Making the SR-71 (Flymodel)

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Mindaugas, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Hi, Mindaugas! :D

I agree with Rob, based on what they reveal in the plans (which is not too much) you are doing an excellent job...and leading us through an exceptional build!

I love the step-by-step approach, gives us the benefit of learning even more from your build.

Keep it up, my friend! :D

Cheers!

Jim
  2. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello Friends,

Here is a new update after rather long break. I have worked slowly, but surely. Work is extremely hard, when you need to skin that skeleton. I know some guys using "non-sport technology" (we call it like that in Lithuanian), when the skeleton is filled with foam (I don't know, what kind of foam it is, but it is used to fill gaps in the buildings), then that foam is sanded, puttied, once again sanded and then the fuselage is painted or skinned with skin-parts. Most of ship buiders use this technique (most of them even don't use those hull parts). Well, there's a must to use skin-parts as it is aircraft, not a ship.
    But I will finish this plane as it is. I'm a bit cautious about that technology, since I've never used it.

If I put some macro photos of those seams, you might die from scare.. But the general view is not so bad.

Offcourse, I will try making such kind planes in future in order to get best results, but I would like to do that without using "non-sport tecnology"... I don't know if I could master it well. But when I will finish this plane, I will make a little holiday by building a traditional "ribbed" aircraft... :D

So I've fully finished wing-engine skeletons and I have sanded them a bit with my sanding disc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some night photos of cockpit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I've completed the skinning of frontal part. My hair prance, when I imagine, how I will have to skin that central and back part.... :? :| :| :|

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So thats all. Good luck! ;)

To be continued...
    --
  3. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Mindaugas ,
    Awsome job!!!!!! Can not wait to see this finished.
  4. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

It's nice to hear from you again Mindaugas. You have done a very nice job of skinning the fuselage so far as I can see. I can't wait to see the big finished bird either.
  5. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello Friends,

Thank you guys for beautiful words. I am really thankful for you.

So now I'm going a bit on holiday to countryside to my grandparents. I don't know well, when I'm going to come back, but as soon as I get home I will write you.
    I'm going to make models at countryside, but this SR-71 is too big to transport, so I'm going to make there a bit smaller one. I will show photos, when I will return.

--
  6. Sniegoo

Sniegoo New Member

what's goinn on with this plane? is project alive?
  7. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hallo!

MY PROJECT IS ALIVE! :)

Lets get into it and fly at speed of 3rd Mach. There's no faster plane!! Even it has recently celebrated its 40th anniversary

....Offcourse I don't count X-15, X-43, Buran, Shuttle, various rockets, and the most amazing thing for me - the most distant from earth and the fastest flying machine in the human history - "Pioneer 10"

It is a first spaceship, launched in 1972, which aim is to leave the solar system. It has a special plaque, in case it meets a life somewhere in other side of universe:

[​IMG]

Those rays, comming from one dot show 14 pulsars; pulsar emission frequency is compared to the hydrogen atom (at top) and are coded in binary system (universal system) Pulsar frequency, during time, reduces and this should help to determine, when the spaceship was launhed. Also there's a position of Earth and Sun, as well as "Pioneer" route. On the right, there's a figure of man and woman in normal scale.

This spacecraft photographed Jupiter, crossed the main asteroid belt, that separates inner solar system planets from outer solar system planets. This ship hasn't yet crossed the border of solar system (Oort cloud and Heliopause - these objects are marking the border of solar system).

But now I'm not sure who recently found 10th solar system planet? I don't think, that it was this spaceship, because planet was discovered recently. And, as I know, the last signal from "Pioneer 10" was received in year 2003. It is believed that its battery is out of order - or just rotten.

And more.
    Do you know from physics about space speeds? So if you want to leave solar system, you must reach third space speed of 16 km/s (it is enormous speed 8o). As well, when you want to leave Earth, you must reach first space speed (8km/s). By the way, I didn't mention second space speed - ~11km/s. It is needed to leave Earth's orbit and to become Sun's satellite.
    These speeds increase by [radical of 2] times from the previous speed. This speed is used to leave elipse shape obit. When you reach such speed, elipse trajectory just slips away and you fly into the universe :). In other case, you just fly in that elipse orbit (why do you think, satellites need so little fuel? Just to fix small drifts)

And.. "Pioneer 10"

[​IMG]
    --
  8. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Ok, ok, ok........ Lets finish offtopics. I am returning to my SR-71.

Today, when I returned from school, I sat and looked at this aircraft and thought, how I want to build it. Result - more that 6 hours of work today :twisted:

Today's main task - skin parts of engines.

Firstly I cut out all engine skin parts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I have attached joining strips to framework of engines:

[​IMG]
  9. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Anyway, parts are really big, so I had to double them on whatman. I need more stiffness. So in rather jejune way, I have outlined all parts on white whatman sheet. Then I've "shrunk" them a lil' bi't. For some reasons.. I need thin areas to glue parts to card formers, plane, etc.

[​IMG]

Copied parts:

[​IMG]

Then I cut out everything (that A3 sheet looks weird ):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

All parts doubled (laminated). In comparison - my cell phone. See, how large parts are. And how engine, itself is big?

[​IMG]

Wingtips. I've compressed flat areas, in order they don't get twisted, when glue dries. Our lithuanian masterpiecies of talented writers - Vaizgantas "Pragiedruliai" :p

[​IMG]

And.. in comparison with my old, weathered Hurricane. It is two times smaller in scale (1/72) plus it is several times smaller in reality. Oh God...

[​IMG]

Thats all. Good luck!
    --
  11. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Guys, why I can't insert in a post more than 4 photos? :oops:

Do smilies and images (via [​IMG]) count in?

I want to express my emotions by smilies and I also put many photos about my models. Those photos are really small (since I use thumbnail code), so I won't flood at all...

Please, can you raise my limit of photos, so it will be much more comfortable to read my posts for others (and to write them for myself).

Thats all.
    :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    --

P.S. Oh. It's a new page in my SR-71 topic. Go back and you'll see the newest update!
  12. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello,

Hey guys, have you read my upper post? I would like to get larger limit for posting photos, if it is possible

Hallo,

Thank you for all comments and kind words! I really appreaciate that! ;)

So lets continue

I've painted the joining strips and edges in black:

[​IMG]

Next, I had a little problem. Wing area is rather large, while there are not many formers. Even the wing was laminated on whatman, there was a risk, that it can sag. So, I thought what I could do.
    My friend Donatas used to make wing 1) with full wing frame of cork, or 2) he put cork between frames, and then sand it to shape. Because I don't have the ability to visit airplane junkyard, as he has :D, and I have very little of cork, so I decided to use card. Fortunately, the height is not large, so I just needed two plates of card. So I attached card plates:

[​IMG]
  13. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

And then, I've sanded it with my mini electric grinder. Now it is going to be very comfortable, because the whole wing area will be glued to the frame. A sandwich! No sags! :p

[​IMG]

This techique I am going to use for fuselage. There are also many flat areas. But, there I'm going to need much more card, since frames are higher. So I decided to use just one plate of card attached between formers on the top. Under that plate, there will be empty space. Card plate will be hanging in air. Did you understand what I meaned? If not, so wait a week or two and you will see it, when it comes to doing fuselage :D
    So then I will be able to glue skin parts very easily and without sags.

This "non-sport" technique is good for flat areas. Since for round areas (like round engine areas) will definately need cork. You won't build a stairs of 15 sheets of card, will you? :D
  14. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Then I attached first skin parts:

[​IMG]

And I've trimmed some paper also. Not very good fit, indeed... ;(

[​IMG]

Thats all. Good luck! ;)
    --
  15. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello,

So this evening I spent some time at my SR-71.

I've attached several skin parts. But there's a little problem, which I probably won't fix, since all skin parts for engines-wings are already made... As I said before, I have doubled skin parts not on the whole area. Edges were left, in order to use them for glueing on card. But... these thin edges get soft when I apply glue and they sag a bit, when attached to card. I try not to press much, but anyway they sag a little.. Well, I will do my best.
    And I was afraid to double all area, because there might be problems: parts will be too small for formers, seams might be bad, etc. But next time I will try to laminate full area. I will sand formers a bit, because when skin part is fully laminated (doubled) it gets too small for current former. But there will be much work. I will try, and I will elect the best result. I think I will try this on SR-71 fuselage.

[​IMG]

There are card strips, that connect fuselage to engine-wing. Well, the model design at these places was a bit weak, so I had to make many decisions myself. Also some german guy said, that it is going to be nightmare with intakes. And yes, when I watch my intakes, I feel incoming nightmare.. :(
    To sum up - model is great, but design is average..

[​IMG]
  16. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

You know, I didn't find with what to compare my model, so I made a photo beside my bike. You see its size?! :D

[​IMG]

Other problem, parts are not quite precise, and there's a need for much trimming. I don't like this :(

[​IMG]

Thats all. Good luck!
    --
  17. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Mindauges,
    This is looking fantastic. I had no idea that it was that large. Keep up the good work.
  18. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yeah That is looking very good! I too am surprised at the size.

How are you going to power the LEDs, with an external battery or one place under a removeable panel?

john
  19. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Sveiki draugai, (in english - "Hi friends")

Bowdenja and dwgannon. Thank you for your comments and praise. I really appreciate this. I am very happy, that I don't do monologue over here ;)

A small update. No photos, just some comments. Today I've worked with skinning. Again..
    There are some problems with seams, offcourse... and wing flat areas did not become ideally flat, after being attached, because the sanding job of the card wasn't perfect. But this is not very visible.. If you give your plane super gloss, so then all bugs will come out :twisted:
    Also I will try a method of filling seams. My friend Donatas has mastered it perfectly. Have you seen his Mig-23, that I've posted? Seams are perfect!

But before doing anything, I have to confer with him about this matter, and I will try adapting that technique on seams, that are not much visible (that are underneath the fuselage). If result is good, I will apply it to all seams, that need this.

Furthermore, I've began working on exaust tubes and tail tip. Parts were cut out, laminated and frame parts were glued on card.
    I think that tomorrow or on Friday I will show some photos.

--

B.t.w. Imageshack was down a little bit, and all photos of that MIG-23 were gone. So I will attach one, to see those seams.
    [​IMG]
  20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK............you got my attention!

You WILL definately have to describe that process IN DETAIL!! That is amazing! No seams showing at all.

john