Malik Drako's 40k Death Scythe Test Build

ARMORMAN

FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE
OK…showing my slowness for test building (all apologies to Malik Drako), I finally finished the test build of Malik Drako's Necron Death Scythe (OK, I still have to paint it….).

First off, let me apologize for the scarceness of build pics. I had shot and stored a bunch of pics on my phone, but when I allowed a OS upgrade (NEVER again!), it wiped the pics. So what I have from the test build are what I happened to send Malik (except for the assembled model).

So, what are my feelings? This is a great model, detailed and accurate to the plastic kit; but if you hate rolling cylinders, it will drive you batty. You have guns and barrels, upper and lower spine parts that have to be cut, rolled to exact size, and in some cases, cut again to take out "notches." I personally had a lot of problems with the tesla destuctors until Malik sent me some cg screen grabs explaining it (I'm emailing him an instruction diagram for his model). I also re-rolled and replaced the cylinders in the upper holes by the cockpit at the end as I had done a poor job originally and misunderstood the rolling instructions for the part. I have suggested to MD that he provide a cross section diagram for all the rolled parts so the builder can use it as a guide by placing the cylinder next to or over it to help in judging their success in rolling the parts.

It is a fairly sturdy model, with only the gun assemblies and transporter being a bit fragile due to the detailing.

This is a layered kit and takes a few cereal boxes to complete. From the few pics you see, you can see a scratch built cockpit and pilot. These were not part of the kit and I abandoned it as it was an addition and I was supposed to be doing a test build. The only other add on I did was the intake framing and vents, though I may add a few half beads I have laying around for the lenses on the nose.

Hope you like it.

Attachments

• engines.jpg
    engines.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 9
  • enginesbk.jpg
    enginesbk.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 10
  • cockpit scratch.jpg
    cockpit scratch.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 10
  • cockpit sealed ft.jpg
    cockpit sealed ft.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 11
  • cockpit sealed.jpg
    cockpit sealed.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 11
  • top panelling.jpg
    top panelling.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 10
  • bottom vents.jpg
    bottom vents.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 10
  • bottomnoguns.jpg
    bottomnoguns.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 10
  • bottomnopaint.jpg
    bottomnopaint.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 10
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 11

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Even though, I know absolutely nothing about WarHammer, I do like it indeed!!!
You are doing a FANTASTIC JOB on this project!

ARMORMAN

FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE
Well, I was hoping to get further than this, then I found out some of the paint I was intending to use dried out....Tamiya Transparent orange over the chrome paint...

>edit< well, this is weird....the server says a 110 and 130K file is too big for it...I'll try again later...

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Follow the "Ste News" to keep up with the current situation. You can use a picture hosting service for the time being till we get this sorted out.

The paint looks like it's on too thick, it seems to have robbed some detail, but it's hard to tell from pictures. There's always the chance of bad chemical interactions when layering one paint onto a base paint. I guess you have to stay within same brands, though Chrome Paint is inherently hard to have something "etch" into. There are chemical Preps for that in the automotive world, I don't know about anything for paper. I've seen this happen with real cars (the cracking). It sucks, how will you remedy it? That could be a tutorial in itself, especially with a real hand fabricated model such as this one. Something that would be nice to see more of. :)