Maly Modelarz 1:300 Vittorio Veneto

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Superstructure just about complete. I've got a few small elements to add, but it's pretty much finished.

I'm not very pleased with the ring-shaped array that is just above the navigation bridge and out on the small platform to itself. I built this from scratch based on photos of the Veneto, this was not in the kit. I think it's very out of scale and out of place. Deffinitely going to rework that.

I'll be starting the main mast next as I have all the shields and handrails on the superstructure walkways and platforms now.

I just received some 16 links-per inch weathered chain from one of my favorite model train suppliers. I'll be adding this to the forcastle and the anchors which are already in place. I'll get some photos up of that soon.

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
Vittorio Veneto tower mast

Eibwarrior:

You made my Internet day with your postings. I really like seeing the progress you're making on your two BB.

You work on the tower mast doesn't look bad compared to photos of the ship in my Battleships of World War Two.

By the way, someone pointed me to an interesting Italian warship website. I downloaded 315 battleship pictures last night, including 3 detailed computer model pictures of the Vittorio Veneto class tower mast. You may be interested in seeing them.

The website address for the Vittorio Veneto class pictures is long: http://www.modelli-navali.it/MM-Italiana/arch_immag/veneto1940/veneto1940.html

I know what you were saying about the deck fittings. I've seen a picture of the Roma's forecastle. It was littered with all manner of fittings to deter all but the most avid modelling fanatics. Nowadays, I like my models easy. I pick easy models to work on before I look at the harder ones.

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
Vittorio Veneto tower mast

Eibwarrior:

You made my Internet day with your postings. I really like seeing the progress you're making on your two BB.

You work on the tower mast doesn't look bad compared to photos of the ship in my Battleships of World War Two.

By the way, someone pointed me to an interesting Italian warship website. I downloaded 315 battleship pictures last night, including 3 detailed computer model pictures of the Vittorio Veneto class tower mast. You may be interested in seeing them.

The website address for the Vittorio Veneto class pictures is long: http://www.modelli-navali.it/MM-Italiana/arch_immag/veneto1940/veneto1940.html

I know what you were saying about the deck fittings. I've seen a picture of the Roma's forecastle. It was littered with all manner of fittings to deter all but the most avid modelling fanatics. Nowadays, I like my models easy. I pick easy models to work on before I look at the harder ones.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Vv

Hi Elb

I really like the funnels on this one you've done a great job so far look forward to the next installment.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Vv

Hi Elb

I really like the funnels on this one you've done a great job so far look forward to the next installment.

barry

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
@ Gregory... Thank you very much for the link. That's a great website! I've printed out at least six photos of the superstructure and mast for reference already. Thanks as always for the high praise. I've reworked that "ring" array and it looks much better now and I've added the trunk of the main mast and it looks great. More updates soon.

@ Barry... Thanks, I thought the funnels came out well too. They needed a little retrofit but looked very good when complete. This is a fairly well designed MM model for the money. I'd recommend it for any Regia Marina fan who wants an affordable but fun and challenging build.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
@ Gregory... Thank you very much for the link. That's a great website! I've printed out at least six photos of the superstructure and mast for reference already. Thanks as always for the high praise. I've reworked that "ring" array and it looks much better now and I've added the trunk of the main mast and it looks great. More updates soon.

@ Barry... Thanks, I thought the funnels came out well too. They needed a little retrofit but looked very good when complete. This is a fairly well designed MM model for the money. I'd recommend it for any Regia Marina fan who wants an affordable but fun and challenging build.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Getting on to the armament!

Well, I've added chains to the anchors. Turned out really well. These are weathered chains in 16 link per inch form. A good fit for this 1/300 scale.

The superstructure now has the companion walkways and main mast with all rails and ladders attached. Finished here. I reworked the ring shaped array just above the navigation bridge. This looks much better. More true to scale and appearance.

I've added the secondary gun directors on both the port and starboard sides, these are the capped cylinders you see on the stilted platforms.

I've added the first step in the gun crafting, the barbettes for all the main batteries are now in place and begging for the turrets to be added. That's where I am now. Getting ready for my favorite part of the construction. More to come soon.

It's finally starting to look like a battleship!

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Getting on to the armament!

Well, I've added chains to the anchors. Turned out really well. These are weathered chains in 16 link per inch form. A good fit for this 1/300 scale.

The superstructure now has the companion walkways and main mast with all rails and ladders attached. Finished here. I reworked the ring shaped array just above the navigation bridge. This looks much better. More true to scale and appearance.

I've added the secondary gun directors on both the port and starboard sides, these are the capped cylinders you see on the stilted platforms.

I've added the first step in the gun crafting, the barbettes for all the main batteries are now in place and begging for the turrets to be added. That's where I am now. Getting ready for my favorite part of the construction. More to come soon.

It's finally starting to look like a battleship!

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Indeed it is beginning to look like a battleship, eibwarrior!:grin:

Great progress has been made, anchor chains look great and all looks very ship shape, mate. I'm looking forward to the addition of the guns!

Cheers!
Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Indeed it is beginning to look like a battleship, eibwarrior!:grin:

Great progress has been made, anchor chains look great and all looks very ship shape, mate. I'm looking forward to the addition of the guns!

Cheers!
Jim

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks Jim.

Here's the long awaited look at turret #1. These were fairly easy to assemble. I wish all turrets went together this easy.

I did something new with the barrels. I've rolled paper in the past, much to my dismay. I've bought barrels milled from brass, too expensive. This time I combined two mediums. I found some very inexpensive aluminum tubing at Hobby Lobby recently. It's used for pine box derby cars. It comes in varying diameters and it's very easy to cut and work with. I got the barrel specs for V.V. from www.navweaps.com and converted to scale. These aluminum barrels are then wrapped in thin, gray paper. I like the appearance. Not bad for the money and my poor rolling skills.

Another accent I'm contemplating is adding blast bags around the barrels at the turret face. I've got some ideas of how to do this. Thin T-shirt fabric cut to custom size and shape. Then paitned an appropriate color with either acrylic or other paint. I'm going to have to do some experimenting before I try it on the ship.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks Jim.

Here's the long awaited look at turret #1. These were fairly easy to assemble. I wish all turrets went together this easy.

I did something new with the barrels. I've rolled paper in the past, much to my dismay. I've bought barrels milled from brass, too expensive. This time I combined two mediums. I found some very inexpensive aluminum tubing at Hobby Lobby recently. It's used for pine box derby cars. It comes in varying diameters and it's very easy to cut and work with. I got the barrel specs for V.V. from www.navweaps.com and converted to scale. These aluminum barrels are then wrapped in thin, gray paper. I like the appearance. Not bad for the money and my poor rolling skills.

Another accent I'm contemplating is adding blast bags around the barrels at the turret face. I've got some ideas of how to do this. Thin T-shirt fabric cut to custom size and shape. Then paitned an appropriate color with either acrylic or other paint. I'm going to have to do some experimenting before I try it on the ship.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
barrels

looks like that worked well.

Can I suggest blast bags are easier to fit before you put the lid on the turret tissue paper and PVA works well.

regards

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks Barry. Yeah, the barrels turned out better than I expected. Very easy and inexpensive to make. About .75 cents per barrel. That beats the $8 or $9 per barrel I paid for milled brass.

The blast bags were more of an afterthought. The turret face just looks too naked where the barrel meets. That's a good point about fitting the bags up prior to turret completion. I've thought about that. It's going to make my work more difficult.

I'm going to try some different materials (test) with paint and see which looks more realistic. I've heard of the tissue paper before. Is that difficult to paint? What paint do you use?

Thanks Barry!

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hi Elb

Cut the tissue to shape in several layers cover it with pva then use a cocktail stick to mould it around the turret /gun joint (?) then I used acrylic paints. I think I slipped the bag down the barrel before appliying the glue otherwise you get it everyware and you can keep adding glue until you are happy.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
The barrel technique worked very well, from the looks of it; it has a nice thickness at the bore that is very realistic.

bazzer's blast bag trick does work very well, but it is probably easier to do as you insert the barrels rather than afterward. I have no doubt, however, that it won't much of a problem for you to add them now. Either way, the tissue (I like to use the slightly rigid type you get in gift boxes or shirt packages) is probably easier to work than fabric, and you get a finish that is weave-less, which when using fabric might come through in the end. Just a thought, by all means experiment off the model and see what works best for you.

Really looking great!

Cheers!
Jim

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks for the blast bag tips guys. That's my next item for construction. I've got plenty of that gift wrap type tissue on hand, so that'll work great. Doing these after turret construction will be tricky, but I'm motivated to do my best.:wink:

Here are my update photos of the three completed turrets. I'm very pleased with how they turned out. The blast bags will make them quite satisfactory.

After the blast bags it's on to the secondary turrets, starting with the (4) 6" which each sport three barrels. Then onto the (12) 3.5" singles which I really think give this class ship a distinction and good look.

C

cgutzmer

Those turrets did turn out pretty sweet. Gonna make something to shoot out of them? :D
Chris

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
That's a great idea Chris. A little CO2 and some small projectiles would go a long way. :roll:

Then, if I could just get it to float and make headway it would be fully functional then.