Making Wood Decking in Photoshop

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Gil, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi All,

A little something for the ship builders. It's the ability to fill an area with realistic wood planking. I'm still working some of the kinks out but it's actually fun to make the pattern once one understands what the offset filter is all about in photoshop (it's the secret behind creating edgeless fill patterns). The following is a test pattern filling a simple deck area. An 8 inch wide plank is around .03" at 1:192 which is the approximate scale. The plank length is also conjured up...,

- Gil
  2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi All,

A little something for the ship builders. It's the ability to fill an area with realistic wood planking. I'm still working some of the kinks out but it's actually fun to make the pattern once one understands what the offset filter is all about in photoshop (it's the secret behind creating edgeless fill patterns). The following is a test pattern filling a simple deck area. An 8 inch wide plank is around .03" at 1:192 which is the approximate scale. The plank length is also conjured up...,

- Gil
  3. cygielski

cygielski Member

Now you'll have some fun putting in the margin planks. ;)
  4. cygielski

cygielski Member

Now you'll have some fun putting in the margin planks. ;)
  5. bholderman

bholderman Member

Gil,

I appreciate the effort. I was thinking about this when recolouring the Ting Yuen. Since I haven't printed my recolor yet, do you mind if I give this a try?

Cheers,
    Brad
  6. bholderman

bholderman Member

Gil,

I appreciate the effort. I was thinking about this when recolouring the Ting Yuen. Since I haven't printed my recolor yet, do you mind if I give this a try?

Cheers,
    Brad
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Brad,

Great, give it a try..., I'm planning to write a tutorial on how it's done.

- Gil
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Brad,

Great, give it a try..., I'm planning to write a tutorial on how it's done.

- Gil
  9. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member

That's pretty cool. Would it be practical to score the lines to give the illusion of individual planks, or is the scale too small for that?
  10. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member

That's pretty cool. Would it be practical to score the lines to give the illusion of individual planks, or is the scale too small for that?
  11. Gil

Gil Active Member

Actually there is a little line shading in the original pattern. Detailing was kept to a minimum as you already guessed, it disappears when reduced.

-Gil
  12. Gil

Gil Active Member

Actually there is a little line shading in the original pattern. Detailing was kept to a minimum as you already guessed, it disappears when reduced.

-Gil
  13. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member

What I was getting at was using a scoring tool between the planks in order to simulate individual boards and make it truly 3d. They would have to be really tiny "scores" <-(proper term?) though; perhaps scored with a blunt needle.
  14. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member

What I was getting at was using a scoring tool between the planks in order to simulate individual boards and make it truly 3d. They would have to be really tiny "scores" <-(proper term?) though; perhaps scored with a blunt needle.
  15. Gil

Gil Active Member

It does depend on scale and more so on the skill of the modeler..., at most ship modeling scales scoring would actually look out of place. My guess is that scoring would begin to have a positive visual effect somewhere around 1:48 to 1:32. It really depends on how fine the scoring line can be made. At 1: 48 a 5 mm joint would require a score line with a width of around 0.1 mm (~0.004")...,

-Gil
  16. Gil

Gil Active Member

It does depend on scale and more so on the skill of the modeler..., at most ship modeling scales scoring would actually look out of place. My guess is that scoring would begin to have a positive visual effect somewhere around 1:48 to 1:32. It really depends on how fine the scoring line can be made. At 1: 48 a 5 mm joint would require a score line with a width of around 0.1 mm (~0.004")...,

-Gil
  17. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member

Yea, that's pretty small. Almost like a knife cut, and I'd imagine nearly invisible to all but the modeler himself.

This makes me want to build a ship. So many models and so little time :)
  18. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member

Yea, that's pretty small. Almost like a knife cut, and I'd imagine nearly invisible to all but the modeler himself.

This makes me want to build a ship. So many models and so little time :)
  19. Gil

Gil Active Member

Simon,

Nibbler boards need to be hand done. Hatch & Knee boards can be done by a judicious choice of pens followed by wood color fill.

- Gil
  20. Gil

Gil Active Member

Simon,

Nibbler boards need to be hand done. Hatch & Knee boards can be done by a judicious choice of pens followed by wood color fill.

- Gil