Making log cars????

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Hi guys I'm looking for a website/tutorial for scratchbuilding cars, anything in the logging industry IE: log cars/ skeleton/ work/ water and so on. Does anyone have a link to something like this? Thanks Pat

dawg70

May 15, 2008
belg, if you find anything on this please pass it on I am looking into building a HO scale early 1900's logging layout based on the Crossett Lumber Company in Crossett, Arkansas. That later became the Ashley, Drew, and Northern. If I see anything I will be sure to pass it on to you. thanks

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
You can look for Paul Templar's work. He was a long time member here as "Shamus". He did a number of logging themed layouts in different scales over the years. Very inspirational.

Andrew

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
i found if you google "scratchbuilding HO log cars" the freerails site will come up for there scratchin and bashin forum,there youll find a GREAT 3 part series on building an HO skeleton car.and theres also a tutorial for wood log cars on the 2guyz site.--josh

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Guys, the 3 part series from free rails is the one I have saved and bought the parts to make them, but have too many other projects going right now to start another. Thanks for all the info, Pat:thumb:

BillW

Jun 17, 2007
Calgary, AB
Ah,

Just the thread I was looking for. Those cars in that three part series look incredible and I just may try them. Last train show, I got an HO Bachmann Shay I'm ready to learn more about logging railroads. I hope one day to have a logging based railroad but for now I will start slowly and build some rolling stock to go with my locomotive.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
BillW: Though not a website, the following magazines have periodic articles on the construction of various log and special purpose cars.. Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette; Timber Times; Tall Timber Shortlines.

BillW

Jun 17, 2007
Calgary, AB
Jim,

I appreciate the references and will hopefully eventually check them out. If I ever get this logging railway going, it is my goal to scratchbuild as much as I can. I've already scratchbuilt a couple cars and got some more underway. It takes me an awful lot of time but it sure is gratifying. Multipacks of ready-to-run cars just don't give me that feeling of reward. Logging themed railways seem to lend themselves well to scratch modelling, and I suppose that's what I find attractive.

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Bill, its a hobby we do for fun and it does not need any time restriction put on it. Work at your pace and enjoy it when you can. If you want something to show for the time being I have used an old trick of taking a picture glued to a piece of foam core and then gluing it to a couple of skewers and stick it in place where you will eventually replace it with your own scratch or kit version of it, Pat