Making the SR-71 (Flymodel)

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Mindaugas, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hallo,

And now the panels.

Firstly I have painted the wires, that will be used as swithces.

[​IMG]

Then I made the panels. They will be fixed a bit in the future. Also you can see the switches attached. I have cut them out and attached to the panel. Also I've painted the places of the swithces, where the paint gone-off...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So thats all. Good luck!

--
  2. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello,

I don't like my work at all! :x

I think, that morning is smarter than evening :)
    So today I have fixed the majority of problems and I have also added nail varnish, to make instrument glasses. I have used mother's clear nail varnish :) I hope she won't be upset on me...

So the benefit I get from such forums, is that I want to make my models better and better, when I see the works of the masters.

So I had to remove the panel from the plane.. and then I modified it. Everything can be seen in the photos.

As I made all photos in macro mode, so all circumstances are clearly seen. As in live, you won't see any of these bugs :) Also it is very hard to make everyhing neatly, because the diameter of small rings' holes are less than 1mm..

Nail varnish..

[​IMG]

In detail:

[​IMG]

Main view..

[​IMG]

That's all. Good luck!

--
  3. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello friends!

Today I hadn't many lessons, so I had more time on modelling. So today I began the scratchbuilding of the cockpit. All parts were made from real photos. Offcourse, I cannot make everything, because the cockpit of SR-71 is jam-packed and many parts are very small.

I think, that it will be enough only to make the largests items.

So let's begin.

Unknow box at the right of RSO. I don't know why this box is used for, but it is quite big, so I decided to build it. Also I will put here a photo of real box, for you to know, about what I am talking now :)

So firstly I made a white box, and then I painted it.

[​IMG]

And here it is assembled and attached to the cockpit. Also I put a wire, which means some kind of pipe.

[​IMG]

And this is a real photo of this unkown box :)

[​IMG]

--
  4. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

And now the RSO monitor. In the original part, it was just painted, but I decided to make it separately. Also you can see a photo of real monitor in SR-71..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is a real photo:

[​IMG]

--
  5. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Here you can see a modified RSO panel. I have added some kind of box with one switch and one button, that I found in the photo of real SR-71..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--
  6. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

And now the work with some kind of cylinders, that are located at the sides of the pilot and RSO :)

Firstly I have rolled the cylinder and painted it. Then I put a drop of the glue to one of its end, to make that end round and protruted.

[​IMG]

Then I have painted that end. Everything was done according to the real photo... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The main view. As I have bought that "third hand", I cannot live anymore without it.... :roll: :roll: :wink: 8)

[​IMG]

This is a photo of real cockpit. In red you can see those unknown cylinders. In blue, you can see a yoke, about which we will talk later. And in the green you can see engine controls, which will be seen later in the main view.

[​IMG]

--
  7. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

And now the yoke. First of all I cut it out from the wire, then I painted it and attached a small rim. Then I put some glue to the end of the yoke in order to thicknen it.

[​IMG]

Then I have painted all these parts. Also I've put a red dot to the end of yoke, to imitate the button :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see a photo of real yoke in the post about cylinders..

--
  8. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

The main view of the cockpit.

Many items are not glued, I've just put them to see the main view. Also you can see engine cotrols, which were made according to the real photo of SR-71. You can see that photo in the post about unknown cylinders.
    I have attached these cylinders with wires, that imitate pipes. Everything was made according to the real photo... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tommorow I will continue my work with the detailing of the cockpit. Many things haven't been yet made.. :)

Thats all. Good luck to all of you! ;)

--
  9. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello,

Joke: Where, do you think, the boast of Germany - M. Shumacher was working before his career in F1 ? :D ;)

[​IMG]

That's all. Good luck ;)

--
  10. mikew

mikew Member

I'm pretty sure that those are adjustable cockpit lights. The black cylinder is the control unit, with the red knob on the end the brightness adjustment. The silver tube is simply an adjustable "gooseneck" for positioning the hooded light at the end. It's photographed position, pointing into the corner there, is to keep it out of the way when not in use.

Mike Williamson
  11. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello Friends!

Thank you for beautiful words, suggestions and appreciation once again.

So I am finishing a scratchbuilding of the cockpit. Here are some prepared parts, that I made according to the real photos.

[​IMG]

These are the RSO's notes .... :roll:

[​IMG]

This is a group of swithces. They have been made from the wire, that I have acquired from the cords for computer networks. After gluing them to the base I have painted them in stell enamel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There you can see a group of swithces and red alarm lamps..

[​IMG]

This is half-finished RSO's left panel

[​IMG]

Finishing works: I am painting some white edges...

[​IMG]

--
  12. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello!

Now I am putting several photos of the finished cockpit. Some edges haven't been yet painted, but I will deal with them, when I will be building sides, canopy and so on... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all with the cockpit...

--
  13. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello!

Now I continue the work with the frames. I have attached the back part of the main frame.

I have made just a third part of all reinforcements, but the plane is extremely tight. It don't bend and twist. You can take it by its tail and it will be straight like arrow, despite the fact, that I have put some weight into the nose...
    At the moment plane weights about 300g and I think that the weight of the finished one will be about 800-1000g... :roll: :roll:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fat bear with tiny plane.... :roll:

[​IMG]

Thats all. I wish all of you good luck! :wink:

--
  14. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello Friends,

Today I have worked a little bit with my SR-71. I have attached the front landing gear "leg". Yes yes, I know, that these works must be done when the whole model is finished, but I had to do it now, because I need these landing gears to hold a weight of 1kg... :roll: :roll:

So I begin with the work on wires.
    I have attached the crossbar in order to attach that front landing gear to the plane's skeleton.
    So in these conditions I had to solder a bit :)
    First of all I've straightened the thick copper wire..

[​IMG]

I cut out the needed lenght of the wire and then I removed all oxides with the knife.

[​IMG]

Then I took the hot soldering-iron, put it into the galipot and then took some solder with it...

[​IMG]

Then I put the wire into the galipot and put on it the hot soldering-iron with solder, and then I pull out quickly the wire... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

This is the result. Thanks to Ron for this advice on how to tint the wire with the solder. Not all wires can be tinted this way. The solder just doesn't stick to the wire.. :cry: :) For example: high temperature aluminium wire cannot be tinted... :roll:

So the wires are now covered with a thin layer of solder... :)

[​IMG]

--
  15. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello,

I have made the same procedure with the crossbar.. Then I have soldered the "leg" together with the crossbar. While both wires are tinted with solder, it was very easy to solder them together... :roll: :roll:

[​IMG]

Then I cut out those wire frames..

[​IMG]

And then I have attached all those "legs" to the plane. As I have mentioned in my earlier posts, I have made a position for this attachment in the skeleton. Also I have put two small parts of card from the sides in order to tighten the front landing gear "leg".

[​IMG]

Then I have attached the cord connected to the resistors.
    The front landing gear "leg" will be a conductor for the diode, that iluminates the landing lights... :)

[​IMG]

Finally I have made a stand, for storing and working with the plane. I had to make it in order not to damage or break the wire "leg".
    Offcourse it won't be comfortable to work with the wires sticking out, but I had no other way... :roll: :roll:

[​IMG]

Thats all. Good luck for all of you!
    To be continued...
    --
  16. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello Friends,

Today I have worked a bit with the skinning and landing gear well. The main theme of this post is front landing gear well. So without much talk, lets get down to the bussiness.

Here I made the main well. As I have mentioned previously, I have scanned the white original part, then painted it using Adobe Photoshop and lastly printed it.

[​IMG]

As I made a special area in the skeleton for the tyre, I had to cut out the hole (the big one) on the landing gear well part and to make inner area. That hole was just painted on the original part...
    I have built that part from scratch.

[​IMG]

And here it is attached to the landing gear well (the hole is black now :) ).

[​IMG]

Then I have made little "ears" for more comfortable attaching of the bay doors.

[​IMG]

And finally, the whole thing attached to the skin part.

[​IMG]

So thats all for now. Good luck!

To be continued...

--
  17. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello,

Firstly I will talk to you about my beliefs. I do not start any model, while I haven't finished the current one. At the moment, in our Lithuanian forum - www.modelizmas.com we have a group build. Theme - every vehicle, plane or ship from WWII is allowed (Material - plastic or paper, doesn't matter). So while my SR-71 doesn't fit in to the group build restrictions I had begun another model. But I took plastic model (Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIC from Revell) in order not to violate my beliefs. But I won't start any paper model for our group build, till I haven't finished this SR-71. So I will slowly continue this plane to the end (not to hurry is of my modeling laws :) ).

Also everyone can register and take part in our group build. If someone will be willing to take part, ask me and I will translate the rules, because everything is written in Lithuanian. So take this in mind!

If someone doesn't know what is a "Group Build", so it is the small contest, where people build models from chosen theme for some kind of time period (for us, all summer is given). And then they show their models and maybe there will be some prizes for the best ones.

So lets go to the main theme of today's post. I can't continue aircraft skinning since I haven't made wings frames. This plane have untraditional shape, so the wings must be made in early stage - they cannot be attached to the plane later (as in F6F Hellcat or other ordinary aircraft). So I have laminated those frames and then I cut out them. After that, 3 days, the nerves of my right forefinger were dead and I couldn't feel it. Industrial disease...

I will tell You a very important thing about lamination on card of long and narrow parts. Never lamitate frame-parts on thick card, because the parts after cut-out will be imprecise. The best way is to glue together several layers of thin card and then to glue those frame-parts on it. Another important thing is that never glue a piece of paper with several long parts on the card. If you see, that one part is nicely aligned, others will bend because of glue. So you must cut out each part through their straight edge, then make a straight line on the card with pencil and then you can easily align and glue the part to the card. Using this technique I have laminated on card those 30cm lengh and 5mm width parts without any problems.

The pictures:

This is the example of parts alignment:

[​IMG]

Reinforced parts:

[​IMG]

Cut out parts:

[​IMG]

So thats all. Good luck! :wink:

To be continued...

--
  18. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Hello, Mindaugas! :D

I really appreciate the time you took in explaining how you laminate parts for your model, particularly the long, thin ones as I have had some problems with that myself. They tend to curve and warp out of shape just as you described. Your solution is straight forward and makes a lot of sense...I look forward to trying it in the future.

Thanks so much, and more photos when you can, please. :wink:

Cheers!

Jim
  19. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Hello,

First of all thanks for your comments and that you are watching my build!

Today's update is rather short, but I just thought that it must show everything step by step.

I have assembled the frames of the wings. Yet they're not fully built, because I haven't attached the bottom yet. I will do this, when the glue will dry well.

I had a problem with the longitudinal beam. It was too long, so I had to shorten it with the razor.

Another problem, that I am going to confront in the future - is the attachment of those wings to the fuselage. There are not enough instructions and diagrams, and those who are, aren't very informative. I don't know if those half-round parts must reach the edge or not. If they reach it, they probably will smash into the longtitudal beam of the fuselage. I don't know... :cry: :cry:
    So I have glued them to the edge, and if they confound me to work further, I will just cut a piece of these parts with a razor. It won't be a big problem, because those circumcised parts won't change the main shape of the plane (I hope :roll: )...

And some photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all. Good luck! :wink:

To be continued...
    --
  20. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Mindaugas

Great thread with lots of very good ideas to try out :D

I had a look at my copy of this and could not work out how the parts fitted either, you are right not much info in the diagrams :cry:
    your doing a fantastic job on it though

More soon I hope

Rob