Making waves on a lake

anoldrail

I am in the process of putting a lake on my layout. My question is how to make small waves on the lake. I plan on using a plastic casting resin for the water, but I'm stumped on how to make the waves. Any and all replies will be most appreciated

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
woodland scenics has a water efects gel/paste that goes on cler but dries white and hard to make small waves on the surface of the resin.hope this helps.--josh

I poured out a layer of clear acryllic gloss into my lake bed. Weeks later, I poured a second coat over it and the first coat softened, lifted and crackled in a smooth way. I may have lucked out, but the result looks like waves.

aer.sized.jpg

aer.jpg

aer.sized.jpg

doctorwayne

This scene was done using patching plaster, painted with latex interior house paint, then covered with water-based gloss urethane.
100_5818.jpg

Another view:
210620061061.jpg

Wayne

spitfire

Wayne, I was wondering how you did your waves. This sounds like a great method!! I've often thought there must be an alternative method to pouring various resin compounds, especially with deeper water, or in cases where you can't see the bottom. I am definitely going to try this for my harbour scene. Thanks!!!

Val

doctorwayne

Val, I used a product called Durabond 90, from Canada Gypsum. It sets in about 90 minutes, regardless of how thick or thin you mix it. Other setting times are also available. When fully cured, it is extemely hard, which helps to kept things from falling apart when I'm "dusting".:D
Here's a link to the original thread:

Finally, the 'Pictures at 11:00'...

Wayne

doctorwayne

Val, it's been a while since I've viewed the thread in the link. I just now went back through it, and there's a brief outline of the technique used to make the "water": it's in Post #11, farther down on the first page. (I do hafta admit, it was kinda enjoyable for me reading through the reactions once again, too. ;) )

Wayne

anoldrail

Wayne
I just review the pics of your water effects, and they are absolutely great. And I love the simplicity of your technique. Saves a lot of time messing arround with the WS water effects, etc. The waves are exactlly what I am looking for on my lake. I am going try this on a test piece of ply and see what I can do. Many many thanks for sharing this with us. Hopefully I'll have something in a week or two. Not sure where I'll get the same plaster you used, but I'll look around, got to be someplace around the Twin Cities that sell something like that. Again Many thanks for sharing.

doctorwayne

I'm pretty sure that U.S. Gypsum sells a similar product. It's meant for patching holes and large gouges in drywall and plaster. It's no good for taping or screwheads, though, because it's difficult to sand when cured. The Durabond sold here has various numbers after the name: Durabond 60 sets in 60 minutes, and so on. The hardness is particularily important for doing "water" with waves, as it's less likely that the high points will be accidently knocked off. Here, it's sold in one and five pound boxes, or in 33 pound bags. About $20.00 for the bag the last time I bought some. Btw, I used the same stuff to make the bridge piers and abutments, using simple styrene moulds. :thumb:

Wayne

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Ralph - that is a great effect. Whatever that plant is putting out - I don't want to swim there...! ;)

Wayne - that's a really good look you got with the waves. How high do they scale out? Looks like a storm is brewing...

Andrew

doctorwayne

Thanks, Andrew. The biggest wave there is just over a foot high. Because Lake Erie is the shallowest of the Great Lakes, it doesn't take too much to whip up some whitecaps, and the shoreline here is quite shallow, as you can see in the overhead view, accounting for the small breakers.

Wayne