Making the Fokker DR.I

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Mindaugas, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Special for Jim Krauzlis, because he asked me to post some model reviews.

So for now, I will show some work of Red Baron's Fokker DR.I triplane.

At all this models is rather tough, because there are many small parts and it's hard to maintain shape and geometry.

Instructions are in polish, but there are many informative and clear schemes. Paper and colours are excellent. Part fit is also perfect. I love Pawel Mistewicz - the author of this magazine.

I cannot guarantee, that in the future all photos will be seen, because www.freeservers.com are sometimes malfunctioning and some of my photos may dissappear. Maybe somebody can tell me, where is better and more reliable site to host photos?

So first photos show about magazine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uncut fuselage formers

[​IMG]

And cut out fuselage formers

[​IMG]

Assembled fuselage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tail

[​IMG]

Wing formers

[​IMG]

To be continued...
  2. Ron

Ron Member

Mindaugas,

The Dr.1 looks great!! I started the kit at one time but never managed to finish it (thats me :)) You can add pictures to your posts here as attachments.
    Try to keep them about 600 pixels in width or less for those folks that have smaller screens..
    I can't wait to see the rest! Great job :)

Ron
  3. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

For today, I've prepared double machine-gun and propellor.

I want to lessen dear Ron's or/and Ashrunner's job, so I've allready made small thumbnails. You will have to click the thumbnail in order to see the large picture.

If admins do not like this, I will edit my message how they want.

Machine-guns

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Propellor

[​IMG]
  4. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Mindaugas

The thumbnails work for me 8v) and the subjects in the photos look great. Looks like the Dr.1 is coming along just fine for you. Can't wait to see the end results.
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Mindaugas,

Very nice work on the Spandaus and prop. The "Axel" decal shows nicely. Thanks for posting on Cardmodels...,

Best regards, Gil
  6. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Mindaugas,

Very nice build of the MM Fokker. May I compliment you also, on your going back and taking the trouble to make the images smaller, plus providing links for them to a larger original. Very considerate of you, and a commendable technique of posting.

Would you mind showing the rest of us how that is accomplished (the links to the pictures, etc.)? If you wish, we could continue that discussion in another thread, e.g. this one.

Best, and looking forward to the rest of your DrI

Leif
  7. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Excellent work, Mindaugas! :D

I really like the way you post the thumbnail with the link for the full sized photo; I've got to digest your instructions on how to do this from the other thread.

I'm so glad you posted this thread on a superb build of the Dr.1, she looks fantastic! :D The work on the machine guns is outstanding.

Looking forward to more photos and updates as you go along.

Cheers!

Jim
  8. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

First of all - the third row of the wings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the aircraft. I've made and attached the first (lowest) and second (middle) row of the wings. The third (highest) row is currently not attached. You can also see all parts, that I've already made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Cockpit

[​IMG]

The axis of landing gear. It looks like a wing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whells. Currently they are not painted. On the left you can see polished and prepared wheel, while on the right you can see unmade wheel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all for now.

To be continued...

-
  9. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

Nice work so far, and great documentation too.

I've (hopefully) got one of these coming soon. This thread will be helpful when I decide to build it.
  10. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Positively outstanding thread!!!!

The photos you have posted show the detail and care you are using to build this awesome project...brilliant work!! Thank you for the wonderful set up with thumbnails leading to some of the best close-up photos I have seen of a model.

More, more, more....please? :wink:

Cheers!

Jim
  11. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Now a little bit about painting of wheels, and their attachment to the main .axis

Here are some photos about painting wheels. I painted them with "flat black" enamel paint from "Italeri". "Model Master" series. Without any smell :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here we can see wheels attached to the main axis. They turn, because I've attached them to the toothpick. :roll:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next post about engine..

-
  12. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Engine 8)

Exaust pipes besides cylinders were given as flat paper parts :? :? , so I made them from copper wire, then I painted them and attached to the engine. Here, take a look at this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, the pipes are completed. Now I have to attach them to the engine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I've temporarily attached the propellor for you to see, how it looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next post will be tommorow. I will show you, how I tried to make the engine hood (I've used advise from this russian site: http://paperwings.newmail.ru/ - TEXNIKA button)

You will evaluate my work. It was the first time, when I've used this technique :roll: :roll:

-
  13. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Engine hood.

In that link, I have mentioned above, I've found an interesting technique, how to make spherical parts.

This technique could be useful in my Fokker's engine hood. It is the first time for me. I've made the experimental hood, in order not to spoil the original hood. And if everything goes well, I will make the same with the original hood.

The hood consist from these parts.

[​IMG]

I've copied the parts and assembled the experimental hood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we cover the hood with a thick layer of glue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we paint it. I made it terribly, but I don't have airbrush and it was just an experiment. :D

[​IMG]

So, I think, that technique stands for itself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analogically I made the original hood. These are the results, please evaluate:

:oops:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be continued....

--
  14. dhanners

dhanners Member

Amazing work so far. Very impressive.

But I would also love to read the Russian website's stuff about making pieces with compound curves. It would come in handy on a project I'm working on right now. But when I go to the website and click on "English version" (as I don't read Russian) I can't get to the page you were talking about.

Is there a translation of it anywhere, or am I just being dense?
  15. cecil_severs

cecil_severs Member

Thanks for a great build thread for this model! I admire your attempt at ths technique. And the results I think are quite good for a first effort. When I was airbrushing the "Junior" it took at least four attempts to get a decent result. The key seemed to be getting a very smooth surface by "treating" the paper with a gesso/glue mix and then sanding with ever finer grits. The last one was a nail buffing stick. Good luck with the rest of the build and be sure to enter it in the current constest for aircraft.

Cecil
  16. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

I am very thankful for dear cecil_sever's advice. I have modified my engine hood. Take a look at this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. cecil_severs

cecil_severs Member

Mindaugas,

You're quite welcome! It does start out kind of messy but you've mastered the sanding and smoothing required to get a great finish. And your engine cowl is looking very smooth indeed!

Cecil
  18. GEEDUBBYA

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

howdy Mindaugas and guys,

In your original posting you asked about a "stable" host for photos. Well, in another thread I spoke of the sites I use. Now these are personal websites, but they are free and both are very similar and very easy to set up and use. there is the occassional pop up ad with the free sites, but there arent many.
    Anyway, go to http://1hwy.com or http://50megs.com, you can choose the lay out of the site using their templates and add a whole lot of pages for photos and text. Its the easiest free website host I have found.
    If you or anyone decide they would like a site at either of these two "hosts", and need some help, feel free to hollar at me at GEEDUBBYA@prodigy.net or drop me a priv. messege and tell me how to get in touch with you. But its so simple I doubt anyone would really need help setting up their own site.

-GEEDUBBYA
  19. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

And now my Fokker DR.I have just enterend the finishing line. Attatchment of the upper wing and some minor details left. I'm going to finish it in about two days. For now, take a look at this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In comparison with cell phone

[​IMG]
  20. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Fokker DR.I is finished :!: :!: :!:

Thanks to everyone for your attention, appreciation, support, advices and patience by visiting this thread and writing posts.

I hope, that in the near future, you will see another model's work process :D :D :roll: :roll: :roll:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]