Mallet "back logged"

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The Sagaponack Montauk Railroad purchased this Baldwin 2-4-4-2 from a western logger, and used it as a light freight loco until the road was purchased by the Sag Harbor Shipbuilding & Drydock Co.. SMRR had renumbered the engine 2821, and it retained that number on the Sagaponack Montauk & Cindys Harbor. Under Shipyard ownership, the loco found less, and less work, as freights became heavier.
When the shipyard purchased the Shinnecock Hills Lumber Co., and began improving the business, they decided to transfer the 2821 back to the logging industry. She retains her number, as an SHLC loco.
The locos maintenance records didn't catch up fast enough. Due for flue replacement, she was kept in operation until one of the flues split. With her fire dumped, and her boiler cold she is being towed into the shop for retubing. 2821's "clone", SHS&D 3' gauge outside frame 2-4-4-2 is doing the towing.
The first picture is a close up of 2821.

Attachments

• shlc2821.jpg
    shlc2821.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 331

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The 2821 is a 1962 GEM brass release of the Little River Logging Co. #7. There were drawings, and photos of the prototype in Mar. 1962 MR.
In this shot, on the dual gauge line, 2821 is coupled to an idler flat with a standard gauge coupler mounted on the idler's deck.

Attachments

• mallets.jpg
    mallets.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 196

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
In reality, the 2821 IS going into the "shops". It still has the original open frame motor, so it will get a can motor, and a new universal drive linkage. It will also get modified to use a DCC decoder.
Pete

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
That's a sweet looking machine, ete!
And those are some really nice settings for her to pose in!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Pete, love those loco's, geewizz, I shall just have to get me one of those for my logging layout.
Shamus
wink.gif

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Thanks all, for the comments.
t., the tall building is DPM pieces. The building behind the 2821, is the "Gruesom Casket Co.", with a little modification. I did the DPM structure to "match".
Val, and Gary, The rock work is hand carved plaster, colored with "dirty" diosol, diosol that was used to clean out the airbrush. It works well, but the room needs to be ventilated for quite some time after the rocks are colored.
Shamus, There was a version of this loco distributed by "Olympia" (?). It was a cast boiler, on a brass frame, and was a lot less expensive than the brass. I don't believe they are currently available.
Pete

Really nice, Pete! Excellent modeling and photography all around!

(BTW: I can sympathize with your comments about airing out the room after using Diosol. A few nights ago, I mixed a "stain" of Floquil CN Gray and Diosol. I seldom use the stuff and had forgotten how strong the fumes are. Whew! Even my wife, who was in another part of the house, complained about the odor. :eek: )

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Bit of downtime on 2821? It's not gunna result in a loco shortage to maintain daily scheduled operations???

Woodie,
There's two, three truck shays, and a 2-6-6-2t, to carry the load.
All the steam maintenance is done by the shipyard's boiler shop, machine shop, and foundry. The turnaround is usually quick. :)
Pete