris

Thanks for the comments guys...

I'm deep into the small component building. AA guns and search lights.

I've added all the AA guns to both port and starboard side platforms, and I've added a few of the 10 search lights to the upper works and funnels.

The blast bags on the 3.5" guns turned out satisfactory. Four layers of tissue paper cut to the right size, laminated and then painted with a custom acrylic color. The color is a solid beige, without and color photos of V.V. its hard to tell what color they were. They look light in the b/w photos. Probably lighter than my color.

I've made one run at the 6" blast bags with unsatisfactory results. I'm going to redo those and add the 15" bags later this week. I needed a trial run to get them right.

Thanks for looking in.

Boats, boats, boats

Past the stage of arms and now onto the ship's boats. Ten total on the second deck and main deck near the after mast.

There are four motorboats and six whale boats.

The construction on these were quite typical and just a bit time consuming on the motorboats. Now that these are complete, it's on to the last two paper components of the model... The lifeboats are up now and then the float plane that goes on the fantail catapult.

The lifeboats are a snap. Just cut and laminate to get the appropriate thickness. These are mounted to all the main gun turrets from what I can see in my reference photos.

Drawing near the finish. My test builds on the main blast bags have not been satisfactory. The bags will likely be the very last component added as I work out the kinks.

barry

I missed this one Elb it's looking really impressive and the bags on the AA came out well looking foward to more pics.

best wishes

barry

Thanks everyone!

I'm well past the last photos. I've added the float plane, done all the rigging, and well into handrails on the main decks now. Probably half-way thru the handrails. I ran out of etched rails and have some more on order, so I'm stopped for a bit until those arrive.

I should have some photos up later today to show the near complete ship.

The confound blast bags are a trifle though. Still working out the kinks on those.

Thanks!

Here are the shots I promised. You'll notice that some of the main deck handrails are complete in some of these and not in others.

The float plane was surprisingly easy to assemble despite the size. I'm not a miniature master like some among us. You know who you are. :wink:

As I sit and wait on the rest of my rails to show up, I've got some time to reflect on this build. I'm very pleased with how it came out. It's my third major ship kit and fourth overall. I can really see some skills improvement vs. my first major build wich was a Maly Modelarz HMS Rodney. I can't wait to start my next kit, but after a much deserved break. I may move up to a more complex kit. I have a Model Card USS Indianapolis that looks like a good challenge.

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Eib!:grin:

Really a superb job of it, if I do say so, and I do!

I'd say you made a superb model out of a rather difficult subject, and thank you for entertaining us with your narratives and photos along the way.

I also look forward to seeing the final touches added to this build and, as well, your next project.

Cheers!
Jim

Vittorio Veneto

Ebi:

Thanks for sharing your photos. I think you did an excellent job on the model. The model seems to be very cleanly and neatly built. I have enjoyed watching the model being constructed.

G. Shoda

Finished!!!

Well, here it is finally.

Jim and Gregory thanks for the kind comments. I've put together some shots of the finished product. I had a couple weeks down time to get those last handrails and I come up with a good solution to my blast bag problem

For blast bags on the main barrels I used painters latex caulk, applied artistically :twisted: with a fine brush and hobby knife. The long workability before setting helped to shape them into decent looking bags. I had some good photos to go by. The caulk is then topped with a special (beige) mixed acrylic. Not bad. A good solution for already mounted guns.

I'm going to take a bit of a break before I dive back into card modeling. I've got to finish up the Tennessee (half done) and I need a breather to refocus. I'll still be lurking here though in the mean time enjoying all the good builds and especially Barry Spruance.

Thanks.