making track grades

http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=23009

Thats my track plan, but i've come to a bit of a prolem (i havent started yet either)

Basically, i want a figure 8, but the crossing is a bridge, not a flat crossing

what should i use to make the track rise thats cheap and easy to do if you dont have that many power tools? also, my Hobby Shop isnt the best stocked place in the world too

thanks
Alex

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi Alex,
Check out Woodland Scenics' foam pier set. It seems to be pretty easy to set up and you don't have to fuzz with figuring out how much goes where. If your local hobby shop doesn't have it, check out the online vendors.

There's a good thread that shows how this is used. Check out the "Don't Laugh Too Hard" thread.

Good luck!!!:thumb:

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Alex: Go to http://ho.tauxe.net and you will see some Woodland Scenics grade sections. They are ready made sections that can be curved to whatever radius you need. If you can get the pink or blue insulation foam in Australia, that is another option. Also there is the old wood block and plywood sub roadbed route.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Doc Holliday said:
Although you can easily cut foam for the flat level risers, do yourself a favor and use the WS inclines for your grades. You'll be glad you did. I sure was.
Doc

That sounds like a pretty possitive endorsement for WS foam grades. I'm convinced! Need to get a few when it comes time for my track laying.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Cutting foam at a 1%-4% grade isn't that tough, especially if you are using the pink or blue stuff. It is a bit harder if all you can find is th ewhite beated stuff, although using a hot wire knife helps. The problem cutting your own is the very start of the incline where the thickess is less than about a 1/4". At 2%, you have to transition from nothing to 1/4" over 12.5". That's some pretty carefull cutting! If I had it to do over again, I might try stoping the incline at between 1/2"-1/4" in height and then using a piece of thin cardboard or stryene to transition down to nothing.

Post some pics of how you do.
Doc

Aug 28, 2005
Northwest Indiana
Doc, Some time ago while building some grades on my layout I needed to go from about 5/16 down to zero - I used construction shim shingles that we used to shim store fronts in place prior to anchoring them, when I was working ( retired now ). Usually about 12" long, 4" to 6" wide, 5/16 at one end to 1/32 thin at the other. Feathered with sandpaper to zero and Wha-Lah ! Worked perfect ! Joe