making grass and soil

fran1942

Apr 16, 2005
Hello, is it worth me making my own grass and soil,or is it too time consuming?
Is it simply a matter of getting a bunch of sawdust and dyeing it ?
Can somone please direct me to a website or give quick instructions on the best way to make grass and soil.
Thanks guys for any help.
Phil

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I use a combination of sifted dirt, Life-Like colored sawdust and Woodland Scenics ground foam. The sifted dirt comes from the parking lot, run thru a sieve and then demagnatized using an old CB antenae base for the magnet. I don't know if the Life-Like sawdust is available anymore, I scarf it up whenever seen in box lots and yard sales. I use two or three different shades of Woodland Scenics fine ground foam in every location, varying the green based on what type of turf I'm modeling. Because I do alot of kitbashing and scratchbulding, I can justify the cost of Woodland Scenics material---that and I always buy it at the Christmas half price sale at Hobby Lobby every year :thumb:

Attachments

• dirt.jpg
    dirt.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 91

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
I make my own

I found dry spanisg moss at Wall Mart and tinkered around with grinding it in a food processer when it is first finished it will come out a nice earthy brown color but I add green food coloring and mix it up with a little bit of water makes great ground cover for pretty cheep havn't tried reg leaves yet that idea might be evin cheaper but I dont think it loks to bad
thumbsup.gif
give it a try see what ya think is all I can say if you are like me and the wife hates your railroad ya got to be as cheap as possable
wink.gif

fran1942

Apr 16, 2005
tell me about it brother, I dont think there is a wife on this planet who likes their old mans railroad.
all my hobbies, my wife hates and thinks are a waste of time.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I'm sorry to hear about that, guys. I guess the secret to my success in this hobby is that my wife is my dearest hobby companion. While she does very little modeling herself, she is very supportive of mine and longs for the day when I can build a decent loop of track to run on. In return, I do my best to keep it well within our means, don't make any major purchases without her OK and try my best to spend my affections on her and and the kids and not my trains. :thumb:

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
fran1942 said:
tell me about it brother, I dont think there is a wife on this planet who likes their old mans railroad.

I would not say that fran.

I thought I did not have room for a layout in our apartment. My wife rearranged the living room to give me an alcove for a layout.

There are also a couple of women here at The Gauge who would disagree with you.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Indeed, not every wife hates the trains or the layout--mine is very supportive, and we're getting ready for a railroad museum trip right now! She likes the fact that the hobby keeps me at home more, and even encouraged me to build kits in the living room rather than out in the garage.

And, indeed, she is encouraging me to build a small layout in the living room too! Gotta love that...

Alan B

Jul 13, 2004
fran1942 said:
My wife thinks that model railroading is better for me than betting on the ponies, or chasing fast women, two of my other hobbies. You've just got to get her to have a little perspective, that's all.