Making the SR-71 (Flymodel)

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Mindaugas, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hi,

Yep, Sure I'm going to show that. I don't know if I get such perfect result as Donatas, but I will try. I heard, that there's a method (only suitable for dark models), when you paint edges with pencil and then you fill seams with white glue. After spraying varnish on finished model, those seams become of the same colour as model is. But, Donatas has offered some kind of different method, and I'm going to call him and consult.

And how's winter in your country? Today we had -25C (-13F) and we're expecting to have at weekend over -30C (-22F). Its like in Syberia (offcourse, guys there have -50C :D. Currently in Moscow, there's -40C). The lowest temperature we had here was -43C (-46F). All area around your nose and mouth gets frosty.. Brrr...

Thats all. Good luck! ;)
    --
  2. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Outstanding Job Mindaugas. I hope that some day I achieve your level of expertise.
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Not sure if you will believe me........... but yesterday, and this is kinda typical now a days............. it was 29°F in the morning and 59°F that afternoon.

Makes it hard to figure out what to wear, and a 30° change in one day will mess with your body. But.......... That's what I like about the South!:grin:

john
  4. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Mindaugas

Looking forward to learning how your friend blends the seams. I had thought at one time white glue would work well if colored similar to that of the nearby model's parts.

As for you winter...reminds me of my days living above the Arctic Circle. Here in Central Oregon, the best part of the Pacific Northwest, we are running between 3 and -4.5 Celsius, with no snow for now. I do miss being in cold such as you experience...but am also glad I don't have to experience any more. 8v)
  5. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Ash,
    Could you send send some of that rain our way. John, I know what you mean about the weather. I wore a heavy coat this morning and will carry it when I go home.
  6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Glad I'm not in Moscow right now; -30 celcius! Brr...

Chilly Dumbcluck
  7. rickstef

rickstef Guest

8. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hallo,

Hello. Thank you all for comments. Area around my face looks the same like in that picture, where Rick gave a link to. I'm having problems with starting engine. Oil filter somehow strangely twisted.. Thanks God, that battery is new, so it works well.

Now lets get back to my SR-71. Btw. not today, but soon I will talk about that seam blending procedure.

Here is a real mess. Laminated parts (some allready connected) and a bunch of formers:

[​IMG]

Here I sand near-by formers, to make them identical. It is made in order to get good seams - without any mismatches.

[​IMG]

Oh no.. Former is a little bit too small... :( I've even laminated the skin part, but still former is too small (that lamination has shrunk the inner diameter of the round skin part).

[​IMG]
  9. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

So. Solution: I cut out a small stripe of whatman:

[​IMG]

Then I glue that stripe inside the round skin part in order to shrink that inner diameter even more.

[​IMG]

And now former fits ideally into that skin part:

[​IMG]

After the glue has dried, I lightly sand this area. In order to get better grip and fit between those sections.

[​IMG]
  10. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Argh.. I am a drummer (bum, bum..):

[​IMG]

Do you know the difference between superbike and chopper? My horse knows the answer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok. Now I need to thicken the edges of exaust tubes a little bit. So I make some additional stripes using the exaust tube part as a template.

[​IMG]
  11. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Then I've applied those stripes. 3 stripes + lamination. Now it looks a little bit more realistic.

[​IMG]

Then I form round shape, when glue is still wet. And when glue dries it becomes very tight. This might be a good way to use such technique when making the interior of bombers. There're very thin formers. So you can use a sandwich of stripes with some reinforcing wires (wires are good for keeping shape). But in this situation I prefer plywood or aluminium. They are strong enough and it easy to work with them. Card is not suitable in those bomber interiors.

[​IMG]

Then I trim those edges. Some sanding, some cutting... ("Tatra" blades are great!!!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

For edge colouring I use enamels, but I don't want to wait several days just because of some edges. So for quick edge colouring I use CD-DVD marker. Offcourse for large areas I use enamels.. ;)

[​IMG]

Then I apply diluted glue on those edges to make them round.

[​IMG]

So this is yesterday's work. I finished those tubes.

[​IMG]
  13. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

I was also planning to finish this, but I didn't even manage to start work on them...

[​IMG]

Thats all. Good luck! ;)
    --
  14. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello,

This is how our streets look like. It is very icy. And our temperatures are still breaking records.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all. Good luck! ;)
  15. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Well, all the potholes in the street remind me of the streets around here, but we hardly ever seem to get any real ice, and it usually doesn't last a day. I miss having ice and snow...
  16. modelincard

modelincard Member

Up here, we're breaking records for highs. It's almost spring-like.

I wish it would get cold and snow. Then we might have a snow day!:twisted:
  17. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello,

Thank you for the comments!

Today, I've worked a little bit with my SR-71. Not much I did, but..

I finished that tip of tail and I've painted the interior of exaust tubes

[​IMG]

Here you can see the edge of tube in macro mode. As I said before, it was rounded and now I've just painted it.

[​IMG]

Here's a poor scorpion and his problem

[​IMG]
  18. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

And this is another thing I did today, I flew a little bit with my beloved B-24J Liberator. A photo taken in Uzbekistan - near Aral Sea.

[​IMG]

Cockpit in detail. Note that Archaic C1 autopilot system in the center. But I don't use it. As well as I don't use GPS, in-built map, that shows position and other modern stuff. It is amazing, when you're low on fuel in the middle of the desert - you try to calculate your aproximate position, try to take higher altitude to catch the ADF signal and navigate to home...

[​IMG]

Thats all. Good luck! ;)
    --
  19. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Mindaugas

Is that B-24 a representation of "Dragon and It's Tail"?

I like your sense of humor. Poor scorpion.
  20. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello Ashrunner,

Thanks for comments! ;)

That B-24J is from 43rd Bomb Group and it is called "Cocktail Hour"

[​IMG]

More about this squadron here: http://www.web-birds.com/5th/43/43.htm

B-24 (Especially "D") and Lancaster are the most beautiful WWII bombers for me. I will try to get their models (both from Flymodel).

Ah. These Americans.. They can paint anything on their planes. There were no such allowance in USSR... Except catchwords like "For the motherland" or "For the Stalin" or "Death for Fascists. And the pictures of hammer and sickle in the rye bouquet (you know why? :)).

By the way, "Dragon and It's Tail" was from the same squadron. http://www.web-birds.com/5th/43/43rd-06.jpg

Thats all. Good luck! ;)
    --