Making roads

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by pwheeling, Jan 1, 2006.

1. pwheeling

pwheeling New Member

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise. I have my train track layout how I want it. I do not have any scenery yet but have the plans for it. I want to make the roads for the scenery and bought some all ready made road from the LHS,just say not to impressed. I saw the powder to make the roads what is the best technique when making the roads? Thanks all.
  2. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

I am in a similar phase as well, except i have all buildings and highway bridges i need finished. My layout is a semi urban one, so I need lots of roads and sidewalks I was looking into useing styrene sheets, because thats what everyone else seems to use, and it works pretty good apperently.

I was also curious about useing scuptamold on portions of my layout. what works best?
  3. lester perry

lester perry Guest

I use a slow setting plaster I picked up at Home Depot. Don't remember what it is called. Then I painted it gray and added stripes using a very fine point artist pen for yellow and used a dental tool to scratch gray paint for white.

Les
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Check the scenery threads here. Lots of techniques for roads, and variations depending on what type of road you want.
    Cardboard and plaster are common. I have concrete stuff in a tub. Woodland Scenics makes a kit using plaster. Scenery granules glued down for dirt/gravel.
  5. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I use the back side of asphalt shingles, weathered with powdered pastel chalk and marked with Elmer's Painter's paint pens. A coat of clear flat seals it. Here in hurricane country, shingles are like fall leaves up North. :thumb:

Attached Files:

6. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

I mostly use styrene, I've posted some photos before, so instead of reposting them, Here is a link to my Railimages page, the last photo there shows how I create the crown fro a concrete road. As David said, there have been quite a few threads on roads, you may want to search for them.

http://www.railimages.com/gallery/garypfeil
  7. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

I've used both spackle and joint compound with mixed success.
    Ralph
  8. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

That is neat Bob.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  9. johnny b

johnny b Member

Hey there . I'm an X ho modeler who was forced into N scale do to lack of room. In my layout I actually used shirtbox cardboard for the road surface and have had some nice comments on the look . It's very easy to layout , cutout and apply. I hand paited all lines and other details but stickers or decals would work also I suppose. If you're interested I do have some pictures posted in the N cale section under the title "first pics of my layout".
  10. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

I went to a local home improvment store and picked up an interior door skin which is about 1/8" plywood. It was primered white on the one side. I use a jigsaw to cut whatever roads I need and paint it with craft acrlyic paints, feathering out the edges of the road with modeling clay.
  11. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I've used several methods over the years, but I've settled on cardboard being my favorite, because it works well with my "cheap, fast, & easy" philosophy ! :D

In this scene, I used thin "shirt board" for the street, & mat board (used for mounting & framing pictures) for the sidewalk...
    [​IMG]

On this section of my old N scale layout, I had tracks buried in the pavement...to do this I used corrugated cardboard on the outside of the tracks, & filled in between the rails with sculptamold, using a hobby knife to clear the flangeways...
    [​IMG]
  12. pwheeling

pwheeling New Member

Awesome photos Drew. Thanks for the pictures and suggestions.
  13. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Great looking stuff Drew!
    Ralph