Making Ground Foam in Your Home

F

Fred_M

Ground foam for your layout is easy to make in any color you want at a fraction of the price of commercial products. I wrote up a little step by step HowTo over on my website to show you how. http://www.2guyzandsumtrains.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=118

Here's a sample. :) Enjoy and have fun. :)

foam.jpg

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
good one Fred, have thought about that before, but didnt know how to chop it up fine enough to make it efectively, now thanks to you I now know the magic secret, water and an old blender... thanks mate...have a good one...steve

colin

Feb 10, 2005
canada
My son and I tried this. Great results; though we didn't put the paint in the blender. But we did put the blender in the dish washer before mom got home... That was close!!!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I believe the thread and Fred can deal with the idea of more than one person using this technique and talking about it. Fred, thanks for starting this thread that shows members how to make inexpensive sceneic materials. Siderod, your pics were very illustrative of the technique. Very cool. Now I just need to find a cheap blender. :)
Ralph

jmarksbery,
I might be reading your post wrong, but it seems to me that you might not totally understand what happened. I wrote the article i posted several months ago...so, Fred's article was of no inspiration to me, nor was it the "original".

Regardless, i seem to be catching some heat for this, despite my non-hijacking intent. That said, as soon as i'm done posting this, i plan on deleteing the link i posted.

I appoligize to anyone whom i may have offended during my "hijacking" of this thread.
AR

revandy

Nov 2, 2004
Cumberland RI
Personally, I think when something like this happens, someone (maybe the Moderator) should step in and review the protocols for posting to increase our understanding of whats proper and whats not and head off noses going out of joint. I find the Guage to be a great teaching tool, and I consider myself very lucky, every day I learn something new that allows me to grow in this craft.
Rev. Andy

revandy

Nov 2, 2004
Cumberland RI
Trainclown leaky blender

TrainClown said:
and to think, I almost got rid of this old blender I got that leaks.

TrainClown ;)
Trainclown, PLEASE JUNK THE BLENDER, if it leaks like you say, its nothing but an electrocution hazard!!!!:cry:
Rev. Andy aka Lemonpeel

F

Fred_M

revandy said:
Personally, I think when something like this happens, someone (maybe the Moderator) should step in and review the protocols for posting to increase our understanding of whats proper and whats not and head off noses going out of joint. I find the Guage to be a great teaching tool, and I consider myself very lucky, every day I learn something new that allows me to grow in this craft.
Rev. Andy
Post #12 was by a moderator Andy, and it appears he said it was OK to HiJack my thread, so that's gauge policy for posting protocols. You all may find that 99.9999999% of your posts hasn't been said, thought of, asked, or posted somewhere by somebody in the past. So if you post something somebody else has seen, done, or posted about in the past they may feel leftout if you post what they assume is their original thought, question, or invention. So they are gonna post "hey I thunk of that first" as retaliation. I never ever read the other link that was posted in my past surfing so even if it predates my writing of the procedure it also in no way inspired me either. I been grinding foam for about two years now, and just though I would share my experience. After weighing theses facts and thinking about net etiquette I think I will just stop posting anything but occasional chit chat with some of my old friends here since it seems I no longer have anything new or original to add. If anyone wants to see what I am doing they know where to find my new work from now on. Just click on the link in my signature. Fred

HoosierDaddy

Dec 2, 2004
Enemy Territory
Fred,

I sure hope that you aren't really going to stop posting anything but chit chat. I for one found your description of how you make ground foam very informative and useful. It's already got me thinking of where to aquire an old blender. I rely on this type of information as I get started in the hobby. I can use all the advice that experienced modelers have to offer. Someday I'll be in a position to do the same I hope.

I didn't see Siderod's posts before they were edited, so I can't comment on that.

HD

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Well, it seems that a couple of posts before my previous one are no longer there so my post appears out of context. A quick recap: Siderod posted an article about foam and scenery that was similar to Fred's. It may be an issue of perspective but I didn't see Siderod's post as hijacking or a way of saying "I came up with this first!" It seemed to me to be supplimental to the thread, not competative. Another member then posted a remark about Siderod hijacking the thread so I posted my reply.

Words sometimes are misinterpreted so I'll clarify my meaning when I said, "I believe that the thread and Fred can deal with the idea of of other people...etc", I meant that I thought they would have no problem with the idea and be OK with it.....not that they would have to put up with it regardles of how they felt.

As for hijacking, this is the first time in the two plus years of my participation on The Gauge that I've ever heard anyone use the expression. Seems to me that a thread might sometimes go in different directions but it should be easy to redirect it back to its original intent with one post referring to the topic.
Ralph

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
There more than one way to skin a cat, or to modle for that matter, I tried to make ground foam a while ago and failed, it was not till I read your post on how to that I found the missing ingeadent, and method, as to your coment that you will not post anything but general chit chat, as you dont have anything new to add to the hobby, I find that to be untrue, weather you are posting something completly new or just a verent on another method, it would be new to me and I have nodout that it would be to others as well.

As for your comment about you not having anything new to add to the hobby, I think that is untrue, as you have two things to give to the newer modleers and that is the bennifite of your knowlage and experance, that we dont have, so I hope for mysake (as well as others) that you do keep posting your how to`s and whyfore`s....have a good one..steve.
P.S thats my 2c worth...total =$0.6